Leafs Chances of Making Playoffs (Reddit User)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Florida has bad goaltending and they haven't exactly been consistent either...they have two wins where they came back from 4-0 down. It's extremely unlikely to see them playing at a 100 point pace IMO. We'll make it.

Might even be a blessing to face Tampa instead of Boston every time.
We have 1 point in 31 games from backup goaltending. What’s our plan?

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
All these numbers being run saying we need 96 points for a WC spot are failing to take into account where the rest of the Atlantic is. We are not very far behind.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
All these numbers being run saying we need 96 points for a WC spot are failing to take into account where the rest of the Atlantic is. We are not very far behind.

Yea, it may not take 96 points to get 3rd in Atlantic. Having said that, unless we get more points in a hurry from our backup goalies it won't matter. Or Leafs just play Andy literally every game?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
With Andersen in net: 106 point pace
With our backups: 12 point pace (lol)

We're a top of the line team with Freddy in net, without him we are the worst in history (small sample size which would change but still). We need a new backup so we can pickup these points. If we get a solid one I don't doubt us making the playoffs

Reactions: Vaive50

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
We have 1 point in 31 games from backup goaltending. What’s our plan?

You make it sound much worse that it really is, we do not have 1 point in 31 games from our back-up(s), it's 1 point in 7 games from backup goaltending where only one of those losses is with Keefe as coach and even that was a 1 goal loss that wouldn't have happened if Matthews wasn't such a bonehead that game.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You make it sound much worse that it really is, we do not have 1 point in 31 games from our back-up(s), it's 1 point in 7 games from backup goaltending where only one of those losses is with Keefe as coach and even that was a 1 goal loss that wouldn't have happened if Matthews wasn't such a bonehead that game.

The math is simple. To get a playoff spot, we would need at least 41 wins. Andy already has 14, he will probably end up with 35 or so. They need at least 6 wins out of the backup goalies from now on. Unless the plan is to give Andy 65+ starts? They may have to. He will need to set a franchise record for wins in order for us to make it UNLESS we get something from our backup goalies. Not saying we won't or we can't, just stating the facts.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
yep lets make the playoffs so we can get bounced by TB in 4 games

Yeah, they were scary good in the playoffs last year. It is a foregone conclusion they would destroy us in the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Lets focus on getting into the playoffs before we worry about our opponent. Anything can happen if we make it, especially since it would mean we had a great 2nd half.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Stupid Sharks.
Stupid Oilers.

Well the Panthers beat the Sharks but the Oilers and Sabres are tied at 2 going into the third, the Oilers can easily win this one. The game is in Edmonton and both McDavid or Drai have not scored or assisted yet so they're due.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Well the Panthers beat the Sharks but the Oilers and Sabres are tied at 2 going into the third, the Oilers can easily win this one. The game is in Edmonton and both McDavid or Drai have not scored or assisted yet so they're due.

Oilers were losing 2-0 when I posted that.

They scored 2 goals after I called them stupid. It's called tough love.

They can win it now.
You're welcome.

That said Oilers would be stupid if they lose it after a 2 goal comeback.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Yea, it may not take 96 points to get 3rd in Atlantic. Having said that, unless we get more points in a hurry from our backup goalies it won't matter. Or Leafs just play Andy literally every game?

I agree, but these mathematical calculations of projected spots vs remaining points mean absolutely nothing when 5 teams are literally within 5 points of each other for 2 spots. We don't need to have a .655 point percentage to make the playoff if 3/4 of those other teams play .550 hockey the entire way, we need to be 1 win better then them.

The backup spot is concerning for sure, I don't exactly have an answer for that but we're going to need some of those wins.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I agree, but these mathematical calculations of projected spots vs remaining points mean absolutely nothing when 5 teams are literally within 5 points of each other for 2 spots. We don't need to have a .655 point percentage to make the playoff if 3/4 of those other teams play .550 hockey the entire way, we need to be 1 win better then them.

The backup spot is concerning for sure, I don't exactly have an answer for that but we're going to need some of those wins.

What's concerning is that Florida is up by 3 points with 2 games in hand and TB is down 1 point with 4 games in hand. The math really sucks. Leafs will have to go on a run now, not next month, now.

Reactions: Blowfish

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Leafs have to win 4 more than Florida by the end of the year.

one more than montreal and buffalo.

It’s very much achievable. If I’m not mistaken. Last nights game marked the end of our tough stretch.

Most back to backs out of the way. Of the top teams we have played

boston 3/4
Wash 2/3
Col. 2/2
St lou 2/2

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

toasterart

Mar 31, 2015
right now the Leafs are on an 84/85 pt pace.. but they were on a 78/79 pt pace under Babcock. Under Keefe's small sample size they're on a 102.5 pt pace. If they maintain the Keefe pace they wind up with 95/96 points. With our roster getting healthier, and time to adjust under Keefe's new system, and with our schedule getting supposedly much easier in the 2nd half, there's reason to be optimistic about us finishing higher still. Of course, this is the Leafs, so nothing is ever done the 'easy' way, so I imagine this will be a dog-fight all the way down to the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad