Proposal: Leafs-Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Only on hfboards is Dawson Mercer, a recent mid first round pick with 4 career points worth more than Marner, who scored 94 points on his ELC, was 4th in the NHL in points last year and is only 24 years old.

Sure Marner has his warts but get a grip. The prospect/rookie overrating is brutal.
marner on elc would be great. but he comes a long with that contract.

there is not a single new jersey fan is in this thread, who says one of the players in the op is or will be better than marner. look if severson, zacha and wood were on long term contracts, which slightly overpays them each, they wouldn't be in the proposal. this whole marner story is not about marner the player. it's about marner the contract. marner was toronto's golden boy, the darling of the fan base. until the holdout. and the bloated contract was signed. now he is the devil. just the devils don't have interest.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
42 more points for Marner in the same number of games.

I'm not saying Wood isn't a good NHLer, he's just a third line winger which is very replaceable.
if wood is one of the missing pieces in toronto and very replaceable, why doesn't toronto just sign those players of the street? right, they still demand a contract, which values their abilities. like hyman. and without the required cap space, you can't pay them and they walk. like hyman.

toronto pays much more than 11m to marner (and tavares for that matter). it sacrifices their depth for it. first they cut all the meat upfront (jvr, bozak, kadri, c brown, kapanen, johnsson and now hyman) to build up their d-line. they let andersen go for cheaper options. nothing worked. the problem remained the same and the problem is too many big contracts, which limits their ability to round out the roster.

the devils have hischier at 7+m, added hamilton at 9m. they will try to ink hughes to a long term contract below 9m. every other contract should ideally remain below nico's or the devils will quickly get into trouble to sign the young players, they want to keep. trading for marner and his contract kills a solid cap management plan. regardless of marner's qualities he is not the answer for the devils.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
4 players making 40 mil ring a bell lol

Its process of elimination... cant trade matthews... cant trade johnny... nylander or marner? Marner will bring in more. So marner it is
i don't think this is true. i rather have nylander +4 m in cap space than marner. marner is the better player, but no necessarily the better asset in a trade.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
if wood is one of the missing pieces in toronto and very replaceable, why doesn't toronto just sign those players of the street? right, they still demand a contract, which values their abilities. like hyman. and without the required cap space, you can't pay them and they walk. like hyman.

toronto pays much more than 11m to marner (and tavares for that matter). it sacrifices their depth for it. first they cut all the meat upfront (jvr, bozak, kadri, c brown, kapanen, johnsson and now hyman) to build up their d-line. they let andersen go for cheaper options. nothing worked. the problem remained the same and the problem is too many big contracts, which limits their ability to round out the roster.

the devils have hischier at 7+m, added hamilton at 9m. they will try to ink hughes to a long term contract below 9m. every other contract should ideally remain below nico's or the devils will quickly get into trouble to sign the young players, they want to keep. trading for marner and his contract kills a solid cap management plan. regardless of marner's qualities he is not the answer for the devils.
I’ve repeatedly said I would never do this trade from a Leafs perspective so not totally sure what this post is about. Definitely not scrambling to get a player like Miles Wood.

We are also 6 games into the season so I wouldn’t declare all of the moves the Leafs made and their new players to be disappointments at this point.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
A lot of delusional Devils fans here. Marner is far and away the best player in this deal.

With the worst contract . Fans see things their way . There more to value then saying he the better player . Contract matters , Team cap matters , Team needs matters and when you are trading young players their potential matters . Dumbass signed Mathews to a contract that walks him to UFA and signed Marner to a bloated contract and no team is bailing out TML , You guys are stuck with JT and Marner and you will likely see Mathews walk .

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
With the worst contract . Fans see things their way . There more to value then saying he the better player . Contract matters , Team cap matters , Team needs matters and when you are trading young players their potential matters . Dumbass signed Mathews to a contract that walks him to UFA and signed Marner to a bloated contract and no team is bailing out TML , You guys are stuck with JT and Marner and you will likely see Mathews walk .
Yes Marner is such a terrible player...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

meh just leaves more room for Mcdavid to come home.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I’ve repeatedly said I would never do this trade from a Leafs perspective so not totally sure what this post is about. Definitely not scrambling to get a player like Miles Wood.

We are also 6 games into the season so I wouldn’t declare all of the moves the Leafs made and their new players to be disappointments at this point.
i didn't try to make a point, why tml needs wood. you had a better version in hyman and let him go.

my point was about, why the devils don't need marner's cap hit. but you seem to be resistent to view the trade from a devils perspective. enjoy the blinkers.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yes Marner is such a terrible player...

No one has said that Marner is a terrible player...he is obviously quite good.

What they've said is that is a soft, perimeter set up man who is clearly struggling worth that contract?

The answer to that is no.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
i didn't try to make a point, why tml needs wood. you had a better version in hyman and let him go.

my point was about, why the devils don't need marner's cap hit. but you seem to be resistent to view the trade from a devils perspective. enjoy the blinkers.
The point is players like Marner and the elite players are a lot more valuable in the league. Crazy you don't see that. Enjoy Miles Wood he will take you to the promise land I'm sure.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The point is players like Marner and the elite players are a lot more valuable in the league. Crazy you don't see that. Enjoy Miles Wood he will take you to the promise land I'm sure.
as a toronto fan you should be happy, the devils have no intention to trade for him. enjoy him and the promise land.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
as a toronto fan you should be happy, the devils have no intention to trade for him. enjoy him and the promise land.
Leafs can't afford to pay him and build a Cup winning team due to other contracts unfortunately.

Devils fans just don't get how the Salary Cap and talent works. Young second tier talents and good third line wingers is a decent strategy though, might work. As long as you are $10-20 million below the cap ceiling right? Don't want the owner spending too much money.

Reactions: Arizonan God

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
severson and wood aren't the best, but they aren't easily replaceable. sevs is top 4 guy on a great contract, wood was on pace for something like 25 goals last year.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Leafs can't afford to pay him and build a Cup winning team due to other contracts unfortunately.

Devils fans just don't get how the Salary Cap and talent works. Young second tier talents and good third line wingers is a decent strategy though, might work. As long as you are $10-20 million below the cap ceiling right? Don't want the owner spending too much money.

Dude, I can guarantee you haven't seen your beloved Leafs win a Cup (have you even seen them win a round?) and you're over here preaching about strategy? Paying your best 4 players most of your salary cap gets you a nice regular season and a 1st round exit... Building a team with depth wins you championships

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
And Marner was on pace for 100 points...

...and his cap hit is higher than both of those guys combined. it's been said to you over and over in this thread but i'll say it again- nobody is saying marner isn't a good player. but he's not what we need. and we certainly don't need to create holes in our top 9 and top 4 to squeeze his bloated contract through the door. unless toronto retained, i wouldn't trade wood/sevs for marner straight up, let alone with mercer in there as well lol. just crazy.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

the devils don't have a cap wizard like you. :sarcasm:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

You really do not get it. The Devils are targeting being a contender in 2-3 years. The Leafs are the ones that have been targeting the last few years and have been failing to get out of the first round. Mercer type players on ELCs are very important in the cap era. As reference, the first NHL player with a $10 mil cap hit to win a playoff series was Price whose first win with a $10 mil cap hit was against a team with 3 players with a greater than $10 mil cap hit.

Bottom line, there is very little trade demand around the NHL for a wing that takes up 13.4% of cap.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Where's NJ's 1st?
there is no first for toronto, as new jersey doesn't want marner. the only people trying to trade marner are toronto fans, who try to find a landing spot for his cap hit.

there is no market for him. teams in contention can't afford his cap hit. teams in the building process with the required cap space aren't interested. ignoring reality doesn't make marner one bit more valuable.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
there is no first for toronto, as new jersey doesn't want marner. the only people trying to trade marner are toronto fans, who try to find a landing spot for his cap hit.

there is no market for him. teams in contention can't afford his cap hit. teams in the building process with the required cap space aren't interested. ignoring reality doesn't make marner one bit more valuable.

I don't want to trade him, but to say there wouldn't be a market for him, is dead wrong.
Yeah, no GM wants to improve his team...

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not really.

Marner's contract "destroys" the Leafs ability to round out an NHL roster because they have Auston Matthews at $11.6m, John Tavares at $11m, and are presently not getting anything in the form of "substantially underpaid youth". It's created a culture of the "haves and

Pretty much everyone on the Leafs makes what they're "worth" -- Matthews underpaid by maybe $400k, Tavares overpaid by about $2m, Marner overpaid by about $1.5m, Ritchie seemingly overpaid, Bunting seemingly underpaid, Spezza underpaid by about $750k, Rielly underpaid by about $2m, Campbell underpaid by about $2.5m, Holl underpaid by about $1.5m. Kessel overpaid by $1.2m.

The net effect, probably pretty close to 0.

Because they want to win now, they're not really in the position of being able to create an environment for growth for Robertson and/or Amirov, where they might be guys who perform at a $4-5m level on an ELC; or $6-7m level on a $3m bridge deal.

That doesn't really hold true to a team like the Devils; who are nowhere near the cap, and only have 2 contracts that last beyond next year. Yeah, they're big conrtracts in the form of $7.25m to Hischier and $9m to Hamilton. Even if you add the $11m Marner to that equation...and assume $8m for Jack Hughes, it's $28m to your #1C, #1W, and #1 Defenceman or $35.25m to 1c/2c/1w/1d. That's a much better situation than than $33.6m to your #1C, #2C, and #1W that the Leafs have.

The Devils also have the luxury of a guy like Dawson Mercer for the next 3 years on an ELC. Luke Hughes, Chase Stillman, Alexander Holtz, Shakir Mukhamadullin -- all 1st rounders drafted in the last 2 years. The Devils drafted 5 times in the first round over the past 2 years, including twice in the top 10. Leafs only drafted once at 15th OA.
So take out Mercer and Dermott and maybe you got yourself a deal here. 3 for one.

marner for Wood + Severson + McLeod. TML take on $2.75mm + $4.16mm + $975k. = ~$8mm AAV

Send out Marner’s AAV. Save yourselves ~$3mm AAV.

seems reasonable in that light.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So take out Mercer and Dermott and maybe you got yourself a deal here. 3 for one.

marner for Wood + Severson + McLeod. TML take on $2.75mm + $4.16mm + $975k. = ~$8mm AAV

last year there were a ton of marner to colorado proposals. why declined a fan base of a team, which was already contending? the same reasons apply here - just even stronger.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I don't think there's any deal for Marner to New Jersey that doesn't start with Zacha. The Leafs can't really afford to go from Marner-to-zero up front. They need a bonafide top 6 winger to replace him.

Theoretically, there's probably 5 pieces on New Jersey (beyond picks) that are really appealing in a Marner trade -- Zacha, Mercer, Mcleod, Wood, and Severson.

The baseline requirement would be for 2 of the above + pick(s); the goal would probably be to get 3 -- and outside hope that perhaps you can get all 4 (excl Mercer) by including players like Ritchie, Mikheyev and/or Kerfoot; as obviously the Leafs cannot take on 3 forwards and only drop 1.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad