Value of: Laine, off season trade (mod warning OP)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The least original proposal reoccurring here again:

JT Miller is probably on the block after having the audacity to question management and ownership.

He's looked good as our 1b center, too.
That would be a great deal for the Jackets.

Reactions: Cogburn

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
That's not exactly accurate. I said established 1 C wh is under 25. If you don't like that, don't make an offer, because that's what it will take.

That’s not what it would take at all.

Maybe in your brain, that’s what it would take, but I’m not going to barter with someone that is oblivious to Laine’s actual value.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
That might have something to do with why we're talking about not trading him this offseason.

Obviously, he is worth more than a second rounder and B prospect, but then Columbus fans are taking it to the other extreme by demanding an established under 25 1C.

These are pointless threads if people aren’t going to adhere to proper valuation of players.

Reactions: RogerRoger and Fro

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Laine's contract is up after this season and he plays like garbage barely getting 20 points.

People are asking his current trade value and he is not worth jack shit right now.
He’s not returning a young centre like PLD, that’s for sure. But I think that’s because any team acquiring him would need to factor in the next contract Laine will get, and not so much about his current poor Play. He’s just got way too much potential to be a rare 50 goal guy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Obviously, he is worth more than a second rounder and B prospect, but then Columbus fans are taking it to the other extreme by demanding an established under 25 1C.

These are pointless threads if people aren’t going to adhere to proper valuation of players.
Congratulations; you're starting to finally realize Jackets fans' position on the issue. :)

Reactions: Monk

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He’s not returning a young centre like PLD, that’s for sure. But I think that’s because any team acquiring him would need to factor in the next contract Laine will get, and not so much about his current poor Play. He’s just got way too much potential to be a rare 50 goal guy.

In winnipeg he was constantly being fed the puck by our players night after night.
His current value is not based on what he did here.

His value is now based on what he did in columbus , his attitude and how he has been totally exposed.

That is why his return is so low.
Columbus may as well keep him at this point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I winnipeg he was constantly being fed the puck by our players night after night.

His value is now based on what he did in columbus , his attitude and how he has been totally exposed.

How old is he, 22? How big is he, 6’4” and 210? How skilled is he? How does he shoot the puck? How many goals can he score, and in different ways?
Way too much talent and potential to not have lots of value

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
In winnipeg he was constantly being fed the puck by our players night after night.

His ideal production comes from a team like Winnipeg that did give him ample opportunities on a skilled team. On a team like Columbus, he's just a wasted player. They can't utilize his strengths properly and all that is left with is his multitude of weaknesses. The thing is, we know that Laine can dominate a game (like he did in the first game of the year) but he just seems to lack that consistent motivation to do that more regularly.

Sure, Columbus can try to bring in more skilled players (not that easy lol) and "change their system" but realistically, I don't see a radical change next year and the time is ticking until Laine is a UFA. Laine will have more value to a team that can properly use him and that team is certainly not Columbus.

If Columbus wants to commit big money to Laine and then try to build a team around him and their tiny handful of star players, that's a bit of a longer-term project. Would Laine even be interested in that? Who knows. Is it wise for Columbus to take that huge risk? Probably not but maybe they have to in order to show other players that Columbus is committed to keeping star players.

It's definitely not a good situation but I am morbidly curious how this all plays out, starting with the contract Laine signs this offseason.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Spargon

May 31, 2019
That's not exactly accurate. I said established 1 C wh is under 25. If you don't like that, don't make an offer, because that's what it will take.

Ahh yes the old my struggling player is actually a superstar and requires a slam dunk win of a trade to even consider.

What you think it will take isn't based on reality. Its what you would LIKE to help fill needs of your team which is fair to want but bad idea to expect it and die on that hill

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It doesn't matter what you think. That's the cost. You look like a Florida fan. Make a proposal that include Barkov. As an example:

To Columbus

Barkov

To Florida

Laine
Lightning 1st 2021

Why would anyone include Barkov in a trade for Laine ? Laine couldn't carry Barkov jock . You want Barkov Laine is the sweetener or maybe included for cap reason . Honestly the CBJs don't have the asset to get Barkov

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

But he just doesn't have the heart and drive to be that guy . He plays the game that causes him the least resistant . Back in the 80s playing with Gretzky he could've carved out a career scoring goals with Gretzky's passes .

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

So like, 85% of all trade threads on HF.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
That is way, WAY too much. Laine is ultra talented but is a head case. Why not get Kuznetsov for cheaper from the Capitals?
Laine is a head case but Kuznetsov isn’t? Thats a odd take.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00