Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I just want someone (Keefe, Dubas, Shanny) to throw some heat at the refs. Babs called them out 4 years ago and it feels like we ALWAYS get less pp's even when carrying the play. f***ing get over it already.
They should but won't. When Babs called them out they gave the Leafs even less power plays the next 10 or so games as a form of punishment. The league doesnt like it when you want the officials held accountable.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I can live with a loss, but this one is disturbing after watching the Habs dummy that team two times last week.

We've lost games to two of the weakest teams in the league in Ottawa and Edmonton.

We knew our top 4 would have to carry the load, but the other 8 forwards + defence are contributing almost nothing offensively so far.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That was a very ugly game. Reminiscent of the Columbus series where Toronto got so psyched up to play a defensively responsible game that they no showed on the offensive side.

Matthews scored, but there's something off about the spacing on the whole Matthews-Marner-Thornton line. They all seem to want to converge to where the puck is and end up getting in each other's kitchens to the point where they're falling over each other and losing track of the puck. When they do have the puck they seem to hesitate on who to defer to. Got to clean things up and have a coherent game plan out there.

Matthews also seems to be all over the ice, but not in an effective way. As a counterpoint, Leon Draisatl seems like a high volume production guy who doesn't do very much, and when he has the puck takes it to the net in straight lines while staying 'big' to protect the puck. Clean up the approach.

Nylander is moving the puck well, but he hesitates to go right to the net. The stop ups and skating behind the net is not really the most effective play.

Kerfoot is skating really well and handling the puck really well, but unfortunately has zero offensive touch and doesn't like the heavy traffic eras. Mikheyev's ability to rag the puck is fantastic but you wish he would show a little more scoring touch and creativity once he gets there.

Tavares had his worst game yet. Looked more like the 2020 version than the 2019 and 2021 version we've seen so far.

Holl was amazing tonight vs McDavid. The skating, reach, stick positioning was top notch.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Honestly I thought the Leafs played a good defensive game outside of a couple lapses.

They shut down McDavid which is hard to do.

Easy to complain about a game like this where the offense was a no show, but there were some positives which is good since this is early in the season.

Edmonton looks like a very beatable team and I expect the Leafs to win on Friday.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Better team screwed by refs.

So many say it but it actually happened tonight, damn.

Deciding PP called on an actual phantom call sucks man. not a chintzy call but his teammate did it to him and the ref didnt see it and gave the winning a team a PP on a "hunch".

Jeez, I'd be steamed if I was Keefe.

Seriously, I'd love to have homer announcers going nuts on these things though. At no point in the post game analysis so far have they focused on the fact the winning goal was scored on a bullcrap call. It was the play of the game. The way the game was going, we're seeing OT. That one call changed everything. Cant talk about it though.

Reactions: ktownhockey

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I can live with a loss, but this one is disturbing after watching the Habs dummy that team two times last week.

We've lost games to two of the weakest teams in the league in Ottawa and Edmonton.

We knew our top 4 would have to carry the load, but the other 8 forwards + defence are contributing almost nothing offensively so far.
The fact McDavid controlled our top line was a bigger issue than depth tonight

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don’t care if their first goal was fluky or the refs gifted them a penalty that led to the GWG. We shouldn’t have been in that position in the first place. Letting Mikko f***ing Koskinen almost shut you out is unacceptable.

I said on Saturday when Murray was stoning us and keeping Ottawa in it if it was his play or the Leafs incompetence. Based on tonight I have to say it’s the Leafs making goalies look a lot better than they are.

f***ing embarrassing. Flubbed and missed passes, boneheaded defensive miscues that lead to goals. Refs continue to call the game in favour of our opponents. Garbage. Just absolute garbage.

Also for God’s sake how is our ice still bad? There’s no one around but the Leafs! f***s sake.

ItalianLeaf

Nov 2, 2006
Also Montreal isn’t better than us. Montreal is a speedy team that drives the net. That is why they can score 5 goals against Edmonton and their shitty goaltending. If Toronto wants to score they need to stop playing perimeter offense.

Leafs need to play the style of the habs. That is why the habs have the better team. They have a team that plays the right way. If the leafs would actually get their nose dirty and drive the net, with their skill they would be lethal. But the fact is, these flamingos don’t have drive and hard hat mentality.

Stanley Sumdae

Feb 1, 2010
Matthews the only player to do anything. HORRRIBLE game by Tavares Marner and Keefoot. Both teams didn’t generate much.

Why because he scored? That was a very aggressive forecheck on that dump in with the goalie pulled....lol
Hes been decent this year, but beside Mikheyev I'm not kissing anyone's ass in this one.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sorry out-goalied? Man there is a lot of people that don't watch the games in this thread.
Neither team generated much yet Oilers scored 1 more goal. Outgoalied.
Anyways nothing is Freddy's fault so whatever.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Good defensively, but absolutely garbage offensively tonight.

Starting to get a bit worried about the lack of high danger chances we're generating at 5v5. We got a lot against the Jets, but iirc, it's been a drought otherwise.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Cant blame the refs for the loss. We also played shitty against a team that apparently sucks. passes in skates, stupid ass giveaways. Mikheyev might have been the best player for our team tonight. Reilly needs to stop being a ****in snowflake with his shot. Virtue probably has a harder shot.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I’m not making excuses. This is such a weird and unique season with pretty much no training camp and zero preseason games.

I’m going to give teams at least 10 games or so before i see what they’re truly made of.

Don’t read too much into these first few games.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Just couldn't generate a lot but were good defensively. Got outgoalied which will be common for us.
Refs are aeful
Nice of Marner to lay an egg after 2 good games. I get he invented passing and criticism isn't allowed, but man this guy makes 11 million? Yikes.
Outgoalied??? Vesey banked one off Muzzin, the second one bounced off a skate cross crease to the reigning Art Ross winner, and the third one was an empty netter. Freddy sucked the first two games but calling this one an "outgoalied" game is wack af dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad