News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So? Hyman is a 3rd line player that just happens to play on your top line. And Bracco is a dime a dozen prospect, he might not even make the NHL, let alone become an impact player. You can’t bank on all your prospect wingers making the NHL and becoming impact players because that’s not gonna happen.

Gardiner and Marleau will be replaced by those players, but likely those players will be worse than them. That’s the problem with paying so much for 4 forwards, is you’re banking on your prospect pool to replace all the players you lose to FA. While at the same time trading picks for players to make playoff pushes, making your prospect pool worse and worse.

I doubt a Dubas run Leafs will get into the playoff rental game by trading picks.

THe best teams in the league manage to have a constant pipeline for cheap prospects to fill out their roster. It’s what separates well run teams from poorly run ones, we just need to wait and see if the Leafs scouting and development system is up to the task, but so far things look bright considering the recent Marlies successes.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I doubt a Dubas run Leafs will get into the playoff rental game by trading picks.

THe best teams in the league manage to have a constant pipeline for cheap prospects to fill outnjeirnroster. It’s what separates well run teams from poorly run ones, we just need to wait and see if the Leafs scouting and development system is up to the task, but so far things look bright considering the recent Marlies successes.

The only way I see him doing it is if we have an injury to a key penalty killer or something along those lines where we need an experienced spare part to fill a hole, not upgrading on the 4th liner C just for the sake of doing it. Other than that, I could see a McDonagh situation where the deadline add has a year of control left and is likely to extend.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs = bottom 10 defense , fine by me keep it that way for the next decade :)

please sign all 4 to massive contracts :D so this can become a reality.

Its funny how LITERALLY every other fanbase sees the problem coming.

Leaf fans are like addict in denial lol
Leaf fans realize their D is much better than everyone thinks. 3rd best GA in the East, #1 after Jan 1st.
And let's save the bit about how you are all geniuses in Leaf predictions, shall we. The predictions of the Leafs have been BRUTAL on here. There are people working for the Leafs who are experts at the cap. I am supposed to believe all of you know more than them?
I know all of you are dreaming of an Auston Matthews offer sheet by Arizona, but it's just fantasy.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So? Hyman is a 3rd line player that just happens to play on your top line. And Bracco is a dime a dozen prospect, he might not even make the NHL, let alone become an impact player. You can’t bank on all your prospect wingers making the NHL and becoming impact players because that’s not gonna happen.

Gardiner and Marleau will be replaced by those players, but likely those players will be worse than them. That’s the problem with paying so much for 4 forwards, is you’re banking on your prospect pool to replace all the players you lose to FA. While at the same time trading picks for players to make playoff pushes, making your prospect pool worse and worse.
That's purely by coaches choice. Leafs have 3rd liners who would be first liners on the Habs

Reactions: Pi

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Matthews is going to get an identical contract to Tavares, that puts them at $22million. You figure Marner and Nylander will get about $7-8million each...and you've got almost $40million wrapped up in 4 forwards...not a good look. Dubas is playing down the expectations but when it comes time for him to make a move, he'll move one of Marner/Nylander for a defenseman or other assets.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Matthews is going to get an identical contract to Tavares, that puts them at $22million. You figure Marner and Nylander will get about $7-8million each...and you've got almost $40million wrapped up in 4 forwards...not a good look. Dubas is playing down the expectations but when it comes time for him to make a move, he'll move one of Marner/Nylander for a defenseman or other assets.

And how do you figure that?

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
If anyone watched that series and didn't think the Leafs defense needed a major overhaul, then I don't know what to tell you.

The Leafs started rebuilding about 3 years ago. Their D is right about where you'd expect for a rebuilding team.

One bankable top guy not yet in his prime, some interesting euro free agents that may or may not pan out, and some very promising drafted talent (Liljegren, Sandin, Dermott). Zaitsev may have been a bust, too early to say. Gardiner is probably gone (I pray).

If the draft class turns out well then we'll be just fine defensively in a couple years. Maybe we'll even get lucky with a nice surprise as many teams do. So, things are right on schedule.

I understand the confusion because our young forwards are so ridiculously ahead of schedule. Things are about right where they oughta be on the back end and our quality starting goalie probably has his best years ahead of him.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
So a player who was neither an RFA, nor a 61 point player in his contract year?

A UFA who just scored 81 points making 8+ makes sense, unfortunately Nylander and Marner are neither of those things.

Gaudreau got $6.75million a couple of years ago. I said around 7-8million...unless you don't count as 6.75 as being "around" 7?

I get it you want your team to keep both players at a reasonable price...it's just not going to happen in today's NHL.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Gaudreau got $6.75million a couple of years ago. I said around 7-8million...unless you don't count as 6.75 as being "around" 7?

I get it you want your team to keep both players at a reasonable price...it's just not going to happen in today's NHL.

6.5ish is very affordable for us, Pastrnak and Ehlers are the appropriate comparables here. If both sign around 6.75 on average, we're in great shape. Even Nylander at 6.5 and Marner at 7.5 would be very doable.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
6.5ish is very affordable for us, Pastrnak and Ehlers are the appropriate comparables here. If both sign around 6.75 on average, we're in great shape. Even Nylander at 6.5 and Marner at 7.5 would be very doable.

If the Leafs have $22million for Matthews/Tavares and then $14million for Marner/Nylander you're still at $36million for FOUR forwards. That's not a bad problem to have-but teams need more than just that to compete. That's $6.5million shy of of Washington and $7.5million shy of Tampa's offenses.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
If the Leafs have $22million for Matthews/Tavares and then $14million for Marner/Nylander you're still at $36million for FOUR forwards. That's not a bad problem to have-but teams need more than just that to compete. That's $6.5million shy of of Washington and $7.5million shy of Tampa's offenses.
TB's forward $$$ will be going up at the same time as Toronto's when Kucherov and Point get their new deals...

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Those players make between $6-6.7million...you don't consider that "around $7million"? There's also Gaudreau and Tarasenko.
If one signs for 6 million and the other for 6.7 million, it's getting to be a far cry from the "close to 40 million" you claimed.

Also, Auston's not getting $11m

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Those players make between $6-6.7million...you don't consider that "around $7million"? There's also Gaudreau and Tarasenko.
You said 7-8 million.. now that your number has been handily shit on you're pretending you said "around 7 million" as if we can't scroll up half a page. So, lets just restate everything appropriately. The market value for the players in question is 6-6.5 million. That's half a million to a million and half difference between reality and what you stated. Quite a bit of money to most, but I suppose you're currently flying a private jet to your tropical island.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ok lets say people are right and Nylander gets dealt for D..Ok?? So?? They still have two elite #1 C's and an elite winger at forward, and would just be upgrading the defense. So either way, they are a good team. So why the concern?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

You said 7-8 million.. now that your number has been handily **** on you're pretending you said "around 7 million" as if we can't scroll up half a page. So, lets just restate everything appropriately. The market value for the players in question is 6-6.5 million. That's half a million to a million and half difference between reality and what you stated. Quite a bit of money to most, but I suppose you're currently flying a private jet to your tropical island.

See above: I clearly said "Marner and Nylander will get about $7-8million each". So one of the following is true:

-You didn't read my post
-You lack reading comprehension
-You don't think that 6.75 is "about" 7
-You're making stuff up

I usually don't go after posters personally, I find it lame and quite frankly a way of saying "I've got nothing to add", but since you did it first by accusing me of pretending I felt it appropriate to do the same in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad