Confirmed with Link: Boqvist waived for buyout purposes

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's sad that he couldn't stay healthy and find more ways to improve.

I felt that he did improve a lot in the last couple years, but that was from being a striking negative (I was sure that he was not an NHL caliber player) to being worth a positive but somewhat lower amount than his $2.6m contract. It makes sense that he was bought out given how cheap the buyout is (we even get a cap bonus for it this year??).

And for a team that needed to improve defensively this is a subtraction you have to make.

Reactions: LJ7

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Always liked Boqvist, I guess more for the potential than what he actually brought... but if he can become a more robust individual he could still become a good d-man, he has some talent and had a good trajectory but just injured way too much. In a way he's kinda like the Roslovic of D-men though :D

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
They give up too many goals. How much of that is Elvis and how much is the defense is a fair question. Seems that Waddell is going to give the goalie one more year so he is focusing on the defense first.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm thinking back to when Jarmo gave Boqvist that 3 year $2.6m per contract.

He was in my estimation not even NHL caliber at the time, so despite improving since then he still needs to be bought out.

Jarmo loved the smell of his own farts, if you know what I mean.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Neither Bean nor Boqvist were long-term pieces of the defense at any point in time in my eyes so I'm completely fine with both leaving, it's just unfortunate we aren't getting anything in return.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Kinda surprised to see no interest in terms of assets back.

I've always liked Boqvist, he certainly could run a PP better than Werenski.

I hope Waddell knows what's he's doing bc there's been some interesting moves so far.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

He was in my estimation not even NHL caliber at the time, so despite improving since then he still needs to be bought out.

Everyone was happy that DW was getting rid of Jarmos mess ups, which is good.

But the real test of a GM is how they handle their own mess ups. Obviously Jarmo wasn't the greatest, we'll see how well DW handles it in the future.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Neither Bean nor Boqvist were long-term pieces of the defense at any point in time in my eyes so I'm completely fine with both leaving, it's just unfortunate we aren't getting anything in return.
they were two lottery tickets with draft pedigree who fit the cbj philosophy of wanting high-activation defensemen. bean, in particular, was a force in the AHL and a lot of that looked translatable.

talent evaluation wasn't necessarily the issue here – development (on top of injuries) and wonky roster building was.

guys like bean and boqvist need specific scenarios to succeed, and providing those scenarios gives them runway to round out their game and eventually outgrow that usage. but the roster construction + coaching staff philosophies were not conducive to that.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

IMO the biggest issue with Boqvist ended up being he played a total 76 games under that contract, ie. he was injured all the time. I don't think he was that bad when he was actually playing, but admittedly being roster worthy in Blue Jackets defense hasn't been a high bar to clear. Still, if he had been good for 60+ games both those seasons, I think he would've been able to stablize. If he can stay healthy I think he'll turn out OK. That's a big if though, maybe he needs to go gain some momentum somewhere else. I could see him being a star in some top level euro league with a 50-60 game schedule and lesser competition.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
they were two lottery tickets with draft pedigree who fit the cbj philosophy of wanting high-activation defensemen. bean, in particular, was a force in the AHL and a lot of that looked translatable.

talent evaluation wasn't necessarily the issue here – development (on top of injuries) and wonky roster building was.

guys like bean and boqvist need specific scenarios to succeed, and providing those scenarios gives them runway to round out their game and eventually outgrow that usage. but the roster construction + coaching staff philosophies were not conducive to that.

Talent evaluation was definitely an issue here. Adam Boqvist has one particular thing he's always been good at, jumping into seems and sniping. That's it. He lacks defensive awareness, severely lacks strength, and isn't a plus playmaker. He's not even a puckmover, in the sense that he'd be the last player I'd want hustling back on a dump in under pressure. Until this past season he wasn't fast enough to do it. Weak, slow, not smart.

I understand taking him as a throw-in in the Jones deal but the contract we gave him was uncalled for. He's going to have a hard time getting an NHL contract now and this is despite being much better than when we signed him two years ago!

Yes Boqvist would need specific situations to succeed, but take note that NHL clubs are not providing that to marginal D in this mold. This is not a Blue Jackets usage issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad