LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Certainly possible, but unlikely…an offensive dynamo to run the PP is exactly what that Habs team needs. Could be Hutson, Mailloux, maybe even Barron, but they almost certainly have the answer within the organization, look for them to draft more forwards this year.

Same. Although it’s important to acknowledge that it’s only possible because of how much the game has changed in the last couple decades. These guys didn’t really have a place at this level in the past, certainly seems like they’re the future though!
As a father of three potential fans right in the wheelhouse of what the NHL wants to cultivate, I can tell you that they and their friends have no interest in watching a slow game of clutch and grab and guys getting held and interfered with away from the puck and cross checked in the back against the boards or the pushing and shoving after the whistle. They will watch a fight but in today's world with MMA it's less interesting than it probably was in 1985. What they really want to watch are the fast high skilled plays. They are interested anytime McDavid, Hughes, and/or Zegras do something. That's the future of hockey if the NHL has any brains. The reality is the old school guys who rail against "soft" hockey will watch anyway. Speed up the game and it will sell better, especially to casual sports fans that the NHL needs to add. Hutson fits right in with that sort of future.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
How is it that Lane Hutson's plus/minus compared to his teammates is significantly higher? In 37 games he has amassed an impressive +28. His closest teammate is +19. Clearly Lane Hutson drives the offense for BU. But he isn't getting exposed defensively at all. He controls play when he's on the ice. Would like to see a corsi for/against stat for Lane Hutson. Not sure where to find it.

Reactions: loadie and viceroy

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
That is smart. Good to see the Habs fans aren’t to eager to pull guys unless they are NHL ready. This is a lot like Caufield after his freshman year, and that worked out perfectly.
His brain could play the game in the NHL and he has more than enough skills to but his body is not ready if that makes sense.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
His brain could play the game in the NHL and he has more than enough skills to but his body is not ready if that makes sense.
100% agree. He has some growth and strength development before he can be considered NHL ready. Listed at 5'10 on BU's site and 155lbs. That's very wiry. Might be generous on the 5'10. Could have another growth spurth.

He needs time to develop physically and to develop his straight-line speed and strength for handling downlow play in his own zone. Another NCAA season is a certainty for Lane Hutson.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
As a father of three potential fans right in the wheelhouse of what the NHL wants to cultivate, I can tell you that they and their friends have no interest in watching a slow game of clutch and grab and guys getting held and interfered with away from the puck and cross checked in the back against the boards or the pushing and shoving after the whistle. They will watch a fight but in today's world with MMA it's less interesting than it probably was in 1985. What they really want to watch are the fast high skilled plays. They are interested anytime McDavid, Hughes, and/or Zegras do something. That's the future of hockey if the NHL has any brains. The reality is the old school guys who rail against "soft" hockey will watch anyway. Speed up the game and it will sell better, especially to casual sports fans that the NHL needs to add. Hutson fits right in with that sort of future.
You hit the nail on the head, and it’s happening in real time, QMJHL set to ban fighting is a perfect example. Better or worse could certainly be debated, it’s all about what the individual finds entertaining, but there’s zero doubt that the game is changing drastically. Hockey in 2035 won’t be viewed as the same sport as hockey in 1985.

Reactions: My3Sons

JT3

May 27, 2013
I had him at 9th overall in my draft ranking last season and stated on numerous occasions that he was the most talented player in last years draft. You’re not going to find someone that is more bullish on him than me.

With that said, I know how Habs fans like to blindly hype their prospects and was just offering some advice because of how out of control his “hype train” could become.

Most expected him to have a great college career, his transition to the NHL has been in question. He is going to need an NHL coach to give him the green light like he has gotten in both the NCAA and NTDP. That’s going to be a difficult ask. He is going to have faster, smarter, bigger and stronger NHL players that are able read his deception and close off on him better.
So is this just a thinly veiled troll at Habs fans because we 'blindly hype our prospects'? How is a historic NCAA season blind hype?

Any Habs fan with a lick of sense understands his limitations and that despite what he's doing there is still the possibility that he doesn't work out. But he is found money at the end of the second round and is a wizard on the ice. We're allowed to be excited about it, but thanks for your concern.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
5,10 and 165 pounds now, he needs to put on more muscle up to 185 pounds at least..

He will need a protector to play with him ,, Reinbacher ??

Tbh it could be Guhle. He looked good in the right as a rookie. If he can become equally proficient on both side of the ice it would be massive for the Hans.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tbh it could be Guhle. He looked good in the right as a rookie. If he can become equally proficient on both side of the ice it would be massive for the Hans.
It would have to be Jackeye who can play the right side. But there is no obvious option.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
So is this just a thinly veiled troll at Habs fans because we 'blindly hype our prospects'? How is a historic NCAA season blind hype?

Any Habs fan with a lick of sense understands his limitations and that despite what he's doing there is still the possibility that he doesn't work out. But he is found money at the end of the second round and is a wizard on the ice. We're allowed to be excited about it, but thanks for your concern.

I wouldn’t be so cocky with the lack of success the Canadiens organization has had with their draft selections.

I should have rephrased myself better though, “Humble yourself” would probably covey what i‘m trying to say better.

I apologize if I came across differently. English is no longer my first language after all.

Reactions: wetcoast

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I wouldn’t be so cocky with the lack of success the Canadiens organization has had with their draft selections.

I should have rephrased myself better though, “Humble yourself” would probably covey what i‘m trying to say better.

I apologize if I came across differently. English is no longer my first language after all.
Lack of success? The closest comparable is a recent talented but diminutive winger who slipped in the draft because of size, but who had rampant success in D1 hockey and then took the Habs by storm with his scoring prowess under MSL...

That winger was maligned for his lack of size and Habs fans were cautioned that he was destined to fail because of it.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Lack of success? The closest comparable is a recent talented but diminutive winger who slipped in the draft because of size, but who had rampant success in D1 hockey and then took the Habs by storm with his scoring prowess under MSL...
Yes, lack of success. I don’t think it’s a secret that the Habs have had trouble picking in the first round since the lockout. things are better as of late, but it’s still too early to make a proclamation for a lot of these kids. I think a lot of people, me incuded we’re worried about Caufield’s success at 5on5, that being said I still had him in my top-10 on draft day.

This isn’t a rabbit hole I want to dive down further though, so I will peacefully exit this thread.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, lack of success. I don’t think it’s a secret that the Habs have had trouble picking in the first round since the lockout. things are better as of late, but it’s still too early to make a proclamation for a lot of these kids. I think a lot of people, me incuded we’re worried about Caufield’s success at 5on5, that being said I still had him in my top-10 on draft day.

This isn’t a rabbit hole I want to dive down further though, so I will peacefully exit this thread.
You don't need to leave. Opposing opinions are welcome in these forums. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just don't make fun of Youppi. That's where i draw the line.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

That winger was maligned for his lack of size and Habs fans were cautioned that he was destined to fail because of it.
Point, DeBrincat, Caufield, Hutson...

Variations on the same theme.

"Too small, not fast enough" so let's forget that they are exceptional talents with exceptional attributs that performed exceptionally everywhere they've been.

Caufield had been scoring at a 40+ rate for almost a year straight and still people will point out he has not scored 30 yet in a season. But yeah, it's Habs fans and only Habs fans that over hype their prospects. Only fanbase to do so. ;)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Point, DeBrincat, Caufield, Hutson...

Variations on the same theme.

"Too small, not fast enough" so let's forget that they are exceptional talents with exceptional attributs that performed exceptionally everywhere they've been.

Caufield had been scoring at a 40+ rate for almost a year straight and still people will point out he has not scored 30 yet in a season. But yeah, it's Habs fans and only Habs fans that over hype their prospects. Only fanbase to do so. ;)
The unprecedented nature of Hutson's offensive production as a freshman has me excited. I was similarly excited with Caufield's production in his second season in college.

Now compare that with the likes of Kidney and Mesar. I am not as excited and have plenty of reservations for those two players. Ditto Joshua Roy. I like them but am cautiously optimistic.

With Hutson, he's doing things that haven't been done in over 35 years.... You have to be excited for him to succeed.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The unprecedented nature of Hutson's offensive production as a freshman has me excited. I was similarly excited with Caufield's production in his second season in college.

Now compare that with the likes of Kidney and Mesar. I am not as excited and have plenty of reservations for those two players. Ditto Joshua Roy. I like them but am cautiously optimistic.

With Hutson, he's doing things that haven't been done in over 35 years.... You have to be excited for him to succeed.
I totally agree about your assessment. Roy/Mesar/Beck/etc. are not in the same stratosphere of prospect.

I had Caufield at #5 OA in his draft year. What he was doing at the program and the U18 was out of this world... Yet we got the "Habs are overhyping their prospects" thing even after he had his superb D+1 and D+2, winning the Hobey Baker the process.

Now Hutson has an unprecedented season that matches Brian frickin Leetch's, and we get the "Habs overhyping their prospects"/"calm down" posts again.

Circle of life.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I totally agree about your assessment. Roy/Mesar/Beck/etc. are not in the same stratosphere of prospect.

I had Caufield at #5 OA in his draft year. What he was doing at the program and the U18 was out of this world... Yet we got the "Habs are overhyping their prospects" thing even after he had his superb D+1 and D+2, winning the Hobey Baker the process.

Now Hutson has an unprecedented season that matches Brian frickin Leetch's, and we get the "Habs overhyping their prospects"/"calm down" posts again.

Circle of life.
Its over and above what Brian Leetch accomplished. College hockey now is far more defensive and systems organized than Leetch's day. Hutson is finding ways to create offense and break down defenses.

What also has me excited is Hutson has room to grow and has a many pounds of muscle and strength to pack on before he is in his final form. That added strength will improve his defense down low. He has room to improve his straight-line speed. There is so much room for improvement. He isn't close to peaking.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Its over and above what Brian Leetch accomplished. College hockey now is far more defensive and systems organized than Leetch's day. Hutson is finding ways to create offense and break down defenses.

What also has me excited is Hutson has room to grow and has a many pounds of muscle and strength to pack on before he is in his final form. That added strength will improve his defense down low. He has room to improve his straight-line speed. There is so much room for improvement. He isn't close to peaking.
Yeah. He's special. It is obvious to anyone that watches hockey... Hyping guys like him or Caufield is certainly fair game.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah. He's special. It is obvious to anyone that watches hockey... Hyping guys like him or Caufield is certainly fair game.
I remember Subban's final junior year. I was hyping him up like nobody's business and was getting ridiculed for overrating Habs prospects. Then when Galchenyuk was in his D + 1 year, i wasn't impressed at all and expressed concerns and got ridiculed by fellow Habs fans. I had similar concerns with KK and Poehling.

The last time i was wrong about a Hab player i hyped was Gui Lantendresse. I thought for sure he would pan out.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Love watching him continue to prove everybody wrong.

And of course makes the DEFENSIVE play with 5 seconds left to save the game

U can’t teach natural instincts, u can’t teach compete level and u can’t teach heart……..all of which he has in spades.

Kids a stud, will be an NHL’er some day for sure

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Do you just forget about Eichel and what he did 8 years prior. FANTILLI is great but Eichel had 70 plus points as a freshman.
Eichel has 70 pts in 40 games, 1.75 points per game.

Fantilli has 63 in 34, 1.85 points per game.

Noone is forgetting about Eichel, Fantilli has just been amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad