Rumor: Leafs trying to trade Nick Ritchie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
This post is not reporting a rumour, but just giving an example of one of the many reasons why a team may be interested in trading for a player who has already cleared waivers and that they could have acquired for free a few weeks ago.

1) Philadelphia are going to miss the playoffs. They should be sellers at the trade deadline.
2) One of the Flyers best assets to sell is Claude Giroux. The Flyers could receive multiple assets in the trade, including several young players/prospects already signed. They Flyers have other players to sell as well.
3) The Flyers are currently at 49 contracts. Fifty contracts is the max. They will have more flexibility in negotiating trades for Giroux, and other players, if they have fewer contracts.
4) Some contracts have minimal or no value, e.g. Adam Clemdenning is 29 years old and playing in the AHL. The Flyers could be interested in a trade of multiple contracts of minimal or no value to get rid of them and create more flexibility for trades.
5) The Leafs currently have 46 contracts. They would be interested in taking on several, (maybe 3??) contracts that can be buried in the minors with no cap consequences in exchange for 1 contract, Ritchie, with cap consequences.

Again, this is not a rumour but just an example of one of the reasons why a GM may be interested in acquiring Ritchie.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
*sigh* How many times do players actually prove to have MORE value while being waived and giving teams flexibility? It happens all the time.
Problem is those players are signed to cap hits at or below the burial limit. Ritchie has a cap hit well above that. You’re comparing apples to oranges. There’s no chance your orange is an apple.

If Ritchie is moved for players without a pick attached to him, it would be for a similar salary player or combo over players coming back to Toronto.

Reading through this thread it sounds like the leafs need a RHD? How about hamonic for Ritchie?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Problem is those players are signed to cap hits at or below the burial limit. Ritchie has a cap hit well above that. You’re comparing apples to oranges. There’s no chance your orange is an apple.

If Ritchie is moved for players without a pick attached to him, it would be for a similar salary player or combo over players coming back to Toronto.

Reading through this thread it sounds like the leafs need a RHD? How about hamonic for Ritchie?
His hit is 500,000 more and is a slightly older orange. Besides, I doubt there is any traction to this rumor.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
with the Leafs adding Brooks i believe we are send a roster player out soon as i dont see lily spend a ton of time in the AHL and sending Lily down to keep brooks doesnt add up. Maybe Dermy/Anderson Ritchie and a pick for a late rounder and b/c prospect

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Going to be hard to move that 3 million salary for next year , maybe if a second round pick attached to it.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
His hit is 500,000 more and is a slightly older orange. Besides, I doubt there is any traction to this rumor.
Yes he is a little more expensive and older but he also plays rhd which is a more valuable position and from what other leafs fans posted, a positional need.

i figured the extra 500k may be a no go but if they both made the same salary I’d rather just keep hamonic over taking Ritchie. You can never have too much rhd depth

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yes he is a little more expensive and older but he also plays rhd which is a more valuable position and from what other leafs fans posted, a positional need.

i figured the extra 500k may be a no go but if they both made the same salary I’d rather just keep hamonic over taking Ritchie. You can never have too much rhd depth
Fine by me.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm honestly surprised they couldn't find a spot for this guy in the lineup.
Definitely a guy that brings something a little different than the rest of their lineup.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Definitely a guy that brings something a little different than the rest of their lineup.
They will. He is a cap victim. I think he will be in the playoff roster.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

He cant play a top 6 role in toronto
He cant play a shutdow role on 3rd pairing

So the only place he can play in toronto is on 4th line but engval was better with spezza and simmonds than ritchie.

So hes out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad