News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I didn't, it's just a bunch of weak logic to reach your conclusion. Hell, including Eichel as "see, he had 2 60 points seasons too!" is such a dishonest argument when his 2nd ~60 point season was 57 points in 61 games. How's that in any way comparable?
It is more so for Matthews, who should command at least 10m/yr or the same as Tavares. You guys would be lucky if Nylander and Marner both signed for 7m/yr each. If you think 300k above what Pastrnak makes is ridiculous, then well...

And again, I am paying attention simply for the fact that we have our own RFA to think about and contracts for any good young talent, factors in for a lot of these RFA's. Jake is a playoff beast, that could make his contract alone, intriguing. Now WE think he can get close to what Pastrnak is making, Nylander and Marner produce better regular season wise, no way those two don't make more.

But again, I'll probably get angry messages that are incoherent and just some blaming or accusations of not understanding, etc etc.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It is more so for Matthews, who should command at least 10m/yr or the same as Tavares. You guys would be lucky if Nylander and Marner both signed for 7m/yr each. If you think 300k above what Pastrnak makes is ridiculous, then well...

And again, I am paying attention simply for the fact that we have our own RFA to think about and contracts for any good young talent, factors in for a lot of these RFA's. Jake is a playoff beast, that could make his contract alone, intriguing. Now WE think he can get close to what Pastrnak is making, Nylander and Marner produce better regular season wise, no way those two don't make more.

But again, I'll probably get angry messages that are incoherent and just some blaming or accusations of not understanding, etc etc.

So your basis is we have Tavares and Matthew's who are better then Eichel along Nylander and Marner who are equal to eichel? Shit that's a hell of a problem to have!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MR4

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Tampa Bay is able to re-sign Stamkos, Headman, McDonagh and now Kucherov, can we stop with this idea that Dubas won't able to re-sign Matthews, Marner and Nylander despite signing Tavares.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
There should be a thread discussing tampas cap troubles and impending destruction.

Why is it only a concern for Toronto?

Too many good players is a bad thing for Toronto but a good thing for Tampa... I wonder why?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There should be a thread discussing tampas cap troubles and impending destruction.

Why is it only a concern for Toronto?

Too many good players is a bad thing for Toronto but a good thing for Tampa... I wonder why?
I call it the Leafs hate logic of HFBoards where everything they do is wrong no matter what, however when Tampa can sign Stamkos, Headman, McDonagh and Kucherov to long term deals and possibly still trade for Erik Karlsson, they are doing things correctly.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Well they’re definitely gonna be losing some good players who they can’t afford to pay, just like the Leafs

Yeah but everyone has already stated over and over how all the young Leaf players will get offer sheets. I am quite depressed.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
BTW, is Tampa screwed now with their cap?

Not even close. Literally all we have to do is trade Johnson, Miller and let our UFA's walk and that's like another $20 million on top of the $13 million we have rolling over to next year AND what will likely be an increasing cap.

Late edit: we can probably trade Callahan instead of Johnson

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
People can start by reading the thread title. That answers all the questions you may have. You may not understand how, but then again your assistants did not help draft the CBA and are not experts in the cap.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well, 61 people disagree with you. And you can't claim it's biased with Leafs fans dumping votes onto him.

At the end of the day, does it really matter? Do you really care that much?

I dont think hes 4th in the league, and by the time that poll was done I definitely think there was enough talk about Tavares going to Toronto that plenty of Leaf fans would have voted for him anyways. But hes a franchise center and its really splitting hairs imo, so what if hes 7th or even 8th instead of 4th? He has the talent to have abetter season than a few guys that would be ranked ahead of him for sure.

As for the topic at hand. The Leafs really do need to build a defense, some might not agree but I think its clear to most that that D isnt going to take them over the top. Next year it might be good enough to manage because the depth the team has, but in years to come when depth is sacrificed to hold on to the big 4, those D wont likely be good enough. Next season you can trot guys like Kapanen or Kadri or this year Johnsson on the 3rd or 4th line. But that depth is what gets sacriiced when young guys like AM, Marner and Nylander get paid. Lots of leaf fans love Nylander but count me in the boat that thinks moving him in a package for an elite defender (he has the talent to actual get a deal for one done) would help the Leafs the most long term. I hope it doesnt happpen because I'm a rival team fan but I think that would be whats best for them

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Get down off your cross, there's nothing hateful in that post.

Someone thinking that spending about half the cap on 4 forwards isn't the best idea isn't some vicious attack on your precious team, it's a pretty understandable and valid opinion.

Yet when Tampa does it or wants another star player, it's doable and easy... It's hate and if you don't see it then your blind to that fact... Sorry not sorry.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yet when Tampa does it or wants another star player, it's doable and easy... It's hate and if you don't see it then your blind to that fact... Sorry not sorry.
When Tampa does what exactly? They have at least 2 star forwards, maybe 3 if you count Point, they have at least 2 star d-men and are talking about maybe getting Karlsson as a third. That's not at all the same as the Leafs spending half their cap on 4 stars who are all forwards.

It's not hate at all. If any other team wants to spend half the cap on 4 forwards I'll say the exact same thing.

Reactions: sharks9

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
When Tampa does what exactly? They have at least 2 star forwards, maybe 3 if you count Point, they have at least 2 star d-men and are talking about maybe getting Karlsson as a third. That's not at all the same as the Leafs spending half their cap on 4 stars who are all forwards.

It's not hate at all. If any other team wants to spend half the cap on 4 forwards I'll say the exact same thing.

Morgan Rielly is better than McD. People have to stop underrating him. 50+ point #1 D who plays some of the toughest minutes and thrives. And he's a Leaf for 5 million per and only 24.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Morgan Rielly is better than McD. People have to stop underrating him. 50+ point #1 D who plays some of the toughest minutes and thrives. And he's a Leaf for 5 million per and only 24.
That's great but what does that have to do with spending half the cap on 4 players, all forwards, being a good idea or not?

Reactions: sharks9

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I dont think hes 4th in the league, and by the time that poll was done I definitely think there was enough talk about Tavares going to Toronto that plenty of Leaf fans would have voted for him anyways. But hes a franchise center and its really splitting hairs imo, so what if hes 7th or even 8th instead of 4th? He has the talent to have abetter season than a few guys that would be ranked ahead of him for sure.

As for the topic at hand. The Leafs really do need to build a defense, some might not agree but I think its clear to most that that D isnt going to take them over the top. Next year it might be good enough to manage because the depth the team has, but in years to come when depth is sacrificed to hold on to the big 4, those D wont likely be good enough. Next season you can trot guys like Kapanen or Kadri or this year Johnsson on the 3rd or 4th line. But that depth is what gets sacriiced when young guys like AM, Marner and Nylander get paid. Lots of leaf fans love Nylander but count me in the boat that thinks moving him in a package for an elite defender (he has the talent to actual get a deal for one done) would help the Leafs the most long term. I hope it doesnt happpen because I'm a rival team fan but I think that would be whats best for them
Give me a break. People were counting the Leafs out as late as the week before Canada Day.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Give me a break. People were counting the Leafs out as late as the week before Canada Day.

Were Leaf fans counting themselves out of the Tavares race this season? I would bet if you did a poll on how good Doughty was last season while Leaf fans still thought they had a chance to land him, there would be a good number of Leaf fans voting for him. Same thing with Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad