2024 University Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Not many schools interested because of the cost. Ottawa could be a dud for attendance, like TMU was.
Frankly, I believe that the three conference champions should play at the home of one champion on a rotating basis. This is similar to football. (If the RSEQ wants a berth then they need to start a league.)

It is clear that host berths and large fields aren't drawing crowds. All teams in the host conference would have to declare their capability to host by a deadline. If a conference champion is incapable of hosting then they forfeit hosting rights to another conference champion. I know that even in Manitoba with 1,500 seats and low attendance, there would be good crowds to watch the Bisons, and next to nobody to watch UBC play Brock.

Last edited:
Reactions: dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Frankly, I believe that the three conference champions should play at the home of one champion on a rotating basis. This is similar to football. (If the RSEQ wants a berth then they need to start a league.)

It is clear that host berths and large fields aren't drawing crowds. All teams in the host conference would have to declare their capability to host by a deadline. If a conference champion is incapable of hosting then they forfeit hosting rights to another conference champion. I know that even in Manitoba with 1,500 seats and low attendance, there would be good crowds to watch the Bisons, and next to nobody to watch UBC play Brock.
Not quite true. UNB, UdeM, UofA, SASK, all had good attendance. Lakehead and Halifax (SMU/SFX) also. CIS B-Ball in Halifax draws 6-8 K per game. Much like Real Estate - Location, Location, Location...

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Ottawa will be a dud for attendance, guaranteed. Much like TMU, both the Gee-Gees and Ravens only attract family and friends to their games.

I have long argued that USports would be much better off simply having consecutive Best-of-3 series between league champions (CWUAA, OUA West, OUA East, and AUS) with the host conference pre-determined on a rotation, as suggested above by Holly.

The OUA used to have a Queens Cup host but abandoned that because it was a money pit. Now one of the two Finalists hosts it and they get a great crowd. If you share the gate, that will pay off the travel costs.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Not quite true. UNB, UdeM, UofA, SASK, all had good attendance. Lakehead and Halifax (SMU/SFX) also. CIS B-Ball in Halifax draws 6-8 K per game. Much like Real Estate - Location, Location, Location...
Basketball is much different. They have 4 games per day at one venue. It seems that they get more "overflow" fans from other teams in the stands. It looks really bad when semi-final games have 200 fans. There aren't many places that could draw well. Are we going to give those few places perpetual host berths in the nationals?

Reactions: AUS Fan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Ottawa will be a dud for attendance, guaranteed. Much like TMU, both the Gee-Gees and Ravens only attract family and friends to their games.

Perhaps the only positive about the U Cup at TMU is that I did notice there were quite a few fans from Calgary and BC. This was due to the location. I expect Ottawa to be the same as pretty much all cities will have direct flights. However, outside of the first home game I expect attendance to be pretty dismal.

Basketball is much different. They have 4 games per day at one venue. It seems that they get more "overflow" fans from other teams in the stands. It looks really bad when semi-final games have 200 fans. There aren't many places that could draw well. Are we going to give those few places perpetual host berths in the nationals?

It isn't my money. So if a university wants to lose money on hosting that is up to them.
I just like being at a tournament that has a great atmosphere.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Campy

Jan 27, 2019

I have long argued that USports would be much better off simply having consecutive Best-of-3 series between league champions (CWUAA, OUA West, OUA East, and AUS) with the host conference pre-determined on a rotation, as suggested above by Holly.

The OUA used to have a Queens Cup host but abandoned that because it was a money pit. Now one of the two Finalists hosts it and they get a great crowd. If you share the gate, that will pay off the travel costs.
Agree, it's not going to be pretty
Ottawa also is hosting the World Junior 2 1/2 months before U-Cup.

Reactions: Drummer and Rob

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Agree, it's not going to be pretty
Ottawa also is hosting the World Junior 2 1/2 months before U-Cup.
Making this even worse is the fact the rink seats almost 9000 people with the upper bowl open. 900 people in that rink is going to be rough… Hell even in Halifax for the non AUS games that rink was way to big….

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Making this even worse is the fact the rink seats almost 9000 people with the upper bowl open. 900 people in that rink is going to be rough… Hell even in Halifax for the non AUS games that rink was way to big….

I would have to think they will close the upper deck?

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022

Ottawa and Carleton once co-hosted the USports Final 8 and it was also played in front of an empty arena, despite being in the midst of Carleton's Hoops dynasty.

USports is just completely irrelevant in Ottawa.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Ottawa and Carleton once co-hosted the USports Final 8 and it was also played in front of an empty arena, despite being in the midst of Carleton's Hoops dynasty.

USports is just completely irrelevant in Ottawa.
That is correct. Halifax hosted for 1987 to 2007 and the event was successful. Halifax may be a lot of negative things, but it is a great "event" city.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Alberta, sask, unb always get good crowds. Easily over 10K for matchups with those teams. 5-6K for the other match ups historically from 13/14 and early 2000's

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad