LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I know it's a hard concept to wrap your head around, but some players develop over time.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of Matheson. He's... Fine.

Anyways, back to Hutson. These threads are a lot more interesting when we talk about the topic without you constantly detailing it.
Very rarely.

Most of the time this "development" is a change to a more favourable situation, or a hot shooting or otherwise lucky year, for a player that fans then convince themselves is "development".

You see it a lot where a guy gets promoted with better linemates and/or gets moved onto PP1, or gets on a shooting heater, produces better, and a fanbase thinks they magically improved leaps and bounds overnight. (in fact, that is exactly what happened with both of the players quoted to me as "late developers" they were both promoted to PP1 right when their alleged breakout happened)

The most recent and notable example I can think of is Juraj Slafkofsky.

He was playing well to start the year. Unfortunately he was getting some pretty terrible shooting luck and playing with some shit linemates so his raw numbers looked bad.

Then, he got moved to PP1, line 1, and got on a shooting heater.

Did he massively improve his play all of a sudden on a random wednesday? f*** NO. Did his situation change for the better? f*** yes.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Very rarely.

Most of the time this "development" is a change to a more favourable situation, or a hot shooting or otherwise lucky year, for a player that fans then convince themselves is "development".

You see it a lot where a guy gets promoted with better linemates and/or gets moved onto PP1, or gets on a shooting heater, produces better, and a fanbase thinks they magically improved leaps and bounds overnight. (in fact, that is exactly what happened with both of the players quoted to me as "late developers" they were both promoted to PP1 right when their alleged breakout happened)

The most recent and notable example I can think of is Juraj Slafkofsky.

He was playing well to start the year. Unfortunately he was getting some pretty terrible shooting luck and playing with some shit linemates so his raw numbers looked bad.

Then, he got moved to PP1, line 1, and got on a shooting heater.

Did he massively improve his play all of a sudden on a random wednesday? f*** NO. Did his situation change for the better? f*** yes.
That's an absurd take that stands out amongst your many others. Players constantly learn new skills and develop while assuming new responsibilities.

Can we talk about Hutson? You simply live in Habs related threads to derail the topic. Goodness gracious man, get a grip, grow up, and get out.

This is a Hutson thread and my last post tried to steer you back in that direction.

I, like many others, am excited to see Hutson play and I can't wait to see how he develops over the course of his career.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That's an absurd take that stands out amongst your many others. Players constantly learn new skills and develop while assuming new responsibilities.

Can we talk about Hutson? You simply live in Habs related threads to derail the topic. Goodness gracious man, get a grip, grow up, and get out.

This is a Hutson thread and my last post tried to steer you back in that direction.

I, like many others, am excited to see Hutson play and I can't wait to see how he develops over the course of his career.
Players very rarely develop once they have passed their mid 20s and first years in the NHL.

Interesting how you went to me and not any of the other commenters.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 10.37.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 10.38.20 PM.png

actually, yes. It was like a f***ing light switch if you watched.
His EV individual chance generation before and after the new year was incredibly similar.

But when you go from Josh Anderson to Caufield and Suzuki, it helps things look better. Going from terrible shooting luck to great shooting luck also helps to someone watching the game as a fan. It's a lot easier to remember a great pass when your teammate buries it and the highlight is shown 5 times.

And of course getting 3+ minutes a night to show off on the power play helps as well.

I understand as a fan you WANT it to be parabolic growth and a massive internal improvement. And so you convince yourself it is. Because that you can convince yourself that will just keep shooting up.

But there isn't a PP1+, or a superduper extra 1st line, that Slaf can be moved up further to, and that is disappointing to realize for fans.

That's not to say he hasn't improved. He has. But no, he did not just wake up on a random wednesday halfway through the season and magically become twice as good as he was the previous day. His linemates suddenly were twice as good as they previously were tho.

The good news is it means he was good all along. Even at the beginning of the year when the shots weren't going in and his linemates were incompetent buffoons.

To connect to Hutson: The exact same thing is going to happen with him when he inevitability replaces Matheson on PP1 at some point and your entire fanbase will be convinced he has magically become immensely better at hockey overnight.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Players very rarely develop once they have passed their mid 20s and first years in the NHL.

Interesting how you went to me and not any of the other commenters.
That's not true. Most players continue to develop their game throughout their careers, but it's not as pronounced as say a 19 year old.

You're in every single thread about anything related to Montreal. It's incredibly obnoxious. Find a team to cheer for yourself and stop derailing the topic.

Reactions: viceroy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Who are we referring to here? Is it;

Caufield (15)
Guhle (16)
Mailloux (31)
Slafkovsky (1)
Reinbacher (5)
Demidov (5)
Hage (21)

Because that’s all Montreal first round picks in the last 6 years. I see no misses here. Maybe you’re referring to your own misses in Barlow (18) Lucius (18) Pefertti (9) and Heinola (20)?
Who? Just pointing out that every rebuilding team has high picks that don’t live up to expectations. But the rebuilds that become winners have later picks (Hutson for the Habs) to make up for those misses.
If, in your opinion, the Habs only pick perfectly, that’s fine. But (imo) those high picks will inevitably have guys who don’t turn out and the Habs miss is covered with Hutson. We will need to see who the misses are.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
View attachment 908326View attachment 908327

His EV individual chance generation before and after the new year was incredibly similar.

But when you go from Josh Anderson to Caufield and Suzuki, it helps things look better. Going from terrible shooting luck to great shooting luck also helps to someone watching the game as a fan. It's a lot easier to remember a great pass when your teammate buries it and the highlight is shown 5 times.

And of course getting 3+ minutes a night to show off on the power play helps as well.

I understand as a fan you WANT it to be parabolic growth and a massive internal improvement. And so you convince yourself it is. Because that you can convince yourself that will just keep shooting up.

But there isn't a PP1+, or a superduper extra 1st line, that Slaf can be moved up further to, and that is disappointing to realize for fans.

That's not to say he hasn't improved. He has. But no, he did not just wake up on a random wednesday halfway through the season and magically become twice as good as he was the previous day. His linemates suddenly were twice as good as they previously were tho.

The good news is it means he was good all along. Even at the beginning of the year when the shots weren't going in and his linemates were incompetent buffoons.

To connect to Hutson: The exact same thing is going to happen with him when he inevitability replaces Matheson on PP1 at some point and your entire fanbase will be convinced he has magically become immensely better at hockey overnight.
Slaf DID NOT look good at the start of the year. He looked slow, he looked lost, and nothing was going his way. As the season progressed, he looked progressively better, but still wasn't getting the points. Once he did start getting the points, it seemed like a switch had been flicked, but while that's not true, neither is it true that he was good all along. His progression was quick, but it was a progression.

Hutson is going to struggle to start and will most likely experience something similar.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Slaf DID NOT look good at the start of the year. He looked slow, he looked lost, and nothing was going his way. As the season progressed, he looked progressively better, but still wasn't getting the points. Once he did start getting the points, it seemed like a switch had been flicked, but while that's not true, neither is it true that he was good all along. His progression was quick, but it was a progression.

Hutson is going to struggle to start and will most likely experience something similar.
Don't feed the troll. Nobody actually takes that opinion seriously. Let's get back to talking about Hutson.

Reactions: viceroy

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

I'd agree with that. He really started to cook right at the end of october into november

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad