News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You missed the key phrase of the text you quoted: THE MARLIES ICED A YOUNG TEAM.

Nobody cares about your Grand Rapids team with a bunch of old guys doing most of the work.

Nosek, Frk, Bertuzzi, Svechnikov, Russo and Hicketts were the heavy lifters that year. They were all 23 and under.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Nosek, Frk, Bertuzzi, Svechnikov, Russo and Hicketts were the heavy lifters that year. They were all 23 and under.

Looking at the Griffins playoff roster last year, 5 of their top 10 scorers were older than 25. On the Marlies, 7 of our top 10 scorers were younger than 24.

3 of your young top scorers from their Calder Cup run also played in the NHL last year. Nosek (with VGK, not my fault your team let him go), Bertuzzi, and Frk all played in the big show, so let’s not act like nobody from the Griffins Calder Cup win made the jump last year.

Not to mention it’s a bit early to start declaring how many NHL’ers you got from that run wouldn’t you say? Also, your track record on Leafs young players and prospects isn’t the best on here so I don’t think you’re in any position to tell Leafs fans what they should expect from their young players.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
One of those threads that probably belongs on the leafs board no? As a general hockey fan I don’t care. Sure it’s possible, but since when is it totally up to Kyle dubas? Or have all of you not even entertained the possibility that your players may pull a Tavares and bolt home?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I find the Toronto media soft on it's players and teams. Players are not abused publicly. Kessel was traded because he had morphed into just an average player....sometimes good, sometimes poor. His cap hit of 8m was too much so he was traded for 6.8m of cap space. The fact that Kessel regained his excellent form in Pittsburg....good for Phil and the Pens. Point is it wasn't going to happen with the Leafs for whatever reasons,.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Dubas is a pretty smart guy, just before the Tavares signing he goes out and hires Lawrence Gillman. Leaf fans will learn to love this guy in the way he can straddle the cap and help with hometown discounts on players. He was our cap wizard on the Canucks during the best run in history. Very smart move by Dubas and Shanny.
the fact that Toronto HAS to have ELCs constantly coming in on top of guys taking discounts shows why their cap situation wont work in a few years time.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Looking at the Griffins playoff roster last year, 5 of their top 10 scorers were older than 25. On the Marlies, 7 of our top 10 scorers were younger than 24.

3 of your young top scorers from their Calder Cup run also played in the NHL last year. Nosek (with VGK, not my fault your team let him go), Bertuzzi, and Frk all played in the big show, so let’s not act like nobody from the Griffins Calder Cup win made the jump last year.

Not to mention it’s a bit early to start declaring how many NHL’ers you got from that run wouldn’t you say? Also, your track record on Leafs young players and prospects isn’t the best on here so I don’t think you’re in any position to tell Leafs fans what they should expect from their young players.

Agree with you. One advantage Leafs have is many of the Marlies games are televised. Plus having the Marlies playing in Toronto makes it easy for many people to see the games live. Many other hockey fans never even see an AHL. Their knowledge of "their" prospects is limited to what they read. It's subjective to the fans on who on the AHL might be NHLers one day. At least if you want to follow the Marlies, you have a greater opportunities to watch the games.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

On Friedman's last 31 thoughts podcast, Dubas said that the Marlies had the most entry-level players in the entire AHL. There might not be many/any blue chippers there, but there is plenty of depth.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Your reminder that the Leafs have more capspace available than all but 5 teams in the league.

And then, when you consider that Horton's contract shouldn't count, the Leafs have more capspace than all but 3 teams in the league.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Your reminder that the Leafs have more capspace available than all but 5 teams in the league.

And then, when you consider that Horton's contract shouldn't count, the Leafs have more capspace than all but 3 teams in the league.
the issue isn't this upcoming season. its the season(s) after this one

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Will it make people sad when the Leafs young stars don't bolt to other teams?

I don't see Matthews leaving a contending Leafs for a bottom-dwelling Coyotes team, otherwise we would have seen the same thing with Stamkos.
Marner, well I hope he does decide to play out the rest of his career at home.
Kadri, see Matthews but refer to Montreal.
Nylander. Does he go back to Sweden?? Stay tuned.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

You're right, Frk and Nosek are such important depth pieces...

Which Leaf prospects do I have a bad track record with, exactly? I've also never even stated any were busts, just that saying they were Calder cup champs really means little.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I find the Toronto media soft on it's players and teams. Players are not abused publicly. Kessel was traded because he had morphed into just an average player....sometimes good, sometimes poor. His cap hit of 8m was too much so he was traded for 6.8m of cap space. The fact that Kessel regained his excellent form in Pittsburg....good for Phil and the Pens. Point is it wasn't going to happen with the Leafs for whatever reasons,.
Toronto media has improved (at least towards the Leafs) since Shanny took over, but it used to be brutal.

sun.JPG

590b41b9810878b06973839196c778ba

Then of course all the shit with Kessel during in-person interviews. Simmons is a total moron but it works as an example.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
For 9 years, Leafs fans have been telling me the Bruins were failing and they were going to surpass them. The Bruins have finished ahead of Toronto for 9 straight years and broke their hearts twice. Now the same people are saying the same things, but I've been right for 9 years, they've been wrong. Best of luck next year.
And now as the saying goes, the worm has turned.
The Bruins rely too much on one line and a 41 year old d-man who is getting slower and slower and have some bad contracts weighing them down (Krejci, Backes).
Ask anyone who is not a fan of either team which they think will be the better roster for the next 3-4 years and you won't like the answer.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
And now as the saying goes, the worm has turned.
The Bruins rely too much on one line and a 41 year old d-man who is getting slower and slower and have some bad contracts weighing them down (Krejci, Backes).
Ask anyone who is not a fan of either team which they think will be the better roster for the next 3-4 years and you won't like the answer.

Meh, I heard the same thing a decade ago and every year since. Talk to me when 'the Big 3' don't get single-handedly outscored by Jake Debrusk in a playoff series.

Also, it's not like there was a worm to turn. The Bruins have pretty much dominated the Leafs for 50 years. Just that the last 11 have been especially embarrassing for Leaf fans.

The Leafs have one single division title since the creation of divisions.

Reactions: dukeofjive

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
. Window shwindown. Caps window was supposed to be the last two years. See what happened. Just have to make the playoffs after that anything can happen
Same was said of Pittsburgh too.

I'd rather have the assets and have to pay them than not.

Even if they are forced to trade someone, which i doubt they are, like nylander for example, it would be a beauty haul of prospects and picks back. Nice way to keep a steady influx of good young players don't you think?

I wasn't a fan of the third year for Marleau. But they can easily deal him. Not really for a return, but they can dump him for peanuts. Past next year I see no issues.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I hope they sign all 4 to huge contracts.

Theyll never be able to afford a quality D.

This could honestly screw the leafs over for a decade ......

Smart move would be go trade 1 of them for a "real" #1 D

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Meh, I heard the same thing a decade ago and every year since. Talk to me when 'the Big 3' don't get single-handedly outscored by Jake Debrusk in a playoff series.

Also, it's not like there was a worm to turn. The Bruins have pretty much dominated the Leafs for 50 years. Just that the last 11 have been especially embarrassing for Leaf fans.

The Leafs have one single division title since the creation of divisions.

The Leafs past is a joke. No one can deny it. But I am trying to understand connecting it to the team in 2018.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Rielly at 5 million is a steal for the next 5 years. Dermott is a great young D and very affordable. Let's see how Gardiner plays and Zaitsev.
They may well trade a big forward for help on D. Let's see.
Let's be clear though, they were 3rd in GA last season in the East. First in the East in Ga after Jan 1st...So you may believe their D is terrible and can never get them anywhere, the Numbers are not quite showing that.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It's not impossible to keep them but it's bad cap allocation unless every one of them takes a really sweet deal.

If they take even average or fair deals, they're going to take up about half of the Leafs cap. Half your cap on 4 players, all forwards, isn't wise imo.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The reason teams get these young RFA players at what seem like such high initial cap hits relative to the player is because they go 8 years. They overpay in the short term in hopes of getting a good deal in the mid/long term. If the Leafs go 5-6 years with Marner and Nylander, they can shave significant money off of their AAVs.

Pastrnak for example signed for 6.66M coming off of a 34 goal 70 point season. That was 8.89 percent of the salary cap at the time. So that's roughly a 7.1M cap hit right now. There's probably other examples as well. I could see Toronto getting Nylander at 6.5M-7M at 5-6 years.

Next year, Toronto could then sign Marner to a 6 year deal in the 7.5M+ range. Six years would be important, because it would mean that when the deal is up, the contract of Tavares would be expiring. That would increase Toronto's ability to keep Marner as a UFA while allowing them to benefit from a lower AAV by not buying up two extra UFA years on his initial extension.

I'm assuming it is a given that Matthews will probably get 10M-11M x 8 years.

It's an interesting balancing act cap wise, but I think people over rate the trouble they might be in. I don't think the issue is an inability to keep all four big forwards, they clearly can keep them, the issue is would they be better off flipping one of those four as a trade asset (and to open up cap) to bring in a stabilizing presence on their back end. Do they want to be top heavy up front, or more balanced?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The Leafs past is a joke. No one can deny it. But I am trying to understand connecting it to the team in 2018.

I'm connecting it to all the keyboard warriors here who have no credibility when it comes to evaluating the future (or the recent past). Tell us again how good Rielly was in the playoffs...

Reactions: haveandare

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site

All I heard was waaaaaeiiiii cries and tears lol..

Tell us how you really feel.

So much hate

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All I heard was waaaaaeiiiii cries and tears lol..

Tell us how you really feel.

So much hate
Get down off your cross, there's nothing hateful in that post.

Someone thinking that spending about half the cap on 4 forwards isn't the best idea isn't some vicious attack on your precious team, it's a pretty understandable and valid opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad