Value of: Legit youngish starter to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
"Change your f***ing coach you bunch of left nuts."

- John Tortorella, probably, conveying MXD's thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't see us making a move like that. Between Soogaard and Meralainen, I feel that one of those two will "make it". I guess the question is, will one of them take the reigns in 1-2 years, or in 3-5?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
OP sounds like he's looking for a goalie to cover up for the defensive deficiencies that are in Ottawa.....Basically looking for a top 5 goalie in the league.

The cost of that would be insane.

Nothing indicates that Carter Hart, John Gibson or Dan Vladar would not suffer in Ottawa, much like other goalies they've tried in the last 5 years

Reactions: hn777

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I don't see us making a move like that. Between Soogaard and Meralainen, I feel that one of those two will "make it". I guess the question is, will one of them take the reins in 1-2 years, or in 3-5?
They’re both super young & inexperienced, and you need two goalies to win. I like Forsberg, but his track record is limited and he will be coming off two major LBIs. We might need two goalies, let alone just one

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
OP sounds like he's looking for a goalie to cover up for the defensive deficiencies that are in Ottawa.....Basically looking for a top 5 goalie in the league.

Nothing indicates that Carter Hart, John Gibson or Dan Vladar would not suffer in Ottawa, much like other goalies they've tried in the last 5 years
Not at all the case. Just need league average goaltending.

I think most Sens fans would give a ton of value just to get Anders Forsberg-quality goaltending for 2/3rds of the year.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Before everyone starts piling on about Gustavsson… yes it’s funny that the next season after he gets traded, he’s posting unreal numbers in Minny. But it would be disingenuous at best to believe that if Ottawa would have simply kept him he’d be having the same career year. Obviously he has lots of potential but everyone knows that Minny is a much better defensive team and goalies are much better insulated there. Heck look at Cam Talbot from last year, he played great for Minny (0.911%) until they got Fleury. Let’s just move on and stay on topic.

Edit: Gustavsson was awful for us last year. At the time, the trade was a reasonable bet. I’m also willing to bet that there’s no way he keeps up these same numbers.
Is it unreasonable? It happens all the time. As a Columbus fan I got to watch Philly give up on Bobrovsky after meh seasons and end up winning 2 Vezina's. On the flip side I expect LA or whoever signs Korpisalo to also be very happy with a goalie who has had some very rough years

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
This is another thing literally no one claimed, but that you need to make up so that you can pretend to get one over on someone, anyone, rather than the other way around (again and again and again, almost every time you click “post reply”)
ah, I must have imagined The Summer of Pierre,, lol

it must be something that I made up that wasn't discussed at length all summer on here.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
This is another thing literally no one claimed, but that you need to make up so that you can pretend to get one over on someone, anyone, rather than the other way around (again and again and again, almost every time you click “post reply”)
I think it was a joke because of all the hype his moves made. Was pretty good I thought

Reactions: SlafCaufield

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think it was a joke because of all the hype his moves made. Was pretty good I thought
Yeah, you know, Dorion still added two very good top 6 forwards and a very good top 4 DMan to the team. His failing to address our entire goaltending future by trading a guy who we were almost certainly going to waive for a 35year old 1B isn’t exactly a “gotcha”

If you thought it was a good joke, boy oh boy, will you get a kick out of this tubby orange cat named Garfield. He HATES Mondays, but LOVES lasagna.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
Yeah, you know, Dorion still added two very good top 6 forwards and a very good top 4 DMan to the team. His failing to address our entire goaltending future by trading a guy who we were almost certainly going to waive for a 35year old 1B isn’t exactly a “gotcha”

If you thought it was a good joke, boy oh boy, will you get a kick out of this tubby orange cat named Garfield. He HATES Mondays, but LOVES lasagna.
if you want to read up about some good jokes, read up on the Summer of Pierre!

"We're a team!"

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

None of those 3 goals have anything in common but arguably 2 of them would be better than anyone Ottawa has thrown out there in that time.

Anyway come get your Carter Hart.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
I love how eager you are to distance yourself from your arguments as soon as anyone addresses them. Chatting with you truly is a meeting of the mind.
I'm just reading through the Talbot trade thread in this forum and is laughable that you think Sens fans werent claiming that Dorion had just pulled off a masterclass and fixed the goaltending

you can keep lying to yourself if that makes you feel better but your smug attitude about it doesnt make you correct

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I'm just reading through the Talbot trade thread in this forum and is laughable that you think Sens fans werent claiming that Dorion had just pulled off a masterclass and fixed the goaltending

you can keep lying to yourself if that makes you feel better but your smug attitude about it doesnt make you correct
Lol yeah Sens fans sure were proclaiming Talbot as the goalie of the future

Talbot was expected to be an upgrade to our goaltending and provide stability in tandem with Forsberg. Between inconsistent play and injury to both of them, that didn’t happen.

If you find me one Sens fan who speaks about Talbot starting for us more than 2 yrs down the road I’ll delete my account. You won’t find it, though, because you can only ever make points that are based on complete fabrications and exaggerations

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Trading for a young goalie never works because

1. Their trade value,
2. They are more valued by the team they are currently on.

Outside of a few goalies the general consensus value of a goalie is a 2nd round pick and because of this GM's aren't willing to trade away their young goalie who is a capable backup especially since Goalie development is such a crapshoot.

If the Sens really want to get a "good young goalie" they would have to be willing to part ways with a 1st round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad