LD K'Andre Miller (2018, 22nd, NYR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How come black athletes who play sports/positions typically occupied by white players, always run into the "smart enough' criticism? In the NFL it's QB's.....A lot of players aren't smart enough to play professional sports but it seems to get pointed out a lot when it's black player.
o boy...where did this come from?

For the record, as someone who has seen him play since he was 13 or so, I've never thought that IQ( specifically, hockey IQ) was a problem. Being converted to playing D at a comparatively late date has him playing catch up on certain skills and D specific decisions, which might make it appear, at times, that he has a low hockey IQ, when it's really just inexperience.

Early on in his career, when he was moved back and forth from D to forward, Brett Burns was considered to have a questionable hockey IQ. It seemed to work out OK for him.

We can make a list of dumb White, Asian, mixed race, and other hockey players if that will make you feel better.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Yeah its definitely more of the inexperience compared to lack of IQ. He thinks the game fine. He doesnt make bone head decisions like Wilde does (relax Islander fans, he will be fine). His raw tools are fantastic, he is a pure athlete, his development and learning curve are going up at a crazy pace. A few more years of learning the position at a high level and the skys the limit.

Reactions: North Country

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How come black athletes who play sports/positions typically occupied by white players, always run into the "smart enough' criticism? In the NFL it's QB's.....A lot of players aren't smart enough to play professional sports but it seems to get pointed out a lot when it's black player.
Pretty sure everyone praised Seth Jones for his "hockey IQ" when he was being drafted. Regardless, a player's play on the ice (or field) dictates how good they ultimately are, not what people say.

Reactions: LazyT and Dmang714

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
He has a lot of instincts that are forward inclined, which obviously makes sense when you understand that he is a forward converted to a defenseman. He didn't play defense until he was 15! He has a lot of development ahead of him and will continue to learn from experience. But the fact that his offensive talents are so apparent so early, coupled with his physical gifts, there's a gem here for sure.

I see him as a Werenski type if he doesn't develop his reads in the defensive end, but his potential could be a Seth Jones type. I already think he's a lot more competitive than Werenski in his own zone.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This prospect is a huge unknown, in my opinion.

I thought prior to the season that he was most likely a 4/5D that could be a first pairing guy if hockey skills develop, but it was more likely he'd hit his floor than ceiling because usually when you have to say "if hockey skills develop", it means that their hockey skills are far behind where they should be.

He's put up great stats at Wisconsin and did well enough to impress the US WJC staff, but every time I've seen him play this season, he plays mediocre hockey. It might be a huge coincidence. This is coming off a season where I think I had a better grasp of his play than this season, and I thought he regressed.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he is a first pair defenseman and I wouldn't be surprised if he never sticks in the NHL.

Reactions: Mrb1p

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I thought prior to the season that he was most likely a 4/5D that could be a first pairing guy if hockey skills develop, but it was more likely he'd hit his floor than ceiling because usually when you have to say "if hockey skills develop", it means that their hockey skills are far behind where they should be.

He's put up great stats at Wisconsin and did well enough to impress the US WJC staff, but every time I've seen him play this season, he plays mediocre hockey. It might be a huge coincidence. This is coming off a season where I think I had a better grasp of his play than this season, and I thought he regressed.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he is a first pair defenseman and I wouldn't be surprised if he never sticks in the NHL.

The issues are with your eyes.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

You can never admit when you were wrong huh?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I remember when we drafted him you said something like he had a toolbox but no tools at all, or something similarly asinine. You're just wrong on this guy, like most defensemen you "analyze."

Here's the post: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D)

He reminds you of Sean Day, his skills may be non-existent, he could also be like Brady Skjei but it's probably overly-optimistic to think he'll be more like Skjei than Day. And also he regressed last year.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You can never admit when you were wrong huh?

What am I wrong about? Is it that I don't take orders from Jeff Gorton like some appear to do?

Some of you need to stop waving the pom-poms and make objective assessments.

Form your own opinions. Don't pick up copies of the Rangers media relations department talking points. Its why so many are on ignore. I don't have the desire to argue with team cheerleaders.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

"I was wrong"

See, it's not so hard.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What am I wrong about? Is it that I don't take orders from Jeff Gorton like some appear to do?

Form your own opinions. Don't pick up copies of the Rangers media relations department talking points. Its why so many are on ignore. I don't have the desire to argue with team cheerleaders.

We do.

You just need to learn how to actually analyze what is good and what is not on the ice.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

You just ignore anyone that challenges you. You were the biggest cheerleader for Graves and Zborovskiy, and everyone told you they were nothing special. You were the "Wilmer Flores is an All Star" guy. Etc. Etc. And you've also been right about things! Just like everyone else. But you can't stand being wrong, refuse to ever admit that you are, and then put those of us that challenge you on ignore at the drop of a hat. It's why I know I won't get a response. :laugh:

Anyway, glad to see K'Andre playing so well on both sides of the puck. I naturally expect his scoring to subside, as I don't think he's quite the phenom his numbers suggest, but I have been very happy with what I've seen. Tremendous upside here.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

He could literally be jettisoned to the moon and this post accounted for that lol

For someone that had such a firm stance on it being a bad pick you sure seem wishy washy now.

Also, people call you out because you are an ahole and give runaround insult responses when people take exception to your posting habits.

If it smells like crap everywhere you walk, check your feet.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

I do form my own opinions and my opinions is Kandre has been awesome this year and not even close to the player you described him as.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad