GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
On to tomorrow. Let's judge in totality after Day 2.

I will add that the Expected Range analysis that was posted had Parascak averages at 29 and in 20 - 50 for all sources:

Link

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

I'll drink the kool aid and say Parascak has Kyrou to Panarin type upside IF he puts in the work physically to gain more mass and explosiveness. The offensive skill and sense isn't in question. Honestly...he reminds me of Semin at times in those clips. It's the skating and strength that have to come and at 18 maybe not the worst assumption to bank on that happening. It's boom/bust in the sense that if he remains limited/weak physically what is he? A Sprong type soft minute one-way guy? But maybe it hits and hits big. Shrug.

Toffoli comps seem common but I think he's more dynamic and cerebral, particularly with the man advantage and whenever there's ample time. He won't be afforded the same time and space beyond the WHL but he does have shark-like soft area off-puck instincts so there's a plenty diversified offensive pedigree to work with.

Look for Ondrej Becher, that PG line's center, as a re-entry option tmrw. Maybe rounds 3-4.

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Overtime Losers

Washington Capitals
Pick No. 17: Terik Parascak
My ranking: No. 20

Parascak went where a player who posts 105 points in their draft year in the CHL usually does (in many cases, those guys go even higher). And yet, Parascak has some doubters around the league. He’s a slight, skinny kid who played on a line with two top players and didn’t create his offense through a dynamic trait. He’s an incredibly smart player, though, who has good speed — I was surprised when folks described his skating as average or below-average this year, because it looks like a strength to me and he tested well at the on-ice combine at the CHL TPG and the off-ice one in Buffalo — and he always seems to get to good spots to make things happen. I’m a fan and I didn’t mind the pick. Those I spoke with about the pick expected the Capitals to take a defenseman, given the lack of draft capital they’ve spent there over the last several years, but I wonder if Jiricek going to St. Louis changed the calculus.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I have no issues with the pick. Mahoney has a pretty good track record of finding value in the mid-late first rounders and Parascak was clearly one of the guys they were targeting. The Caps have good scouting in the WHL and another prospect on the same team, so they know exactly what they are getting. I want them to take the pick they are confident in and not make a pick just because a player is rated higher on someone else's prospect ranking. Additionally, you have no idea where he fell on other team's draft boards, so trying to take him later may not have been possible.

Outside of the top 10, all of these kids have some blemishes and developmental opportunities in their game, so I'm not too concerned about the strength and skating. Those can be improved with coaching and conditioning. What you can't teach is hockey IQ, and this kid seems to have it in spades. You can tell from his interview that he's intelligent, well spoken, and spends a lot of time thinking about how to improve his game. I also watched his highlights, and he makes a lot of plays in tight with quick passes and shots.

It's going to be a few years before we know if this pick will work out, but I'll certainly be rooting for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad