Value of: Laine, off season trade (mod warning OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The issue with Laine at the moment is you can get that caliber player for 7.5M as a UFA and not have to give up assets. So as a GM you have to bet on his potential when he already hasn’t worked out on two teams and give up the appropriate assets to get him

Reactions: Guffman

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In what world is current Patrik Laine worth a young 1C
The world in which we don't trade him unless we get what we need.

I think we'd be able to settle for a top-6 C slightly short of that standard, myself, but mine is one of the more conciliatory positions. No, really.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And despite that talent you’re taking about, your team is at the basement of the league. I find it hard to believe that all CBJ needs is a top 6 C and everything will be alright again. Injuries play a part too but at some point you have to be realistic. 4 first round picks in a deep draft can do a lot for CBJ

Who knows. Maybe some fresh coaching and some health luck would be enough and you don't even need new centers. The Jackets haven't played like a team for most of the year and have been missing big chunks of the roster. There's plenty of room for improvement because the team has been so much less than the sum of their parts.

For further context - the Jackets were one of the better 5v5 teams in the league last year, about 52% xGF% and 51% GF%. This year they're way way down to 46% xGF% and 41% GF%. What accounts for this? I see lots of room for immediate improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
& as has the question been why should Columbus trade Laine for less today?
Coming off a season where he played at a 35 point pace, opposed to a season where he played at a 76 point pace. The very real possibility that no team will have a 1C under 25 demanding a trade this summer. Also, uncertainty of cost until an extension is signed while in a flat cap world. Not saying Columbus necessarily should trade him this summer, but am saying that if they do they are very unlikely to be able to get the same value for him as they paid.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Coming off a season where he played at a 35 point pace, opposed to a season where he played at a 76 point pace. The very real possibility that no team will have a 1C under 25 demanding a trade this summer. Also, uncertainty of cost until an extension is signed while in a flat cap world. Not saying Columbus necessarily should trade him this summer, but am saying that if they do they are very unlikely to be able to get the same value for him as they paid.

The point was Jarmo isn’t looking to trade Laine today.
He’s been after Laine since the draft and the entire team had an abysmal season, not just Laine.

They have 3 1st round picks, Laine/Werenski/Jones and most likely a new coach next year.
Let’s see what Jarmo can build around his franchise players

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The point was Jarmo isn’t looking to trade Laine today.
He’s been after Laine since the draft and the entire team had an abysmal season, not just Laine.

They have 3 1st round picks, Laine/Werenski/Jones and most likely a new coach next year.
Let’s see what Jarmo can build around his franchise players
Beat me to it. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Reactions: BB88 and CBJx614

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
There's only one player that comes to mind and I don't want to mention the name because he's overkill and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for the Blackhawks, and those are the sorts of circumstances that can start flamewars. :)

Fair enough. I don't think you will get a 40G scorer at this point. But I totally respect you being wishful.

When reality sets in I'm not sure you will get a 25G scorer for Laine.

It's a precarious situation. I think you can still get 2 first round picks though.
The new team probably needs to be a BIG MARKET team considering he's more likely to stay.

Salary not sure what to pay him he doesn't deserve a raise. Alex Debrincat received 6.4 x 3 years. The new team probably would need to be 7.5 x 3 years. And he's playing like a 5.5 million dollar player.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
We're not trading him unless we get our major need (defensively-minded top-6 or even top-line center) filled. Otherwise, it makes infinitely more sense to QO him and see if we can get him rehabbed under new circumstances. Selling low would be potentially disastrous.

(Also, that "demotion to the 4th line" lasted for all of one shift.)
Miller for Laine was discussed between me and another CBJ fan. What do you think, Viqsi?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad