News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That's great but what does that have to do with spending half the cap on 4 players, all forwards, being a good idea or not?
Because they can make trades and have some good, cheap supporting players coming up. And of course. Leafs do have very nice depth. Kadri is the 3rd line centre.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
When Tampa does what exactly? They have at least 2 star forwards, maybe 3 if you count Point, they have at least 2 star d-men and are talking about maybe getting Karlsson as a third. That's not at all the same as the Leafs spending half their cap on 4 stars who are all forwards.

It's not hate at all. If any other team wants to spend half the cap on 4 forwards I'll say the exact same thing.

Hedman - 8
Stamkos - 8.5
Kucherov - 9.5
Karlsson - 11
= 37

Matthews - 11
Tavares - 11
Marner - 8
Nylander - 7
= 37

Hmmm

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I like how the goal posts have now moved from you can't have 4 players taking up 40-45% of your cap to it's okay if they aren't all forwards
I noticed as well.
And Morgan Rielly being as good as he is at 5 million is fantastic. Same with Kadri at 4.5 million per at C(Would be a #1 C on some teams, he's #3 on the Leafs).
People have to adjust their opinions with Kucherov's deal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I call it the Leafs hate logic of HFBoards where everything they do is wrong no matter what, however when Tampa can sign Stamkos, Headman, McDonagh and Kucherov to long term deals and possibly still trade for Erik Karlsson, they are doing things correctly.

Tampa also has a rich middle class, including Stralman, Coburn, Callahan, Palat, Killorn, Johnson. And they haven't even locked in Vasilevskiy.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Tampa also has a rich middle class, including Stralman, Coburn, Callahan, Palat, Killorn, Johnson. And they haven't even locked in Vasilevskiy.
Yup. Callaghan is a killer deal for them. I called it the day it was signed. The classic "Intangibles" guy getting overpaid.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hedman - 8
Stamkos - 8.5
Kucherov - 9.5
Karlsson - 11
= 37

Matthews - 11
Tavares - 11
Marner - 8
Nylander - 7
= 37

Hmmm

Hmm what? Nobody seems to be giving even a cursory glance to the point I'm making before tripping all over themselves to defend the Leafs' salary structure and/or pat each other on the back for doing such a good job making wholly irrelevant points.

I've said many times now, the issue is spending all that cap on only forwards. The fact that Tampa would be spending nearly half their cap on 2 star forwards and 2 star d-men is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

They usually go away when you give stats.

Except those aren't "stats," they don't disprove or even address the point I'm making and I'm still here, yeah you're totally right.

I like how the goal posts have now moved from you can't have 4 players taking up 40-45% of your cap to it's okay if they aren't all forwards

What goals posts? My point from the start was that spending so much cap on a handful of players who all play either up front or on the back end might not be wise.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
you aren't understanding what he is saying. tampa has 37 million invested in 2 forwards and 2 defenders. toronto has 37 million invested in 4 forwards. not a good balance for the leafs
Thank you. I feel like I've been pretty clear about this but it's just somehow not getting through.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
you aren't understanding what he is saying. tampa has 37 million invested in 2 forwards and 2 defenders. toronto has 37 million invested in 4 forwards. not a good balance for the leafs

I understand exactly what he said. I just don't agree with his assessment as I don't think it matters what concentration of your stars are on F or D.

Doubling down on your strength isn't a bad thing in any way. There are many ways to build/coach a team that don't involve needing one of the best defensemen in the world, let alone 2 of them. We just need solid defenders with good mobility and first pass which we can absolutely still have even with 4 forwards taking up 46% of the cap

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Thank you. I feel like I've been pretty clear about this but it's just somehow not getting through.

Your point was heard and understood fine, at least by me. I just don't agree with you. (See post right above this one)

And granted, when I talked about moving goal posts that more of a general thing in all the discussions relating to this than something you specifically had said, so my apologies there.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Why are main board prentenders to be an expert think about anything else but check that our top line winger Zach freaking Dogman makes only 2.25 mil per for another 3 seasons.

We also have the likes of Bracco sitting on the bench in AHL. Just forget about the current roster we have so many wingers that will keep making floor salaries for at least another half a decade.

When you top it off with the likes of Gardiners and Marleau being replaced by these players it makes it even more sense to sit duck. We have so much depth at D that our bottom pair will be making no more than ELC value for guess again another half a decade. We also have Dermott and Liljegren to replace Gardiner and Hainsey.

We are not in a 100m sprint, we are in for a marathon and we have the most stamina to avoid the likes of Tampa for another 2-3 years while they will be declining we will only be getting started.

Just take a bucket and keep collecting that salt water, let me know how many buckets you filled when we start our rebuild again.

Reactions: joe dirte

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Were Leaf fans counting themselves out of the Tavares race this season? I would bet if you did a poll on how good Doughty was last season while Leaf fans still thought they had a chance to land him, there would be a good number of Leaf fans voting for him. Same thing with Tavares.
I would vote for Doughty because he's good. I wouldn't vote for a player in a poll solely because I thought we MIGHT have a chance to even talk to him in two years.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Why are main board prentenders to be an expert think about anything else but check that our top line winger Zach freaking Dogman makes only 2.25 mil per for another 3 seasons.

We also have the likes of Bracco sitting on the bench in AHL. Just forget about the current roster we have so many wingers that will keep making floor salaries for at least another half a decade.

When you top it off with the likes of Gardiners and Marleau being replaced by these players it makes it even more sense to sit duck. We have so much depth at D that our bottom pair will be making no more than ELC value for guess again another half a decade. We also have Dermott and Liljegren to replace Gardiner and Hainsey.

We are not in a 100m sprint, we are in for a marathon and we have the most stamina to avoid the likes of Tampa for another 2-3 years while they will be declining we will only be getting started.

Just take a bucket and keep collecting that salt water, let me know how many buckets you filled when we start our rebuild again.

Tears of laughter if you plan on *another* rebuild so soon.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
When Tampa does what exactly? They have at least 2 star forwards, maybe 3 if you count Point, they have at least 2 star d-men and are talking about maybe getting Karlsson as a third. That's not at all the same as the Leafs spending half their cap on 4 stars who are all forwards.

It's not hate at all. If any other team wants to spend half the cap on 4 forwards I'll say the exact same thing.

Stamkos, Steven "C" 8.5
Kucherov, Nikita 9.5
Point, Brayden 6-9???
Callahan, Ryan "A" 5.8
Palat, Ondrej 5.3
Miller, J.T.5.25
Johnson, Tyler 5
Killorn, Alex 4.45

really? They are spending 32 on 4 forwards lol your blind bud sorry... facts are facts and they are right above and below you.

Hedman, Victor7.875
McDonagh, Ryan6.75
Strålman, Anton 4.5
Coburn, Braydon3.7
Girardi, Dan 3
Sergachev, Mikhail 5-7???
Karlsson 10????

it works because it's Tampa right? 25 Mil on 3 D... IT'S FINNNNNE IT'S TAMPA lol

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Stamkos, Steven "C" 8.5
Kucherov, Nikita 9.5
Point, Brayden 6-9???
Callahan, Ryan "A" 5.8
Palat, Ondrej 5.3
Miller, J.T.5.25
Johnson, Tyler 5
Killorn, Alex 4.45

really? They are spending 32 on 4 forwards lol your blind bud sorry... facts are facts and they are right above and below you.

Hedman, Victor7.875
McDonagh, Ryan6.75
Strålman, Anton 4.5
Coburn, Braydon3.7
Girardi, Dan 3
Sergachev, Mikhail 5-7???
Karlsson 10????

it works because it's Tampa right? 25 Mil on 3 D... IT'S FINNNNNE IT'S TAMPA lol
What point is this mess supposed to be making?

TB will not have 4 forwards making half their cap. Toronto probably will once Matthews, Nylander and Marner get paid.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

So? Hyman is a 3rd line player that just happens to play on your top line. And Bracco is a dime a dozen prospect, he might not even make the NHL, let alone become an impact player. You can’t bank on all your prospect wingers making the NHL and becoming impact players because that’s not gonna happen.

Gardiner and Marleau will be replaced by those players, but likely those players will be worse than them. That’s the problem with paying so much for 4 forwards, is you’re banking on your prospect pool to replace all the players you lose to FA. While at the same time trading picks for players to make playoff pushes, making your prospect pool worse and worse.

ThewThew

Oct 14, 2017
...only in your eyes (and every advanced stat).
A lot of bruins fans were impressed by Rielly and marner after the series ended when the the play off threads were more civil than here.... you just got your hate goggles on.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A lot of bruins fans were impressed by Rielly and marner after the series ended when the the play off threads were more civil than here.... you just got your hate goggles on.

If anyone watched that series and didn't think the Leafs defense needed a major overhaul, then I don't know what to tell you.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Leafs = bottom 10 defense , fine by me keep it that way for the next decade :)

please sign all 4 to massive contracts :D so this can become a reality.

Its funny how LITERALLY every other fanbase sees the problem coming.

Leaf fans are like addict in denial lol

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Morgan Rielly is better than McD. People have to stop underrating him. 50+ point #1 D who plays some of the toughest minutes and thrives. And he's a Leaf for 5 million per and only 24.
I love how irrelevant this post is to the one you were responding to

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
They will be fine but they should still try and upgrade that defense. This team has/should have cup aspirations and I think you are hoping best case scenario for Zaitsev (big turn-around), Dermott & Liljegren (very quickly establishing themselves) in that layout.

Marleau coming off the books the year after will help with cap room for a D, but that's still another year later & Marleau is a good player to have in that cup quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad