Value of: Laine, off season trade (mod warning OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Most people's houses won't take them to arbitration and then leave you with nothing in 2 years.

Tough situation for Columbus with Laine's $7.5 million QO. Laine will be their highest paid player next year. He needs to bring it or else it will be a huge distraction.
And if that happens, we'll consider lower prices. But "if" isn't good enough to go for that right now.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Why would he sign a longer offer for lower money while in a flat cap era while coming off a disastrous season? He can sign a 1 year QO @ 7.5mil, bet on himself that he bounces back AND be one year closer to UFA status looking for another contract.
Players literally sign for less than their QO all the time. Term guarantees more money

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I expect the CBJ will make front office/coaching changes in the offseason, and re-sign Laine. Trade him when his value has cratered and you'll get very little in exchange, and they know that.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I expect the CBJ will make front office/coaching changes in the offseason, and re-sign Laine. Trade him when his value has cratered and you'll get very little in exchange, and they know that.

That's really half the solution right there. Fix the coaching and get Laine under contract.

Find him a playmaking C to set him up and feed him passes he can deliver on net. They don't have to be a 1C and it can be a guy in the twilight of his career to fill the gap while the Jackets seek a more permanent solution.

Put Laine in a position to deliver and things will correct themselves.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
You're trying to look at this from a "fair market value" standpoint based on prior precedent. That's not going to tell anything about what we would trade him for; it just indicates how likely we are to get what we'd require.

The prior precedent was only a handful of months ago. With this disaster season, it’s just not worth speculating that another team would give you even more value than what you gave up to get him.

Basically, what you’re saying is that you’re not trading Laine without an excessive overpay.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The prior precedent was only a handful of months ago. With this disaster season, it’s just not worth speculating that another team would give you even more value than what you gave up to get him.

Basically, what you’re saying is that you’re not trading Laine without an excessive overpay.

If you're basing "excessive overpay" based solely on Laine's most recent play and have no expectation of improvement, then sure.

Reactions: Viqsi

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Ottawa’s 2021 1st unprotected and a prospect, C Logan Brown? Would give the jackets 2 picks in the top 8. For a total of four 1st round picks for 2021. Not a bad strategic move for a team in need of a rebuild.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You'll have to pardon me for not really trusting Reinhart's recent hot streak.

* * *​

I'm fairly sure we'd do that; I'd be surprised if Edmonton did, tho. They seem to have a justifiably high opinion of Holloway up there.

* * *​

You're trying to look at this from a "fair market value" standpoint based on prior precedent. That's not going to tell anything about what we would trade him for; it just indicates how likely we are to get what we'd require.

* * *​

Frankly I think getting back the kind of center we need is unlikely enough without going the "if you overwhelm us with value using other pieces" route. About the only other place we could find a significant upgrade is RD - LD and G are more or less settled and W is where we'd try to rehab Laine.

I'm pretty sure I've made my position on "flip it for what you REALLY want" type deals exceedingly clear over the last few years. :)

* * *​

I'm honestly not sold on Strome's ability to be the C we need. I'd consider him as a low-cost experimental pickup for playing alongside Laine, but not as the chief asset in his return.

* * *​

trouble.gif

* * *​

If you want to discuss fourth-liners, you're in the wrong thread. Patrick Laine has never played a game on the fourth line for the Blue Jackets.

* * *​

I look at his 5-on-5 production and worry a lot. So I hesitate.

We "really want" a lot of things. The club can improve in multiple positions. Even by replacing Laine with a more fitting winger. You're also just ignoring the bilateral exchange problem, Laine is a special case, not an easy piece to move.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If you're basing "excessive overpay" based solely on Laine's most recent play and have no expectation of improvement, then sure.

No, my point is that we saw what the established value was a few months ago, and Laine has not done anything to increase that value (certainly, many would say his value has decreased). Ignoring his performance this season, to ask for a 1C or anything beyond a PLD is asking for an excessive overpay.

The Jets were looking for trade partners for Laine in the offseason and didn’t have much luck. Why would CBJ be more successful this offseason?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Why would CBJ be more successful this offseason?

But isn't that what CBJ fans have been saying/acknowledging over and over again? There's essentially zero chance he gets traded this offseason (short of aforementioned "overpay"), so I guess the rest of you can keep bickering about what his all-time low price is if you want, but I'll tap out now. Carry on.

Reactions: Viqsi and Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I think it's unfair to base the Dubois/Laine trade as the bases for player value in the NHL. Both wanted out and this was an opportunity for both teams, in this situation, to get a plus level player out of an untenable situation. We, as fans, might view that trade knowing what we know now and factor in Roslovic as a significant piece based on his unexpected performance. The reality is, Roslovic also wanted out of Winnipeg and was sitting at home in Columbus. Sitting at home as a bottom 6 winger with very little value. Doesn't matter he was a 1st round pick. The deal was ultimately PLD for Laine. Top 6 C for elite level scoring wing.

Fast forward and it's easy to say Laine isn't an elite level scoring wing based on how this season has unfolded. No doubt in my mind that GMs in the league look at Laine's skill set and still see a top 3 winger with elite scoring capability. Certainly hasn't shown in Columbus but he's in no different position that Jones no longer being viewed as an elite top pair RHD. It simply is the result of the ugly season endured by the CBJ. We'll see what changes occur in the off season but don't write off Laine bring back significant assets should he be traded. However, I don't think he's moved. I think he signs a 1 year deal, see's what happens in Columbus and then we find out what he either returns or signs for long term.

I guess my point is, Columbus doesn't move him for anything less that what their perceived value is. Some will call that overpayment but GMs around the league know what this 22yo winger can do and will certainly pony up for it. Just my opinion.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Ottawa’s 2021 1st unprotected and a prospect, C Logan Brown? Would give the jackets 2 picks in the top 8. For a total of four 1st round picks for 2021. Not a bad strategic move for a team in need of a rebuild.
Except that's a misnomer. This team isn't in need of a rebuild. That implies no talent, wherein the CBJ actually has quite a bit of talent. What they lack is stability in top 6 C. Every center is either a prospect with no experience or wing that doesn't belong at center. It's a huge hole but not a rebuild. Unfortunately the middle of the ice is critical for every aspect, and then add the loss to injury and it looks ugly (I'll grant you that), but it's not a rebuild situation. I want to see what Jones does as that sets the path for how Columbus moves forward. They have talent it's just that many don't want to look at the full picture. That picture is ugly this year. I get it.

Reactions: majormajor and Monk

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
What about we try the nice way for a change.

Just ignoring If's and When's

Let's say the Kings ask for his RFA rights.
What would Columbus ask for?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Why? Colorado doesn’t need Laine. They are the highest scoring team in the NHL and have great defensive metics. There is zero need for a one way player like Laine. Unless we can jettison guys like JTC or Kadri, it makes no sense.

And why would Columbus want those guys. They’d want good players we need a lot more than the Avs need a Laine.

I don’t see any possible deal here than benefits both teams.

I think Laine could find his game again if he played with either MacKinnon or Rantanen.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think it's unfair to base the Dubois/Laine trade as the bases for player value in the NHL. Both wanted out and this was an opportunity for both teams, in this situation, to get a plus level player out of an untenable situation. We, as fans, might view that trade knowing what we know now and factor in Roslovic as a significant piece based on his unexpected performance. The reality is, Roslovic also wanted out of Winnipeg and was sitting at home in Columbus. Sitting at home as a bottom 6 winger with very little value. Doesn't matter he was a 1st round pick. The deal was ultimately PLD for Laine. Top 6 C for elite level scoring wing.

Fast forward and it's easy to say Laine isn't an elite level scoring wing based on how this season has unfolded. No doubt in my mind that GMs in the league look at Laine's skill set and still see a top 3 winger with elite scoring capability. Certainly hasn't shown in Columbus but he's in no different position that Jones no longer being viewed as an elite top pair RHD. It simply is the result of the ugly season endured by the CBJ. We'll see what changes occur in the off season but don't write off Laine bring back significant assets should he be traded. However, I don't think he's moved. I think he signs a 1 year deal, see's what happens in Columbus and then we find out what he either returns or signs for long term.

I guess my point is, Columbus doesn't move him for anything less that what their perceived value is. Some will call that overpayment but GMs around the league know what this 22yo winger can do and will certainly pony up for it. Just my opinion.

Laine was coming off a 63 point in 68 game campaign and was making more of an effort at a complete game. By many accounts, the Jets tried to trade him this offseason without success. They end up trading him for the disgruntled PLD.

Ignoring Laine’s performance this season, why would anyone think CBJ could extract more value for Laine than the Jets could? You think teams would now throw a 1C at CBJ when they could have gotten Laine for less last offseason with an additional year of control?

Is the basis of your argument that since Laine wanted out of Winnipeg, they were only willing to low ball the Jets, but since Laine is super happy in Columbus, they will now toss the moon for him?

Come on, guys.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Except that's a misnomer. This team isn't in need of a rebuild. That implies no talent, wherein the CBJ actually has quite a bit of talent. What they lack is stability in top 6 C. Every center is either a prospect with no experience or wing that doesn't belong at center. It's a huge hole but not a rebuild. Unfortunately the middle of the ice is critical for every aspect, and then add the loss to injury and it looks ugly (I'll grant you that), but it's not a rebuild situation. I want to see what Jones does as that sets the path for how Columbus moves forward. They have talent it's just that many don't want to look at the full picture. That picture is ugly this year. I get it.

And despite that talent you’re taking about, your team is at the basement of the league. I find it hard to believe that all CBJ needs is a top 6 C and everything will be alright again. Injuries play a part too but at some point you have to be realistic. 4 first round picks in a deep draft can do a lot for CBJ

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We "really want" a lot of things. The club can improve in multiple positions. Even by replacing Laine with a more fitting winger. You're also just ignoring the bilateral exchange problem, Laine is a special case, not an easy piece to move.
I'm not so much ignoring it as downplaying it because I consider rehabbing him and getting him playing well again here to actually be a viable course of action.

Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
And despite that talent you’re taking about, your team is at the basement of the league. I find it hard to believe that all CBJ needs is a top 6 C and everything will be alright again. Injuries play a part too but at some point you have to be realistic. 4 first round picks in a deep draft can do a lot for CBJ
I guess we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad