Proposal: Leafs-Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mercer is the only quality piece from the Devils in the deal and he isn't even that amazing. The rest are replacement level players.
Not for nothing but Miles Wood scored 3 fewer goals (for about 3&1/2 million less per less) than Marner did last season while playing for one of the weakest offenses in the league...I don't know that I would call Wood a "Quality piece" but I do think he's a pretty unique asset.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Only on hfboards is Dawson Mercer, a recent mid first round pick with 4 career points worth more than Marner, who scored 94 points on his ELC, was 4th in the NHL in points last year and is only 24 years old.

Sure Marner has his warts but get a grip. The prospect/rookie overrating is brutal.

This comment makes no sense at all, nobody said Mercer is better than Marner. This wasn't a 1-1 proposal

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What’s up with all of the Marner trade threads? At this rate there’s going to be a Marner proposal to every team.
He’s got a bad contract. And that contract destroys their ability to round out an NHL roster. That’s a bad contract on any team’s salary cap.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
The first post is literally “this stops at Mercer”

the same person who posted this clarification:

Haven't seen many Devil fans saying Marner isn't the best player in the trade, just that a rebuilding team wouldn't give up their best prospect
If it'd been Holtz instead of Mercer, you'd see a lot more Devil fans willing to do it, but giving up half of their NHL centers is not going to end well

Sounds like he meant Mercer is the tipping point for this.

Last edited:

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Not for nothing but Miles Wood scored 3 fewer goals (for about 3&1/2 million less per less) than Marner did last season while playing for one of the weakest offenses in the league...I don't know that I would call Wood a "Quality piece" but I do think he's a pretty unique asset.
42 more points for Marner in the same number of games.

I'm not saying Wood isn't a good NHLer, he's just a third line winger which is very replaceable.

Reactions: Arizonan God

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
42 more points for Marner in the same number of games.

I'm not saying Wood isn't a good NHLer, he's just a third line winger which is very replaceable.
I would bet large sums of money Marner could not produce half his assist numbers in New Jersey...Ok maybe 60% to hedge my bet. But seriously no way could he produce 40 assist while playing on a line that barely generates 40 goals.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Only on hfboards is Dawson Mercer, a recent mid first round pick with 4 career points worth more than Marner, who scored 94 points on his ELC, was 4th in the NHL in points last year and is only 24 years old.

Sure Marner has his warts but get a grip. The prospect/rookie overrating is brutal.
Only on HFB will you get a poster that cannot figure out why a teams fans would not want a player that takes up 13.4% of cap compared to a player that takes up 1.1% of cap. I would rather have Mercer and $10 mil in cap space than Marner.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't have much interest in Marner's bloated contract and I have less interest in trading Dawson Mercer given how he has looked. I have even less interest than that in trading Severson because of our (lack of) depth at RD in the organization, even after signing Hamilton.

the Devils have enough "set up" guys. They need goal scorers.

Reactions: Ruutu Tootoo

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I would bet large sums of money Marner could not produce half his assist numbers in New Jersey...Ok maybe 60% to hedge my bet. But seriously no way could he produce 40 assist while playing on a line that barely generates 40 goals.
I would imagine the line would generate more than 40 goals if Marner was on it...

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Only on HFB will you get a poster that cannot figure out why a teams fans would not want a player that takes up 13.4% of cap compared to a player that takes up 1.1% of cap. I would rather have Mercer and $10 mil in cap space than Marner.
Bizarre way of thinking. Not everything is about having cheap players. You wouldn't trade McDavid for Mercer?

Reactions: Arizonan God

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Bizarre way of thinking. Not everything is about having cheap players. You wouldn't trade McDavid for Mercer?

I wouldn't trade McDavid for Mercer, no. Also, if you're going to grossly exaggerate one side of the trade you should at least bump up the other side?

Like Marner for Mercer Severson Wood McLeod vs McDavid for Hughes Hamilton Zacha and Tatar

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He’s got a bad contract. And that contract destroys their ability to round out an NHL roster. That’s a bad contract on any team’s salary cap.

Not really.

Marner's contract "destroys" the Leafs ability to round out an NHL roster because they have Auston Matthews at $11.6m, John Tavares at $11m, and are presently not getting anything in the form of "substantially underpaid youth". It's created a culture of the "haves and

Pretty much everyone on the Leafs makes what they're "worth" -- Matthews underpaid by maybe $400k, Tavares overpaid by about $2m, Marner overpaid by about $1.5m, Ritchie seemingly overpaid, Bunting seemingly underpaid, Spezza underpaid by about $750k, Rielly underpaid by about $2m, Campbell underpaid by about $2.5m, Holl underpaid by about $1.5m. Kessel overpaid by $1.2m.

The net effect, probably pretty close to 0.

Because they want to win now, they're not really in the position of being able to create an environment for growth for Robertson and/or Amirov, where they might be guys who perform at a $4-5m level on an ELC; or $6-7m level on a $3m bridge deal.

That doesn't really hold true to a team like the Devils; who are nowhere near the cap, and only have 2 contracts that last beyond next year. Yeah, they're big conrtracts in the form of $7.25m to Hischier and $9m to Hamilton. Even if you add the $11m Marner to that equation...and assume $8m for Jack Hughes, it's $28m to your #1C, #1W, and #1 Defenceman or $35.25m to 1c/2c/1w/1d. That's a much better situation than than $33.6m to your #1C, #2C, and #1W that the Leafs have.

The Devils also have the luxury of a guy like Dawson Mercer for the next 3 years on an ELC. Luke Hughes, Chase Stillman, Alexander Holtz, Shakir Mukhamadullin -- all 1st rounders drafted in the last 2 years. The Devils drafted 5 times in the first round over the past 2 years, including twice in the top 10. Leafs only drafted once at 15th OA.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I wouldn't trade McDavid for Mercer, no. Also, if you're going to grossly exaggerate one side of the trade you should at least bump up the other side?

Like Marner for Mercer Severson Wood McLeod vs McDavid for Hughes Hamilton Zacha and Tatar
An exaggeration to prove your point was a bad one.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I don't have much interest in Marner's bloated contract and I have less interest in trading Dawson Mercer given how he has looked. I have even less interest than that in trading Severson because of our (lack of) depth at RD in the organization, even after signing Hamilton.

the Devils have enough "set up" guys. They need goal scorers.

Goal scorers with grit that want to get in the dirty areas. Power Forward type.

Honestly, what the Devils need is to be is tougher to play against. Mentally and physically tougher on the bottom 6.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
McDavid is easily worth his contract. Marner is overpaid.

If Toronto would retain 2 to 3 Million on Marner, he would gain value in trades. But for Toronto this obviously defeats the purpose of gaining cap space.

All those Marner proposals have the same issues. Marner for young, cheap roster players, futures and cap space only helps Toronto. The teams with cap space are building for the future. Marner doesn't get them much closer to contention. But very close to cap hell.

I value cap flexibility at the moment much higher than Marner from a Devils perspective.

Would you rather have Hamilton as an UFA or Marner for OPs proposal? It's not even debatable.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad