Proposal: Leafs-Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
A lot of delusional Devils fans here. Marner is far and away the best player in this deal.
What's the delusion? No one said Marner wasn't a stellar talent and that he was not the best piece in the trade. We are saying that its too much of the depth of our team to do it. And that when the others on the team come up for renewal it puts us closer to the cap cough- you guys. The Devs are just about there, this move woudl blow up what this 2nd or 3rd rebuild should have been since the Lou Lams days. Great player. Want him, yes. Should give all that up to be better, no.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
A lot of delusional Devils fans here. Marner is far and away the best player in this deal.
He might be the best player but that doesn't make him the most valuable.

Honestly, I wouldn't trade Mercer for Marner straight up. You need to have good young players on ELCs to be competitive these days, and Mercer is already an excellent two way center.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
What's the delusion? No one said Marner wasn't a stellar talent and that he was not the best piece in the trade. We are saying that its too much of the depth of our team to do it. And that when the others on the team come up for renewal it puts us closer to the cap cough- you guys. The Devs are just about there, this move woudl blow up what this 2nd or 3rd rebuild should have been since the Lou Lams days. Great player. Want him, yes. Should give all that up to be better, no.
Mercer is the only quality piece from the Devils in the deal and he isn't even that amazing. The rest are replacement level players.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Nobody's delusional. He absolutely is. That doesn't mean NJ should do this. They'd be losing too much IMO. Don't be so angry.
See above response. Devils wouldn't be losing all that much. No chance I would do it from Leafs perspective.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i am one of the delusional devils fans, who rather stays away from marner. mainly because of the cap hit.

speaking about delusional: dubas, who thought, marner would be worth nearly 11m/yr pre covid. with the flat cap this contract doesn't look attractive at all and if you have to give up the best young talents on elc's for it, it's twice as bad. new jersey would quickly end in toronto's spot. not enough depth to go far in the playoffs and no cap room to build the depth.

why should trade the devils for toronto's problems?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Haven't seen many Devil fans saying Marner isn't the best player in the trade, just that a rebuilding team wouldn't give up their best prospect
If it'd been Holtz instead of Mercer, you'd see a lot more Devil fans willing to do it, but giving up half of their NHL centers is not going to end well

Reactions: MakoSlade

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Haven't seen many Devil fans saying Marner isn't the best player in the trade, just that a rebuilding team wouldn't give up their best prospect
If it'd been Holtz instead of Mercer, you'd see a lot more Devil fans willing to do it, but giving up half of their NHL centers is not going to end well
@WhiskeyYourTheDevils just used a 4 game sample size along with pre-season games to try to make that case...

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
no

i would be willing to trade for marner the player, but not with the current marner contract.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
i am one of the delusional devils fans, who rather stays away from marner. mainly because of the cap hit.

speaking about delusional: dubas, who thought, marner would be worth nearly 11m/yr pre covid. with the flat cap this contract doesn't look attractive at all and if you have to give up the best young talents on elc's for it, it's twice as bad. new jersey would quickly end in toronto's spot. not enough depth to go far in the playoffs and no cap room to build the depth.

why should trade the devils for toronto's problems?
You are acting like Marner has negative value. He is overpaid by probably $2 million but he is an elite talent. Elite talent is hard to come by.

The Leafs don't have the cap space to keep an overpaid Marner due to other contracts. The Devils don't have that problem as much and could use some elite talent.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
@WhiskeyYourTheDevils just used a 4 game sample size along with pre-season games to try to make that case...

I said that I haven't seen MANY Devil fans saying that, 1 dude the rest are fully willing to say Marner is the best player in the trade but with his contract and the fact we'd be giving up our best prospect would be a no go from us

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You are acting like Marner has negative value. He is overpaid by probably $2 million but he is an elite talent. Elite talent is hard to come by.

The Leafs don't have the cap space to keep an overpaid Marner due to other contracts. The Devils don't have that problem as much and could use some elite talent.
being overpaid is the definition of negative value unless you can't reach the cap floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad