News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
it seems like you're the one banking on RFA years magically being valued more than UFA years in this particular instance for no reason
If you are going to come at me with some defensive response, then keep it to yourself. The contracts to Nylander and Marner also has a bearing on other contracts around the league, you know, kind of like how Kane signing made JVR sign for the same amount, shit like that, things you might not understand.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Right...because he would say, yes, we will trade one of the 4.

Another useless Leafs’ threads. Death, taxes, and worthless Leafs’ threads.
'look at these useless Leafs threads, I hate them... but let me waste my time going into a thread I could've ignored because I want attention and show everyone how useless these threads are.. gottem'.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yea usually always. You should learn more about basic things in hockey like UFAs vs. RFAs before trying to make a point.
You should know that it's not always that case with RFA's and signing for less, the UFA stuff is obviously different, but when you are potentially buying into a players UFA years with their next contract and forgoing the entire bridge contract that your ex GM Burke whined about not existing anymore and being correct about, then yeah it's not the same anymore.

That's like us Pens fans assuming Jake Guentzel is going to sign some friendly 4m/yr contract just because he's an RFA and has no leg to stand on.

Last edited by a moderator:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Your reminder that the Leafs have more capspace available than all but 5 teams in the league.

And then, when you consider that Horton's contract shouldn't count, the Leafs have more capspace than all but 3 teams in the league.
That Horton contract definitely counts in one area: bonus carryover. With young guys hammering their bonuses, it means TO has to say well under cap.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You should know that it's not always that case with RFA's and signing for less, the UFA stuff is obviously different, but when you are potentially buying into a players UFA years with their next contract and forgoing the entire bridge contract that your ex GM Burke whined about not existing anymore and being correct about, then yeah it's not the same anymore.

That's like us Pens fans assuming Jake Guentzel is going to sign some friendly 4m/yr contract just because he's an RFA and has no leg to stand on.
you didn't start off by politely asking questions. You decided to inform us that Nylander and Marner were definitely getting more than Kane and JVR

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
you didn't start off by politely asking questions. You decided to inform us that Nylander and Marner were definitely getting more than Kane and JVR
No, I said if Kane & JVR are getting 7m/yr, then there's no way Marner and Nylander (both of whom are better) are getting anything less.

You some how misconstrued that as "OMG A LEAFS HATER, ATTACK ATTACK, WE MUST DEFEND ALL RESPONSES, POSITIVE NEGATIVE OR INQUIRIES!"

Reactions: Haatley

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The funny thing is, when JVR was the same age as Marner and Nylander he signed an incredibly team-friendly deal for 6 years at 4.5 million each. So JVR is a great example of RFA vs. UFA.
I would expect Nylander to get a Pasta type deal he got in Boston, and Marner is the scary one. He scored at a 100 point pace the second he was put on a real line.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No, I said if Kane & JVR are getting 7m/yr, then there's no way Marner and Nylander (both of whom are better) are getting anything less.

You some how misconstrued that as "OMG A LEAFS HATER, ATTACK ATTACK, WE MUST DEFEND ALL RESPONSES, POSITIVE NEGATIVE OR INQUIRIES!"
no, you said "it'll be more"
also, people are pointing out that you are wrong about your valuation of RFAs vs UFAs. Rather than admit to being wrong you want to double down and blame Leafs fans

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
also, people are pointing out that you are wrong about your valuation of RFAs vs UFAs. Rather than admit to being wrong you want to double down and blame Leafs fans
a11sS0I.gif

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Did I say that? I asked you a question. Leafs fans usually say the polls are irrelevant

Generalize much? I'm sure some people think polls are meaningless while some people don't. It's got nothing to do with Leaf fans. People have all sorts of opinions. That's one of the main reason we do polls....to find out what the popular opinion is. And the popular opinion is Tavares is much better than you think he is.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Auston Marlander

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
If Kane and JVR are getting 7m/yr, there's no way Nylander and Marner are getting less than 7m/yr, it'll be more.
UFA vs RFA it's not the same thing.
Pastrnak (6 years at $6,666,666) is a good comparable for both Marner and Nylander.
Nylander at 8 years should be between $7.5 - $8.0 million and Marner should be $8.0 - $8.5 million.
Matthews should be 8 years at $11.0 million.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
UFA vs RFA it's not the same thing.
Pastrnak (6 years at $6,666,666) is a good comparable for both Marner and Nylander.
Nylander at 8 years should be between $7.5 - $8.0 million and Marner should be $8.0 - $8.5 million.
Matthews should be 8 years at $11.0 million.
No it's not.

1. Pastrnak signed that deal when he hit 70pts.
2. Pastrnak's camp and Bruins side, he hit 70pts after being close to a .5ppg or whatever up until that point, Boston hedged their bets, thinking he is going to be a steal, Pastrnak's camp took it because at that time, it was a lot for a player that hadn't proven enough yet.
3. He's now followed it up with 80pts, his agent is probably slapping himself because of the commission he missed out on.
4. Nylander & Marner have put up 60pts in their 1st two seasons (Nylander's 22 or whatever games don't count), so far, he's been far more productive in his first two years than Pastrnak has and both have a stronger case at closer to what Eichel makes, which is, again, more than 7m/yr. Both at around 8m/yr is likely the case. Also, look at Draisaitl.

I think Nylander & Marner have a closer case to what Eichel did or even Draisaitl (the more likely # they end up with unless both have idiotic agents). You know, RFA that signed for 10m/yr, oh wait, was he UFA? No, no...he wasn't UFA.

Stat comparables, Eichel put up close to 60pts in his first 2 seasons. Before his last season, they signed him to that 80m contract, he followed it up by going almost a ppg.

So you have your case for an argument, I have mine. A relevant one.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
They won all the series in the past two years during the regular season and their core is like ten years younger than the Bruins.

The Bruins whole year hangs on a soon to be 33 year old Patrice Bergeron (Happy Birthday Patrice on July 24).
Sorry to burst your bubble but the Bruins won only one cup during Bergeron's run, they could have won another but they choked against Chicago, and now it's ending.
Don't worry I'm sure that Leafs fans will be just as obnoxious as Bruins fans have been during their window that is just starting to open.
The Leafs are another year better and the Bruins are another year older.
Move over to the slow lane grandpa you're holding up traffic.

Not only is this post extremely arrogant, but it’s also probably not very true. The Bruins have improved so much under Bruce Cassidy. There’s no reason, at this point, to believe their window is shutting.

They have some very good, young pieces. McAvoy is a better defenseman than anything the Leafs have in their system.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
No it's not.

1. Pastrnak signed that deal when he hit 70pts.
2. Pastrnak's camp and Bruins side, he hit 70pts after being close to a .5ppg or whatever up until that point, Boston hedged their bets, thinking he is going to be a steal, Pastrnak's camp took it because at that time, it was a lot for a player that hadn't proven enough yet.
3. He's now followed it up with 80pts, his agent is probably slapping himself because of the commission he missed out on.
4. Nylander & Marner have put up 60pts in their 1st two seasons (Nylander's 22 or whatever games don't count), so far, he's been far more productive in his first two years than Pastrnak has and both have a stronger case at closer to what Eichel makes, which is, again, more than 7m/yr. Both at around 8m/yr is likely the case. Also, look at Draisaitl.

I think Nylander & Marner have a closer case to what Eichel did or even Draisaitl (the more likely # they end up with unless both have idiotic agents). You know, RFA that signed for 10m/yr, oh wait, was he UFA? No, no...he wasn't UFA.

Stat comparables, Eichel put up close to 60pts in his first 2 seasons. Before his last season, they signed him to that 80m contract, he followed it up by going almost a ppg.

So you have your case for an argument, I have mine. A relevant one.
Your argument is: Pastrnak is irrelevant here for signing 6.67 after a 70 point (on pace for 77) season, but Draisaitl is the real comparable for signing 8.5 after a 77 point season. Why do I even come to the main boards
As usual that's how HF goes
Dead last in corsi in the series
Lol put up McAvoy against your top line all series and see how he does. I do hope you don't think McAvoy > Rielly

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Your argument is: Pastrnak is irrelevant here for signing 6.67 after a 70 point (on pace for 77) season, but Draisaitl is the real comparable for signing 8.5 after a 77 point season. Why do I even come to the main boards

As usual that's how HF goes

Lol put up McAvoy against your top line all series and see how he does. I do hope you don't think McAvoy > Rielly
Thanks for completely not understanding my post.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for completely not understanding my post.
I didn't, it's just a bunch of weak logic to reach your conclusion. Hell, including Eichel as "see, he had 2 60 points seasons too!" is such a dishonest argument when his 2nd ~60 point season was 57 points in 61 games. How's that in any way comparable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad