Proposal: Leafs-Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I think the ceiling is a little bit higher. I’d say a prime P Sharp is a good comparison .
Not even close imo don’t think Mercer has the offensive ability to be anywhere’s near sharp but he has a better defensive ability

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The Devils cap situation is not bad at all.
Not saying it’s bad, just saying when you replace 3-4 players with 1 making the same amount of total salary, you’re also creating 2-3 holes in your lineup. That can’t be just ignored.

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
Last time we tried to shortcut the rebuild we ended up with a 9 million dollar bill for a 6th defenseman and a guy who was released from his PTC.

Stay the course in NJ

Reactions: Guttersniped

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
You were not listening

south-park-we-didnt-listen.gif

Reactions: Smitty426

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Personally, I think the deal to be had with New Jersey and Marner centers around Zacha, Wood, and a draft pick (like 1st round, top 10 protected, maybe you do a 2nd & 3rd in split years.)

In Zacha, the Leafs get a guy who had really high draft pedigree, great size, but who's struggled to really cement himself as a top offensive player. In Wood, somebody with obviously much less upside, but somebody who brings grit to his game and likely fills the role that the Leafs were hoping to get out of Nick Ritchie.

Obviously, you rarely see trades with such an enormous salary swing; but I think this may be the right conditions for that. Both Wood & Zacha are RFAs up for a raise, so the magnitude of the salary swing reduces next year. Marner has an average of $6.2m in actual salary owed for the remainder of the contract, and the Devils currently have $9m in cap space, and Subban's $9m coming off the books this year.

From a Leaf standpoint, it likely fixes their top-heavy cap structure -- freeing up $6m in cap space, plus occupying an additional roster spot. The Leafs could theoretically go out and shop 2 of Engvall, Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Ritchie, plus that $6m, for another impact player.

Leaves Toronto with something that looks like:
Zacha-Matthews-Nylander
Bunting-Tavares-Kase
Wood-Kampf-Kerfoot
Ritchie-Spezza-Simmonds

Last edited:

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I don't think there is a deal to be made here, as NJ should balk at seriously hurting their cap situation for a single player, even if that player is pretty darn good.
I think the Devils would prefer to do this kind of a deal it involved Bratt, Kuokkanen or even Sharangovich instead of Mercer and I don't think Toronto would want them

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
I'm not predicting Mercer to outscore Marner, but he is a star in the making. Realistically he probably pots 20-25 goals 45-55 points this year, which is fantastic for a 19/20 year old center.
Absolutely love Mercer and i understand you guys for not wanting to trade him, but as much as Marner is hated right now by leafs fans he is a top 5 top 10 Point producer în the nhl and will probably be again ..Mercer will never be that..i know Marner sucks în the playoffs but at least he can get u guys there..anyway no deal from both sides, but congrats on Mercer, heck of a player

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
The fact that you think Severson and Wood are replacement level players show just how utterly clueless you are.
2nd pairing defenceman and third line winger. Not surprised you think they are better than that though. Delusional fans.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What’s up with all of the Marner trade threads? At this rate there’s going to be a Marner proposal to every team.

Leafs fans have the patience and time line of a gnat. In the offseason, it was all about, we don't care about the regular season anymore, it's just the playoffs that matter. A full five/six games in, and fans had lost all objectivity, wanted everyone fired, or traded, because they weren't playing to potential (or even that well). A couple more losses, and the wheels have really fallen off the bus. Crazy fanbase, and a lot of them to boot.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I'm not gonna comment on the value but if you put a big strong winger on their line Marner and Hughes would be exciting to watch together. I think with the rigjt guy they be beyond successful together.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Nothing to do about value at all , NJ obviously gets the best player in the deal but we would be very short at C .
With Hughes out and if we traded Mercer plus McLeod we would have to use Zacha at C and call up Boqvist . After that , we have no one close to NHL ready at C . Sharangovich technically could fill in but I wouldn’t want that over an full season .

Devils pass. We don’t have the depth to trade two C’s .
NJ needs a Tarasenko ;)

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
2nd pairing defenceman and third line winger. Not surprised you think they are better than that though. Delusional fans.

2nd pairing+third line are not that bad? Now we're throwing in a top prospect for what? blow up the entire lineup for one player?

Devils needs:
Grit
defence
strong personalities
actual NHL players

What leaves in this trade:
all of the above

What comes in with this trade:
one or two actual NHL players in exchange for 4 and nothing that fixes the other problems.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Leafs fans have the patience and time line of a gnat. In the offseason, it was all about, we don't care about the regular season anymore, it's just the playoffs that matter. A full five/six games in, and fans had lost all objectivity, wanted everyone fired, or traded, because they weren't playing to potential (or even that well). A couple more losses, and the wheels have really fallen off the bus. Crazy fanbase, and a lot of them to boot.
This your first year following the NHL?

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
2nd pairing+third line are not that bad? Now we're throwing in a top prospect for what? blow up the entire lineup for one player?

Devils needs:
Grit
defence
strong personalities
actual NHL players

What leaves in this trade:
all of the above

What comes in with this trade:
one or two actual NHL players in exchange for 4 and nothing that fixes the other problems.
I just don’t see how losing a second pair D and a third line winger for a first line winger could possibly be seen as blowing up your lineup? You would lose a solid prospect but gain an elite talent. I’m not even trying to sell the deal as I would never do this from the leafs perspective.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I just don’t see how losing a second pair D and a third line winger for a first line winger could possibly be seen as blowing up your lineup? You would lose a solid prospect but gain an elite talent. I’m not even trying to sell the deal as I would never do this from the leafs perspective.

Because we like to have the depth those players offer. We still have Holtz coming up who should provide the 1st line scoring. He might not be as good as Marner but we keep our depth.

Honestly I’m not as high on Severson as a lot of Devils fans on here but Holl/Dermott still seems like a downgrade.

No centers coming back to replace McLeod or Mercer.

Yeah too much depth lost.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Only on hfboards is Dawson Mercer, a recent mid first round pick with 4 career points worth more than Marner, who scored 94 points on his ELC, was 4th in the NHL in points last year and is only 24 years old.

Sure Marner has his warts but get a grip. The prospect/rookie overrating is brutal.

Reactions: Arizonan God

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

This trade means the Devils play 3 players you've likely never heard of in their NHL lineup in exchange for an upgrade. They get worse in their weakest areas and better in their strongest.

Only on hfboards is Dawson Mercer, a recent mid first round pick with 4 career points worth more than Marner, who scored 94 points on his ELC, was 4th in the NHL in points last year and is only 24 years old.

Sure Marner has his warts but get a grip. The prospect/rookie overrating is brutal.

Nobody said that. They're saying gutting the team of depth and prospects will make a lottery team a lottery team for even longer.

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

It’s not a 1 for 1 trade proposal.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Not sure why it’s so difficult to understand that a team still in rebuilding mode needs to consider more than just “ohh this player is good.”

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Not sure why it’s so difficult to understand that a team still in rebuilding mode needs to consider more than just “ohh this player is good.”

Because teams that aren't in playoff contention should make trades that move them no closer to playoff contention, but also strip them of their leadership, size, and depth while eating up 15% of their cap when they're about to extend multiple players and already have to replace/extend two defencemen next offseason as it is.

Reactions: Devils Army

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad