Value of: Laine, off season trade (mod warning OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Laine might be the most overrated player in the league. He hurts any team he's on more than he helps it. Can he turn it around? Maybe, but I sure wouldn't pay 7M+ for the chance to find out.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Why wouldn't the 1st step be to let Torts walk?
Then JK should start to massage Laine
Then a new coach, will tell him to do what he does best
The coach will continue the massage.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You can see the makings of a Kessel arc here. Laine is Winnipeg ended relatively quickly like Kessel in Boston did. Columbus will try to build around him to save face, but come to realize that he's best suited to be a complimentary player elsewhere (Kessel in Toronto). When he finally finds that sweet spot, he'll succeed, but then wear out his welcome (Kessel in Pittsburgh). He'll then move on to some other organization looking for production, where he'll fade into obscurity (Kessel in Arizona).

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
That would be a great deal for the Jackets.

It probably not a straight up trade...we are short on centers.

This would be based on our owner/manager being as spiteful and shortsighted as we all know they are too.

How are you guys set on D by the way? And are there any other forwards that can play center that don't fit the Blue Jackets style that could be made available?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It probably not a straight up trade...we are short on centers.

This would be based on our owner/manager being as spiteful and shortsighted as we all know they are too.

How are you guys set on D by the way? And are there any other forwards that can play center that don't fit the Blue Jackets style that could be made available?

Every position is basically in a state of flux.

Our forwards, are, well, bad-almost to a player with the exception of Bjorkstrand, Roslovich and Atkinson, Robinson and Jenner. Roslovich may be the C that fits the bill for you guys. The two defensive stalwarts contracts come up after next season. Jones will be a UFA and probably will be signed to a Doughty/Karlsson $11 million/8 year albatross contract. Werenski will be an RFA who may want to play in his hometown of Detroit. The rest are spare part bottom pairing-type guys. The two goalies are signed only through next season. Perhaps Korpisalo would be a suitable back up in VAN.

If I were running the show, you'd get Laine + players+ a 2nd rounder. I'm not bullish on the CBJ:laugh:

Reactions: Cogburn

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So your saying he needs to be Crosby RW for a few years? Kessel at least carried the 3rd line here

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If someone offers sheets him to a 3 x 10m deal, what does Columbus do?

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
You can see the makings of a Kessel arc here. Laine is Winnipeg ended relatively quickly like Kessel in Boston did. Columbus will try to build around him to save face, but come to realize that he's best suited to be a complimentary player elsewhere (Kessel in Toronto). When he finally finds that sweet spot, he'll succeed, but then wear out his welcome (Kessel in Pittsburgh). He'll then move on to some other organization looking for production, where he'll fade into obscurity (Kessel in Arizona).

Kessel analogy was a solid comparison.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Every position is basically in a state of flux.

Our forwards, are, well, bad-almost to a player with the exception of Bjorkstrand, Roslovich and Atkinson, Robinson and Jenner. Roslovich may be the C that fits the bill for you guys. The two defensive stalwarts contracts come up after next season. Jones will be a UFA and probably will be signed to a Doughty/Karlsson $11 million/8 year albatross contract. Werenski will be an RFA who may want to play in his hometown of Detroit. The rest are spare part bottom pairing-type guys. The two goalies are signed only through next season. Perhaps Korpisalo would be a suitable back up in VAN.

If I were running the show, you'd get Laine + players+ a 2nd rounder. I'm not bullish on the CBJ:laugh:

Well I mean that's a start to negotiations.

Jones would be awesome, but yeah, I assumed he was untouchable. Unless....

Werenski would also seem way higher a cost then I think I'd be looking at evening Laine/Miller.

Roslovich (as a home town guy) I wouldn't dream of dislodging, if he's working out. The others seem very high cost, and if their listed by name as being the exception to bad forwards, well, yeah...

Korpisalo might be a little high in terms of what we'd need as a backup. Holtby would have to be taken by Seattle before we need a new goalie too, nothings a given there.

I was looking at someone like Domi (a winger that can be shoehorned in to center in the even of us losing 3+ centers to injury, in my mind anyway), but also wanted to gauge the value of Schmidt, Myers or Juolevi (our contracted D worth more than a 5th), after the expansion draft as well. Mostly to twist the most out of a trade if one of our guys holds value to your team, and free up some cap space to hand over to Laine. Available as either ala carte, or as part of a value meal.

I'd also be remised if I didn't ask if any fans of Columbus would be interested in taking a hundred pennies for your dollar in Laine. Oddly, I feel that a line of Laine, Boeser and Miller would absolutely nuts to watch. If Miller is a must, Laine, Pettersson and Boeser would also be insane.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Kings have the assets but I don't want him unless they get him for a bargain. He's just too inconsistent for the salary and assets it may cost to acquire him. The most I'd offer is something like Kempe, Kupari, and our 1st this year.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Big RFA for 2022, 23yrs old. Let’s face it if he didn’t like his role in WPG, then he definitely hates it there in CBJ. Here’s a list of reasons why:
John Tortorella
Struggling to generate offence
Ice time has significantly dropped
Demoted to 4th line with AHL caliber players
Sometimes he’s scratched
Derailed with injuries (nothing to do with CBJ) but still.... list goes on

What are teams willing to give up for this RFA or potential sign and trade?

Here's a better idea.

Jarmo, fire Torts...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Well I mean that's a start to negotiations.

Jones would be awesome, but yeah, I assumed he was untouchable. Unless....

Werenski would also seem way higher a cost then I think I'd be looking at evening Laine/Miller.

Roslovich (as a home town guy) I wouldn't dream of dislodging, if he's working out. The others seem very high cost, and if their listed by name as being the exception to bad forwards, well, yeah...

Korpisalo might be a little high in terms of what we'd need as a backup. Holtby would have to be taken by Seattle before we need a new goalie too, nothings a given there.

I was looking at someone like Domi (a winger that can be shoehorned in to center in the even of us losing 3+ centers to injury, in my mind anyway), but also wanted to gauge the value of Schmidt, Myers or Juolevi (our contracted D worth more than a 5th), after the expansion draft as well. Mostly to twist the most out of a trade if one of our guys holds value to your team, and free up some cap space to hand over to Laine. Available as either ala carte, or as part of a value meal.

I'd also be remised if I didn't ask if any fans of Columbus would be interested in taking a hundred pennies for your dollar in Laine. Oddly, I feel that a line of Laine, Boeser and Miller would absolutely nuts to watch. If Miller is a must, Laine, Pettersson and Boeser would also be insane.

I would think that Domi would be very available. He's had 2 down years in a row and would probably come to you guys cheap.

I don't think that Jones is available though I'd certainly let him go for the right price.

Reactions: Cogburn

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
As much as Verhaeghe Barkov Laine sounds exciting, I find the notion of having a Barkov, Bennett, Lundell down the middle on three 3 lines more exciting. Add on to the fact that maybe they can keep Wennberg

Verhaeghe Barkov Duclair
Huberdeau Bennett Tippett
Vatrano Lundell Denisenko
Acciari Wennberg Hornqvist

Only player I'd give up for Laine is Denisenko and thats not enough for Laine.

No deal between the two can be made.

Reactions: RogerRoger

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
i think if the rumors are true that he wants to go to la they would be interested. However I don't see what the kings could offer that i would be ok giving up for him. He does however fit a need the kings have scoring goals.
Aren't the Jackets looking for centres? Value is definitely difficult to gauge here but perhaps a deal around Turcotte could work. I'm a fan of neither team so I don't know if he's even available, it just makes sense that the Kings would be dealing from a position of strength to address a weakness, and CBJ would be dealing Laine to address their weakness down the middle.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Can CBJ fans have more than 30+ games and a shorten season (no preseason, new system, new teammates, new coach etc.) Before we have thread after thread demanding CBJ fans to take nothing for him.

How about a #1C? Oh you want to offer prospects and picks? How about no then.
I don't think most teams would trade a pick and a prospect for Laine at this point, so good luck with that lol

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Aren't the Jackets looking for centres? Value is definitely difficult to gauge here but perhaps a deal around Turcotte could work. I'm a fan of neither team so I don't know if he's even available, it just makes sense that the Kings would be dealing from a position of strength to address a weakness, and CBJ would be dealing Laine to address their weakness down the middle.

I'm sure he would be available for the right price.
The Kings have more centers then we could ever use

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm not sure if I like Turcotte as a prospect but it's the right general idea for CBJ.

Reactions: EK392000 and Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad