Rumor: Leafs trying to trade Nick Ritchie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tbh he’s not going to really address that unless it’s on his terms if he gets pissed off in-game. It’s pretty rare

pretty good fighter who could become a modern day goon if he wanted to, i just Don’t think he cares enough to take on such a role

Yeah, that's the thing with Ritchie. He's got almost zero compete/intensity. He *can* throw them with some of the top guys, but 99 times out of 100 he can't be bothered to.

This applies to his physical game as well. He could be a real physical presence if he actually tried, but the majority of his shifts he just seems like a chubby kid out for a leisurely skate. If someone happens to be in his way, so be it, he'll throw a hit. Otherwise, just a bunch of cruise control.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yeah, that's the thing with Ritchie. He's got almost zero compete/intensity. He *can* throw them with some of the top guys, but 99 times out of 100 he can't be bothered to.

This applies to his physical game as well. He could be a real physical presence if he actually tried, but the majority of his shifts he just seems like a chubby kid out for a leisurely skate. If someone happens to be in his way, so be it, he'll throw a hit. Otherwise, just a bunch of cruise control.

I've hated him since the start for that very reason. I think my last comment on him was that Burke would consider him illiterate on a certain subject.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

precisely. I used to like him a bit but the more you see of him the more frustrating he becomes- it’s very apparent he has decent hands and would be able to be valuable if he committed to a physical game, he just doesn’t want to do it. And Brett is an even worse version

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I would rather keep him for the playoffs. He lacks the IQ, skating, and compete to play how the Leafs do with quick puck transitions, but I think in a series against a lesser skilled team who hits the Leafs into playing a cycle style game and slow them down, he would have a chance to shine.

I'm confident there is a GM in the league who will take a player in his prime years who was on pace for 30 goals last season in the offseason. It might not be a contender, but lots of rebuilding teams would value him for a low caphit for only 1 year.

Reactions: banks and teddygmr

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I would rather keep him for the playoffs. He lacks the IQ, skating, and compete to play how the Leafs do with quick puck transitions, but I think in a series against a lesser skilled team who hits the Leafs into playing a cycle style game and slow them down, he would have a chance to shine.

I'm confident there is a GM in the league who will take a player in his prime years who was on pace for 30 goals last season in the offseason. It might not be a contender, but lots of rebuilding teams would value him for a low caphit for only 1 year.

He’s even worse in the playoffs, he can’t keep up with the faster pace and is completely irrelevant for the heavy majority of his shifts as a result

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What's Toronto looking to add in reality (yes, we all know "cap space" but for what)?

And what's wrong with Ritchie? Honest evaluation is there an injury aspect to this, is this a "needs a new start" situation, is this mere downward, unexplained progression or...what's up with him?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A few thoughts here...

It could be something where 2-3 contracts make their way to the Leafs but all 750-1.1M range, teams gain contract slot flexbility, lose some payroll and take a chance on Ritchie. He wasn't truly awful as a Leaf, snake bitten and just didn't mesh with Keefe.

It could be a very soft return or a small sweetener like a C prospect or late pick.

I don't think it will cost a lot on top of Ritchie to move him unless the Leafs are wanting to get an asset from said team.

More likely they'll have to pay Arizona (or some other bottom feeder) a small price to take Ritchie's contract on for next season. They're not getting any kind of positive value asset in return.

And Arizona does need players on their roster next year (they only have 3 forwards under contract).

Reactions: teddygmr

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
There aren’t enough guys in the league who can take lazy offensive zone penalties 16 seconds into a power play, I imagine he’s going to be in demand.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What's Toronto looking to add in reality (yes, we all know "cap space" but for what)?

And what's wrong with Ritchie? Honest evaluation is there an injury aspect to this, is this a "needs a new start" situation, is this mere downward, unexplained progression or...what's up with him?

He's just not good, and never was.

He's slow, takes penalties, and doesn't offer any PK or defensive utility. He can't play that type of Reaves/Carrier big hit and forecheck role because he's too slow to get to the play. He's got some decent hands/finish, so basically, the only effective utilization of him is in an offensive role with other, better offensive players. But if you have a good team, you likely already have better options to put in those spots than Ritchie.

Bad signing at the time, predictable result.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

:laugh: All this for only $3.3 million next year. Crazy he made it through waivers.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019

But is it because he doesn’t have the intensity/ compete or is it that Keefe wouldn’t allow him to play that way? Keefe and Dubas still think that OHL hockey will win in the Stanley cup playoffs. After another first round exit this year hopefully we will get someone to build some intensity around our talent!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The backdiving deal seems like a killer for the Sens, but I'd be open to the idea of Del Zotto + Mete for Ritchie. Gets rid of a guy who doesn't play for someone who presumably would. Mete is redundant in Ottawa and helps balance out the overall money a little bit. Might need a mid pick on either side to balance out as needed.

Reactions: teddygmr

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Well, he's not one of the Leafs 12 best forwards and has been in the AHL with the Marlies for a few weeks. They have Kyle Clifford who they can bring up to be heavy on the 4th line if needed for a fraction of the caphit. So unless the Leafs are down 5-6 forwards, he won't see ice time here to make him worth while.

It was hoped he would be able to work with one of our big four lines, score 20 goals, throw some hits, and maybe fight to protect his linemates. He did hit and fight, but sadly most of the time the puck had long since passed the player he was hitting and he takes a penalty. The Leafs want is cap space gone to add to other areas.

They could use an upgrade on Holl on the Muzzin pairing. They could also use a winger, likely a LW, in the mold of Foligno or someone who can play a playoff style game and move around the middle 6 of the lineup as needed.

:laugh: All this for only $3.3 million next year. Crazy he made it through waivers.

That's real money yes but not his caphit. Try again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad