Proposal: Leafs-Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don't think there's any deal for Marner to New Jersey that doesn't start with Zacha. The Leafs can't really afford to go from Marner-to-zero up front. They need a bonafide top 6 winger to replace him.

Theoretically, there's probably 5 pieces on New Jersey (beyond picks) that are really appealing in a Marner trade -- Zacha, Mercer, Mcleod, Wood, and Severson.

The baseline requirement would be for 2 of the above + pick(s); the goal would probably be to get 3 -- and outside hope that perhaps you can get all 4 (excl Mercer) by including players like Ritchie, Mikheyev and/or Kerfoot; as obviously the Leafs cannot take on 3 forwards and only drop 1.
So Zacha + wood + McLeod for Marner. There you go. They may go for it. You get all three, NJ doesn’t trade picks or have to eat depth players like Kerfoot they don’t want.

you can waive Ritchie. He’d get picked up. So that solves your problem.

they lose a solid player in Zacha that goes to TML 2nd line. Plus two Good depth pieces to get an overpaid 1st line winger.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He might be the best player but that doesn't make him the most valuable.

Honestly, I wouldn't trade Mercer for Marner straight up. You need to have good young players on ELCs to be competitive these days, and Mercer is already an excellent two way center.

Bro come on.

Mercer turned 20 yesterday. He's got 2g 4p in 5gp after 2g 3p in 3gp in the preseason.

Marner has 0g 2p in 8gp, costs $10M more, and has been terrible in the playoffs.

You knew before hitting post this is a bad argument..

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
So Zacha + wood + McLeod for Marner. There you go. They may go for it. You get all three, NJ doesn’t trade picks or have to eat depth players like Kerfoot they don’t want.

you can waive Ritchie. He’d get picked up. So that solves your problem.

they lose a solid player in Zacha that goes to TML 2nd line. Plus two Good depth pieces to get an overpaid 1st line winger.

Sign me up... Zacha, Bunting, Wood, Engvall form the team's left side. Matthews, Tavares, Kampf, Kerfoot in the middle. Nylander, Kase, Simmonds, Spezza on the right and McLeod as a 13th forward.

Ideally shop Ritchie & Mikheyev for a 2nd line right winger in the ~$5m range, making Simmonds a 14th forward.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
if Marner were so great, why is he popping up in every other Leafs trade proposal on these boards?

There is a reason why.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Because Mitch Marner is a first team all star who has scored at a 90+ point pace over the last 3 years.

Dawson Mercer has played 5 NHL games.

Then Toronto can KEEP HIM. Why is he being included in this if he's a first team all star at a 90+ pace?

NJ will keep the depth for now. We don't need to make a trade at this time, especially for another playmaker. We need goal scorers.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Sorry you don't like it, but I've watched a lot of both guys and I'd take the player with 3 more ELC years left.

Marner at $11M holds very little value IMO.

5 games. 5 games and you remove years of Marner's career and reduce it to 7 of possibly the worst of his career while the team is on a massive negative PDO bender.

Even ignoring this obvious sample issue, you are also ignoring completely usage. Mercer is getting top 6 minutes. Marner was on the third line as a rookie.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
if Marner were so great, why is he popping up in every other Leafs trade proposal on these boards?

There is a reason why.

Because Tavares has a NMC, Matthews is Matthews, so it comes down to Nylander or Marner being moved to restore some roster depth and fix the cap issue. Nylander is a better bang for your buck, and has been a better playoff performer. So Marner goes.

Marner has most of his contract paid, being owed roughly 5m in cash a year. He's been on pace for 90+ points every year but his rookie year, and done it. Was on pace for over 100 last year. He's an elite player.

So the expectation is, trade Marner, get a solid roster player back and maybe some picks and prospects. Cap is fixed, offense is downgraded but depth upgraded.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

There is a reason why.

Yes -- their names are Auston Matthews, John Tavares, William Nylander, and now, Morgan Rielly.

His contract is "worse value" than Matthews or Nylander. Tavares is the captain of the team, who plays centre, and has a full NMC. Rielly the only defenceman in that group. Simple process of elimination.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Mercer has been Devils' best forward after Hughes went down. Far and away more skilled and poised on the puck than Hischier, for example. Devils can't trade a kid like that. I love Marner, though. I'd do Bratt or Zacha + McLeod + Severson + 1st rounder (top10 protected), not sure value would be there for the Leafs...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
5 games. 5 games and you remove years of Marner's career and reduce it to 7 of possibly the worst of his career while the team is on a massive negative PDO bender.

Even ignoring this obvious sample issue, you are also ignoring completely usage. Mercer is getting top 6 minutes. Marner was on the third line as a rookie.
Then keep him. I already told you why I wouldn't trade Mercer for him.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'd do Bratt or Zacha + McLeod + Severson + 1st rounder (top10 protected), not sure value would be there for the Leafs...

Honestly, if the Leafs are prepared to admit that they're wrong about the "big 4" upfront -- that is a really good deal too. Zacha gives them an immediate top 6 replacement, McLeod a guy that probably has some Kerfoot-replacement upside, and Severson a right-aged defenceman, who might be able to supplement / eventually replace Muzzin's physicality.

I'd go as far as saying that with Rielly's new deal in place, it would also enable the Leafs to move a guy like Dermott, and ensure that their D is anything but a concern with the flexibility to pretty much make any pairing with Brodie/Holl/Severson on the right, and Rielly/Muzzin/Sandin on the left.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Mercer has been Devils' best forward after Hughes went down. Far and away more skilled and poised on the puck than Hischier, for example. Devils can't trade a kid like that. I love Marner, though. I'd do Bratt or Zacha + McLeod + Severson + 1st rounder (top10 protected), not sure value would be there for the Leafs...

oh dear no

lukeleim

Dec 1, 2009
Calgary
New Jersey Devils
Mitch Marner
Justin Holl
Alex Kerfoot

Toronto Maple Leafs
Damon Severson
Dawson Mercer
Pavel Zacha

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

mercer started on the third line and moved up because of jack's injury.

if you are so into past accomplishments, we might can send you a washed up subban at 50% for amirov and a first. you get a former norris trophy winner with stanley cup finals experience. no?

then let's focus on marner with the devils. he wouldn't play with elite goal scoring centers in new jersey. no matthews and no tavares. in new jersey he probably would be closer to a 70+ winger. the best offensive talent in new jersey is jack hughes. a small playmaker, who excels at zone entries and setting up his teammates. the devils hope to sign him at below 9 million long term. adding marner, who duplicates the same strength, and is just a little bit less dynamic, would give jack's agent good reasons to ask for the same contract. no thanks regardless of the ask from toronto.

i am not interested in trading for marner unless toronto retains 3 million on the contract. phil kessel 2.0, baby.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Once again.

This is not a value thing. This is a cap flexibility and asset management issue. The Devils don’t want to strap the cap with one player early on and trading three players for one while that one player takes up over 10% of the cap is bad asset management at this point. Devils just need to be patient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad