Confirmed with Link: Boqvist waived for buyout purposes

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Depends on what Necas is thinking. He obviously knows he was shopped and literally had contract dealings with another team. Could have really soured him on the situation and he was already unhappy with not being a top center there was he not?
Maybe CAR cheers him up and sweetens their offer after seeing Guentzel walk

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm assuming the forced or weird moves we see are players that want out. It would not surprise me if many roster players want fresh starts. Boqvist and Texier wanting out both seem very plausible. There are multiple low-in-the-lineup players on every team that probably feel that way, Don just has a specific mandate of getting rid of them.
Unless we have a clear plan to replace certain positions it just feels weird. Texier especially feels weird and forced,I wasexcited to see some guys with good coaching. I know Don keeps saying he wants to add skme vets which is a great thing to say, I just hope hes able to follow through with whatever hes got up his sleeve.

And for the record I dont believe all low in the lineup players are created equally.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Unless we have a clear plan to replace certain positions it just feels weird. Texier especially feels weird and forced,I wasexcited to see some guys with good coaching. I know Don keeps saying he wants to add skme vets which is a great thing to say, I just hope hes able to follow through with whatever hes got up his sleeve.

And for the record I dont believe all low in the lineup players are created equally.
Every player we drafted yesterday are known as alpha type competitors .. Texier worked hard on the forecheck , he is far more talented than he played , and seemed content with his role . Malatesta is a cheap replacement and will put you thru the boards . Don is changing the identity here

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Every player we drafted yesterday are known as alpha type competitors .. Texier worked hard on the forecheck , he is far more talented than he played , and seemed content with his role . Malatesta is a cheap replacement and will put you thru the boards . Don is changing the identity here
Thats fine and dandy I just hope he has an immediate plan already in place. Our defensive depth is often tested so unless he already knows hes landing someone buying out the last year of a deal seems kind of pointless

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I hope he finds a landing spot where he can use his strengths. My main memory of him is from an in-person watch, he stood out in a bad way physically. He looks smaller in person than on screen, and does not make up for it with strength or speed. Looked a lot less capable than others on the ice physically.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Thats fine and dandy I just hope he has an immediate plan already in place. Our defensive depth is often tested so unless he already knows hes landing someone buying out the last year of a deal seems kind of pointless
Saw a tweet the other day that said something like 75% of UFAs already have a deal in place waiting for July 1. I wouldn't be surprised if we have one or two just waiting.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If the kid doesn't fit Waddell's vision of the team and he can be bought out for 1/3rd then why not?

I always thought that they should have given him more chance as PP1 QB.

I remember seeing him play early in his first season as a CBJ in a game in Detroit and he looked like the most offensively potent dman on the ice for either team. I think he's got a lot of talent, but at some point it has to be shown more consistently than he did here. He was soft defensively-I'd say an overall defensive liability.

And as with Texier, unless one is really "in the know" it's impossible to know if there were other factors involved or not.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I think ideally we would have had a coach in place prior to this move. If a coach would commit to playing Boqvist on PP, I think he still has value.
Maybe on the flank but we have enough players for that already. He isn't very good at the point. PKs can clear pucks past him all day. Anticipation and quickness lets him down with that.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
If the kid doesn't fit Waddell's vision of the team and he can be bought out for 1/3rd then why not?

I always thought that they should have given him more chance as PP1 QB.

I remember seeing him play early in his first season as a CBJ in a game in Detroit and he looked like the most offensively potent dman on the ice for either team. I think he's got a lot of talent, but at some point it has to be shown more consistently than he did here. He was soft defensively-I'd say an overall defensive liability.

And as with Texier, unless one is really "in the know" it's impossible to know if there were other factors involved or not.
As someone brought up earlier, maybe neither of these players wanted to be here anymore for whatever reason, so Don did what he had to do. We have a new regime in charge so things are going to be different.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm assuming the forced or weird moves we see are players that want out. It would not surprise me if many roster players want fresh starts. Boqvist and Texier wanting out both seem very plausible. There are multiple low-in-the-lineup players on every team that probably feel that way, Don just has a specific mandate of getting rid of them.
Possible but that seems like a way to explain away moves we don't like or don't otherwise understand.

I have said (and not that I'm right in this) that it's time to move from the asset acquisition phase to sorting through the pieces and pruning what doesn't fit so we can focus on building around what does. Maybe D-Wad decided that Tex and Boq needed pruned.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Possible but that seems like a way to explain away moves we don't like or don't otherwise understand.

I have said (and not that I'm right in this) that it's time to move from the asset acquisition phase to sorting through the pieces and pruning what doesn't fit so we can focus on building around what does. Maybe D-Wad decided that Tex and Boq needed pruned.
Edit:
In case my responses in the Tex thread didn't make it obvious, if this is indeed pruning, it's not where I would have started. But this is what we (I) wanted the new GM to do, and he's doing it.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Edit:
In case my responses in the Tex thread didn't make it obvious, if this is indeed pruning, it's not where I would have started. But this is what we (I) wanted the new GM to do, and he's doing it.
Good learning moment for Nash and anyone newer in management here. Jarmo collected a lot of pieces and fell in love with them, Waddell has a vision and is making moves early to head toward that vision. Time will tell if its a good move but atleast he knows what he wants. Cant be on the fence with what you want to be in this league. We used to have 1 of the strongest identities in the league and for a few years now this entire organization has been running around like a chicken with its head cut off

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Boqvist’s inability to stay healthy was frustrating as it stalled moments where there seemed to be progress so a 1/3 buyout maybe makes sense. I’m still surprised the Jackets couldn’t find a trade partner for him.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I'm surprised nobody wanted him for a pick or something. Could have a real resurgence somewhere where they give him PP1 and then Waddell looks like a tool.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe Tex and Boqvist were jerks. (I want @Viqsi to slap me with an Occam’s Razor link instead of a “Your logical fallacy is” link.)
But those links are so much fun! :(

And I want to force one in here regardless, but there's not enough of an argument presented for me to adequately dissect it. Harrumph!

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I liked Boqvist and would've given him one more year. He always showed flashes and some great passes from time to time. But at this point I'm just curious how Waddell plays this out and what our team looks like at the start of training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad