GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 12.47.27 AM.png

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Could be another target
Another midget. I want moar bigger.

Easy pass on Stamkos, makes absolutely no sense considering our core isn't ready to compete yet and the guy is already 34 and will ask for the moon. Next.
Actually I think the core IS ready and WANTS to compete. They got zero support from the rest of the team though.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Looks like it's going to be a slow ufa day for us hopefully we see a couple more trades through the summer going with the same lineup as last year is just a massive failure
Honestly I rather have a mistake free boring off-season, next year is when we are going to see what we are working with because there no use making move if one of Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron can’t carry the RD and Dach, Slaf, CC, Suzuki, Newhook, can’t be part of a contending top9…

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Is trouba a top 6 guy?
He's a bottom pair d man at this point in his career. He isn't leaving the US as his wife is a medical doctor there and is the major reason he wanted to go to New York as that is where she was attending Med school

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
What about Vincent Desharnais? His agent is Philippe Lecavalier
Habs won't be signing a UFA dman for a while, we have Matheson/Savard/Guhle/Harris/Barron/Xhekaj/Struble/Hutson going into next season (8 dmen). On top of that we have Reinbacher/Mailloux/Engstrom coming up.

Still way too many dmen in the system.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Prediction time

Stamkos: Nashville
Bertuzzi: Chicago
Marchessault: Boston
Teravainen: SJ
Lindholm: Utah
Toffoli: SJ
Perron: Dallas
Debrusk: Edmonton
Overrated bum: Toronto
Stamkos will go to Vegas.

Marchessault - Nashville

Teravainen to St. Louis
Debrusk to Carolina
Perron to Boston
Toffoli I agree
Monahan to Montreal.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
What's the point of putting ourselves back into bad contracts? We're almost finally free of bad contracts. In 4 years we should be finally competing.
The cap will be much higher in 4 years and we better be competing much sooner than 4 years from now. So what do you want to happen between today and July 1st 2028? Hopefully some high-octane hockey, some playoff runs, some f***ing fun. You need the dogs for it.

Stamkos is 34 and still PPG. I'd give him a front-loaded contract loaded with dummy years. Until age 40, 6 years 14-10-5-2.5-1.25-1.25 cap hit of less than 6m. He can retire within three years and his cap hit disappears. Win win win.

Reactions: Jaynki

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Although I am a big proponent of surrounding younger players with former stars and top talent, I am not sure I commit to Stamkos for more than 3 years.

He's turning 35 in February. It's playing with fire in that you might get stuck with a big salary on an older, unproductive player.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The habs should pick up a player who likes loose pucks and play him with Armia. Armia doesn’t work well as a pure D third liner, but he’s high event. He engages players on the other team who have the puck and pretty often ends up getting and losing the puck a few times. He doesn’t really avoid contact when he has the puck.

Defensive players worry more about where there man is when there are loose pucks. Playing Armia with someone who likes going after loose pucks might make him look more like the top line international player and less like the unappreciated hab he’s been the last while.

Domi might be an option. He’s not great at structure but he’s good at the individual plays.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Stamkos is 34 and still PPG. I'd give him a front-loaded contract loaded with dummy years. Until age 40, 6 years 14-10-5-2.5-1.25-1.25 cap hit of less than 6m. He can retire within three years and his cap hit disappears. Win win win.
In year 4 he decides he can still play and contribute with his 15 points on 4th line and you are stuck with 6M AAV cap hit. No thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad