Rumor: Leafs trying to trade Nick Ritchie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Really? you don't think the Leafs are trying to trade Ritchie with the deadline coming up?

That sounds reasonable
They might trade him or someone else if a deal makes sense of course, but I doubt that Nick Ritchie is the guy they want to get rid of. Personally, I think he will be on the team come playoff. I think that is why they signed him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Is that why they waived him?
I don't know that answer for sure anymore than you do, but my opinion is they waived him for cap savings. After the taxi squads were eliminated there was a cap constraint. He wasn't getting into the line up regularly, so they risked him on waivers.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
They'll just trade him for some guy who is in LTIR for this season and next. Jake Gardiner, Michael Ferland, Oscar Klefbom. Owners, especially Canadian ones, ain't making money.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They might trade him or someone else if a deal makes sense of course, but I doubt that Nick Ritchie is the guy they want to get rid of. Personally, I think he will be on the team come playoff. I think that is why they signed him.

They are paying him 2.5 million to not play, I don't remember the last time he played.

Yes this team needs grit and toughness, absolutelybut that grit and toughness needs to contribute and Ritchie hasn't contributed a damn thing

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
What's Toronto looking to add in reality (yes, we all know "cap space" but for what)?

And what's wrong with Ritchie? Honest evaluation is there an injury aspect to this, is this a "needs a new start" situation, is this mere downward, unexplained progression or...what's up with him?

Good questions. I will do my best to give as accurate answers as possible.

There is no injury problem that I am aware of. I could be wrong, but IMO it is not accurate that he doesn't care any more. Ritchie went for a very long time with zero goals. Late in the drought, when the Leafs were winning in a blowout, the other Leafs players kept trying to set him up to enable him to break the goose egg. He is clearly well liked by his teammates; I do not believe that he would be as well-liked if he did not care.

The problem is that he just did not fit with the Leafs. He started out on the first line, but it did not work and when Bunting got his chance, he ran (or skated?) with it.

Ritchie was not bad on the third line, but when Mikheyev came off off LTIR, he was much better, (and a helluva lot faster).

Ritchie was a really bad fit on the fourth line with Spezza and Simmonds. They were all too slow. (With Engvall taking the LW spot now, that line functions much better.)

The Leafs would like to dump Ritchie's contract for cap reasons, but they are not desperate to do so and can see the benefits of having him available for the playoffs, especially if they somehow end up playing Washington. (I have not researched it, but have read that Ritchie is the one guy who can handle Wilson.) My guess is that Ritchie will be the most attractive to teams in the Metro division who are more likely to play Washington.

The Leafs are not expecting anything of value back and will take on financial costs that do not affect the cap. For example, when they traded Kapanen, they took back David Warsofsky who clearly had no future in the NHL, but had a salary of close to a million to play in the AHL.

It probably helps that Ritchie has cleared waivers, since a team can keep him in the minors until the playoffs, if they want, or at least until later in the season when the cap hit is not as high.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: teddygmr

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They are paying him 2.5 million to not play, I don't remember the last time he played.

Yes this team needs grit and toughness, absolutelybut that grit and toughness needs to contribute and Ritchie hasn't contributed a damn thing
Admittedly, he hasn't had much of an impact. However they are paying him 1.7 million to play with the Marlies and a cap hit of 1.3 million on the team.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
This guy will return a prospect and a pick maybe.

Bro, even GALCHENYUK got some value back.

He literally cleared waivers. He's at negative value. You've 100% adding to dump him on a team with cap space.

If Toronto needs extra cap room at the deadline this is one of those trade Ritchie and a pick for a lesser pick type moves.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Traction in the league. Only Fridge could suggest that there might be a bidding war for Nick Ritchie.

One team probably wants the leafs to include a second for future considerations, another one wants a third and a fifth.... Bidding war ;)

Reactions: Mike Jones

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
*sigh* How many times do players actually prove to have MORE value while being waived and giving teams flexibility? It happens all the time.
That only apply if the salary is like a million or less. Ritchie is still counting against the cap..

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
If he is buried next year it only costs us $1.3m in cap. LoL at giving away a 1st rounder, not even a 2nd rounder.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wait, WHAT? You mean they want to trade a guy they put on waivers just a little while back? I am taken aback! I just couldn't have seen such a move happening.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Wait, WHAT? You mean they want to trade a guy they put on waivers just a little while back? I am taken aback! I just couldn't have seen such a move happening.
Maybe. That is the rumor. Personally, I doubt it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Agreed.

It would silly to think the leafs would ever pay a first rounder to someone to shed an undesirable contract!
Sure, though in the extreme case they would. In fact, they have. Patrick Marleau was traded along with a first, but the Leafs only had about a week to his signing bonus was due, and as an over 35 player the bonus would have counted on the cap regardless of what happened to Marleau. I agree with you, but there are unique exceptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad