Leafs Chances of Making Playoffs (Reddit User)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
You totally missed the point, yes win your division, but and that's a huge but you shouldn't have to play the 2nd or third best team in the division 1st round to win the division.

Reactions: The Masters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We've got an interesting run to Christmas. Nine games, three against Buffalo. If we manage 5 or 6 points there, that will help immensely. We've got a few tough games, St. Louis and Edmonton have been great this year, standing 3rd and 4th in the league in points. Those will be good benchmark games for us. The Flyers and Colorado have been decent as well, and the more recently struggling Canucks and Flames. Success in this nine game stretch, could see us solidify a top three spot in the Division.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We've got an interesting run to Christmas. Nine games, three against Buffalo. If we manage 5 or 6 points there, that will help immensely. We've got a few tough games, St. Louis and Edmonton have been great this year, standing 3rd and 4th in the league in points. Those will be good benchmark games for us. The Flyers and Colorado have been decent as well, and the more recently struggling Canucks and Flames. Success in this nine game stretch, could see us solidify a top three spot in the Division.
12 games before now and Christmas

horner

May 22, 2007
Iam waiting for the Colorado, St. Louis, Vancouver and Edmonton games before making a judgement on how good our team is .

I still want to see this teams defence against some really good teams .

Detroit was a practice Buffalo a step up.

I feel confident that we will be at least in the wild card position.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Looking more and more like the final two spots in the Atlantic will be fought over by Tampa, Florida and us

I like our chances

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
giphy.gif

Reactions: Eb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
US Thanksgiving has come and gone and often used as measuring stick for NHL teams..

Since the Salary Cap was instituted a decade ago teams in playoff spot at US Thanksgiving have had a ~75% playoff appearance record.

Those outside the playoffs at this time make up about ~25 % who end up clawing their way back in.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

GTHLDad

Dec 15, 2009
US Thanksgiving has come and gone and often used as measuring stick for NHL teams..

Since the Salary Cap was instituted a decade ago teams in playoff spot at US Thanksgiving have had a ~75% playoff appearance record.

Those outside the playoffs at this time make up about ~25 % who end up clawing their way back in.
Than I'm (US) Thankful that we've played more games than almost anyone else :)

horner

May 22, 2007
Unless our defensive play and lazyness gets better we will not make the playoffs.
Our top players need to be a shit load better in the dzone .

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yep they should seed the division 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5. They want to create rivalries by doing the 1 vs WC and 2 vs 3 but IMO when you guarantee you are going to eliminate 2 top seeds in the 1st round (either #2 or #3 is eliminated from each division in the 1st round), it creates a watered down playoffs.

Heck at one time we had a HUGE rivalry with St Louis and Chicago.. the good old Norris days or was it the Smythe?

Playoffs create rivalries.
Assuming that the 2 and 3 seed in each division are better than the 4 seed in the other, you logic is wrong.

If you are saying the 2 and 3 seed in each division are "2 top seeds", that means you consider the third to sixth seeds in the conference "top seeds". In the 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 system, you are still losing exactly two of the 3-6 seeds.

The only time it makes a difference is when one division has more good teams. If, for example, the Met has three if the top four teams in the conference, then their 2-3 matchup would result in one of the real "top teams", 3 or 4 in the conference, being eliminated. (Based on points%, that's the situation today.)

Having said that, I personally prefer the straight 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 version. I'd also like to see a crossover between conferences in the semi-final, so the best two teams meet for the Cup.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
only ottawa , NJ and detroit has a worst P% .........
they need a 8 to 10 game winning streak just to make a wild card spot

Reactions: The Masters

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I didn't question it at the start of the year. Or during the rough start. Or during the losing streak. Or when Babcock was fired.

I still felt, the whole time, that they would make it. And the start from Keefe only solidified that.

But now I have to admit, it's looking more likely that they miss than make it. The losses have piled up too high, now. It's going to be pretty hard to go the rest of the season winning more than 3 of every 5. It's a pretty grim outlook from here.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017

That may be true but this year there are many teams just outside the bubble that have played 2-3-4 games less than the Leafs. It doesn't look good.

Mar 26, 2010
I didn't question it at the start of the year. Or during the rough start. Or during the losing streak. Or when Babcock was fired.

I still felt, the whole time, that they would make it. And the start from Keefe only solidified that.

But now I have to admit, it's looking more likely that they miss than make it. The losses have piled up too high, now. It's going to be pretty hard to go the rest of the season winning more than 3 of every 5. It's a pretty grim outlook from here.
Season is lost. No question about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad