LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I wonder what the Habs do here. I think he has been dominant enough as a freshman, but could maybe use another year in the weight room. Does he have a clear path to the NHL? If he’s going to be in Laval it would be better to stay at BU.
Can't imagine any scenario he's not back in the NCAA next season.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I definitely prefer him back at College.

While his offensive talents are elite for NCAA, there's still a lot of fine tuning and development defensively and without the puck while slowly adding in the weight room.

He has great potential but you can't rush someone that raw in my opinion.

Reactions: Herby

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I’d defenitly be exercising some caution with Hutson Habs fans. The question has been how will his game transition to the NHL.

Here is a good thread by someone really smart in the NHL scouting community.

Person literally said what any rational hab fan thinks. The ones who think it's a given to be as good as Makar, or Hughes will never understand that it's a hard transition to the NHL. Everyone just ignores those fans.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I’d defenitly be exercising some caution with Hutson Habs fans. The question has been how will his game transition to the NHL.

Based on what exactly? Of course NCAA is not the same level and pretty much everyone could have said this. As for pressure, there will always be a lot in big markets. Warning people won't change anything.
He doesn't say it might not translate well or what he needs to improve. Everyone knows about the size. Easy to say I told you so...

No offense, but those tweets could be from anyone at any level.

Reactions: jfhabs

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Based on what exactly? Of course NCAA is not the same level and pretty much everyone could have said this. As for pressure, there will always be a lot in big markets. Warning people won't change anything.
He doesn't say it might not translate well or what he needs to improve. Everyone knows about the size. Easy to say I told you so...

No offense, but those tweets could be from anyone at any level.
Exactly

Beyond that we’ve got a log jam right now at D and he’s probably gonna wait till it clears next season before coming to the big club

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
That is smart. Good to see the Habs fans aren’t to eager to pull guys unless they are NHL ready. This is a lot like Caufield after his freshman year, and that worked out perfectly.
He may have grown to 5'10, but he still fairly light. Better go to back, get some weight work in, get use to his "new" frame. Work on more of his defensive side and trying to be effective without having to skate and dipsy-doodle all over, but don't lose that.

So, there's things he can work on still, so it's not like he's going back to a league where he can coast and not work hard and still dummy it.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
He will get at least another season in the NCAA where he can work on his skating and build muscle, he also needs more fine tuning on his deception which he overdoes a lot, slowing to a crawl and then losing the puck because of it. If he can regularly make his decisions before he loses speed (pass/deke) he will become much more effective.

More speed/acceleration will help him track forwards better, he gets beat out by faster players with a bigger reach.

I don't think his size will be an issue if he can improve on these things.

Reactions: viceroy and Eegs

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

caution about what? he's a late 2nd round pick lmao, this is a freeroll

every team in the NHL passed on this kid twice, if you knew what he was gonna do this season he would have easily been a top 10 pick, if not top 5

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Saw him today in Manchester, thought he looked good I tried to key on him, as he was one of the names I knew going in today. He’s quick, generally in the right place, made a few bad puck decisions, but what young player doesn’t, and he recovered nicely. He’s pretty slight though, probably will fill out over another year at school. Should be a good one though.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It's nice how quickly the size factor has been erased as a major concern. If he can work on his skating during the next two years and refine his defensive game, the sky is the limit.

Reactions: CapSpace

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah, Fox is quickly becoming the best comparison.
I enjoy it when a guy who is a normal sized guy who isn’t an insane athlete shows that brains can triumph over brawn in a place like the NHL. Hopefully he can round out his defense to an NHL level the way Fox has.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
5,10 and 165 pounds now, he needs to put on more muscle up to 185 pounds at least..

He will need a protector to play with him ,, Reinbacher ??
He doesn't need a protector, he's the guy who dish out the damage and the only way to defend against him is to play steady defense. Either way he's still going to beat you.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
caution about what? he's a late 2nd round pick lmao, this is a freeroll

every team in the NHL passed on this kid twice, if you knew what he was gonna do this season he would have easily been a top 10 pick, if not top 5
I had him at 9th overall in my draft ranking last season and stated on numerous occasions that he was the most talented player in last years draft. You’re not going to find someone that is more bullish on him than me.

With that said, I know how Habs fans like to blindly hype their prospects and was just offering some advice because of how out of control his “hype train” could become.

Most expected him to have a great college career, his transition to the NHL has been in question. He is going to need an NHL coach to give him the green light like he has gotten in both the NCAA and NTDP. That’s going to be a difficult ask. He is going to have faster, smarter, bigger and stronger NHL players that are able read his deception and close off on him better.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I had him at 9th overall in my draft ranking last season and stated on numerous occasions that he was the most talented player in last years draft. You’re not going to find someone that is more bullish on him than me.

With that said, I know how Habs fans like to blindly hype their prospects and was just offering some advice because of how out of control his “hype train” could become.

Most expected him to have a great college career, his transition to the NHL has been in question. He is going to need an NHL coach to give him the green light like he has gotten in both the NCAA and NTDP. That’s going to be a difficult ask. He is going to have faster, smarter, bigger and stronger NHL players that are able read his deception and close off on him better.
Fortunately the current NHL coach for us seems like the perfect fit for that. As he’s advocated for letting players play free

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
So then Hutson gonna refuse to play for the team who drafted him too? Cuz that's an option.
Certainly possible, but unlikely…an offensive dynamo to run the PP is exactly what that Habs team needs. Could be Hutson, Mailloux, maybe even Barron, but they almost certainly have the answer within the organization, look for them to draft more forwards this year.

I enjoy it when a guy who is a normal sized guy who isn’t an insane athlete shows that brains can triumph over brawn in a place like the NHL. Hopefully he can round out his defense to an NHL level the way Fox has.
Same. Although it’s important to acknowledge that it’s only possible because of how much the game has changed in the last couple decades. These guys didn’t really have a place at this level in the past, certainly seems like they’re the future though!

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad