Calvin Pickard signed for 2 years, 1 mil avg per year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I think it's a bit of an overpay for a career inbetweener.
The one-way deal with a second year term is the real reward here, think we overpaid by about $200k per year. That could have been better spent for a cap strapped team.
Holland is gone, but man this looks like the Derek Ryan contract.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Rodrigue wins the backup spot just waive Pickard down to the minors. No harm no foul. And if he can't, than no one is grabbing him off waivers from us. Everyone has prospect like him.
Yup, or if Campbell wins it as well..

If anything it should have been 200K more to really make GMs think before claiming him on waivers

Reactions: grego

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Low enough salary to be a #3 and not have his cap hit count on the cap. High enough salary to not be claimed in waivers. Was a good backup to Skinner plus the players liked him. Zero risk signing.
And you can dump,him cheap if someone else makes the scene. All good.

I think it's a bit of an overpay for a career inbetweener.
The one-way deal with a second year term is the real reward here, think we overpaid by about $200k per year. That could have been better spent for a cap strapped team.
Holland is gone, but man this looks like the Derek Ryan contract.
Serious?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Beside this year, last time he posted an above 900 save % in the NHL was 8 years ago.
Who else is bidding on him and offering a 2 year one-way?

Whether it's a one way or a two way doesn't matter unless you are Katz. It just means that he will get paid his NHL salary in the AHL if he is sent down.

The second year on the deal is a great thing because the contract can be completely buried in the AHL if Pickard struggles. Worst case scenario, we send him down and the Oilers are completely cleared of his cap hit. Best case scenario, Pickard continues to play well and we have our goaltending tandem locked up at $3.6 million for the next two years. There is no risk at all.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
It matters this year because he's overpaid by 20%.
You overpay one player by 20%, then another, then another...pretty soon you are 20% less good.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Yup, or if Campbell wins it as well..

If anything it should have been 200K more to really make GMs think before claiming him on waivers
After how he helped stabilize backup this year I would have been ok with a two year contract at maximum amount to bury if the gm had decided to go that way. Because then if you pass him through wavers it makes a team think about it longer.

That also hinges in things like Campbell a buy out or so you try to salvage it and let him play and hopefully make it so you can dump him more easily to make pickard the backup after a trade.

Who knows what the team will do but it is nice to have a decent backup

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I guess that means the last year's soup gets bought out? Or is it cheaper to keep him buried in the minors?

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I will say I like pickard as a backup because I see he is starting and I don't get the feeling that the oilers offense has to go crazy to win, and we don't need defensive perfection. He is a good goalie. He plays and gives the team a chance to win, add in a good cost and it is all u expect of a backup

Reactions: TB12

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
You overpay one player by 20%, then another, then another...pretty soon you are 20% less good.

In an ideal world we could give every player we sign the league minimum but that's not how things work. Believe it or not, Pickard has leverage. He's probably a top 5 goalie on the market this free agency. It's that thin out there. Imagine letting him walk over $200k and then having to replace him with an unproven, $800k goalie. It's not worth the risk.

Reactions: TB12

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
You could lose pickard over 200k then have to sign a more expensive backup. The goalje market is thin in the offseason. And his entire cap hit can be buried in minors if someone else beats him out.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Beside this year, last time he posted an above 900 save % in the NHL was 8 years ago.
Who else is bidding on him and offering a 2 year one-way?
Fyi, two way and 1 way have nothing to do with being able to waive or being able to bury cap hit. 1 way just means he gets that nhl pay no matter what. Otherwise when he is in the minors hed instead get paid the minor league salary which is less than the nhl league minimum and only get prorated nhl salary when he is up pn the team. Slightly more than 1 mil can be buried(its the nhl league minimum+ 325k that is amout that cam be buried from a player in minor league) and that cap hit is buried whether its 1 way or 2 way. Thw only thing the 1way effects in that instance is the actual money being paid. Not the cap hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad