Value of: Laine, off season trade (mod warning OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I don’t see Laine playing a game next season for CBJ. I think he’ll request out again.

He’s also not worth his QO right now. He is capable of being worth it when he plays like he did up until the end of November 2018. I feel like it’s been downhill since that 5 goal game vs STL.

The talent is still there, it’s just not going to show in CBJ. They have no good centres really and the roster is below average. Torts should be gone this summer, so that might help Laine but that won’t change how bad the offense is.

When you lose guys like Panarin, Dubois, Anderson, etc it hurts. Laine can’t be the line driver which is what he’s expected to be right now.

Even though he complained about his role in WPG, he still played with Ehlers. There’s no forward close to that on CBJ.

Interesting to see how this plays out. Jarmo playing hardball with RFAs lost CBJ Dubois and Andy. Werenski next? He just fired his agent. A big move this summer would be Kotkaniemi for Werenski. Bergevin gets his top end PMD and Jarmo gets a Finnish centre for Patty. Pure speculation obv.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I met your need therefore you need to do it. :sarcasm:
trouble.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don’t see Laine playing a game next season for CBJ. I think he’ll request out again.

He’s also not worth his QO right now. He is capable of being worth it when he plays like he did up until the end of November 2018. I feel like it’s been downhill since that 5 goal game vs STL.

The talent is still there, it’s just not going to show in CBJ. They have no good centres really and the roster is below average. Torts should be gone this summer, so that might help Laine but that won’t change how bad the offense is.

When you lose guys like Panarin, Dubois, Anderson, etc it hurts. Laine can’t be the line driver which is what he’s expected to be right now.

Even though he complained about his role in WPG, he still played with Ehlers. There’s no forward close to that on CBJ.

Interesting to see how this plays out. Jarmo playing hardball with RFAs lost CBJ Dubois and Andy. Werenski next? He just fired his agent. A big move this summer would be Kotkaniemi for Werenski. Bergevin gets his top end PMD and Jarmo gets a Finnish centre for Patty. Pure speculation obv.
Thanks for sharing. Your trade proposal is not going to happen and your attempt to draw the thread off-topic into "let's play vulture games with the CBJ roster" territory is not appreciated.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I just can't see a team giving up major assets for him and also paying him big $$

He is clearly a tremendous goal scorer, but he is a literal drag everywhere else.

Reactions: duckpuck

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Thanks for sharing. Your trade proposal is not going to happen and your attempt to draw the thread off-topic into "let's play vulture games with the CBJ roster" territory is not appreciated.
I don’t particularly care whether or not you appreciate my post. I’m completely neutral towards the Jackets. I don’t care about the team in any way. My post is an analysis of why Laine can’t succeed in Columbus.

The trade talk was fun speculation. Not the point I was trying to get across.

Laine’s success in CBJ is going to be limited because there’s not a consistent top-end playmaker down the middle. If you had the 2018-19 version of Max Domi, it’d be a different story. Guys like Texier, current Domi, Boone Jenner, and Roslovic, won’t get what you want out of Laine. It’s necessary to point out CBJ’s roster issues to show why Laine won’t work there.

Reactions: DanyHeatley

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I am scared the Flyers will have interest. They have reportedly been interested in the past and he has only gotten cheaper. Flyers have already said they want to add a top Dman, scorer, and back up goalie.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
If sam reinhart has no interest in signing a long term deal with buffalo. That's probably gonna be the best deal for the Jackets

Reinhart for laine

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think that Florida would be a good landing spot for him
However, since Jackets fans seem hellbent on somehow getting a top 6 center for him, I'd say we wait for the experiment to inevitably fail once again in 2021-22, then trade for his signing rights for cheaper
And how do you propose Florida is going to be able to land Laine? Columbus needs Center depth as does Florida Jarmo would easily want Lundell added to the deal and Zito would veto that offer no pun intended.

Reactions: Viqsi

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
His situation is a recipe for a bad return.

1. Bad market
2. Poor production
3. High QO/salary
4. Very little control/contract term
5. Possible attitude issues
6. Injuries
7. Coaching/ice time/demotion issues.

CBJ are almost certainly better off keeping him and selling him at the deadline.

Maybe if Torts leaves and he bounces back they can come to an agreement.

Not a lot of incentive for either party to seek a long term contract.

They'd be selling at the absolute lowest.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
We're not trading him unless we get our major need (defensively-minded top-6 or even top-line center) filled.

Laine AND Roslovic only garnered PLD. In theory, Laine by himself would get a centre that is less capable than PLD.

Is that what you mean by a “top line center”? Don’t ask for more than what you gave up for Laine, especially after Laine’s horrible season.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I feel like Torts will be gone next season and Laine wll get a fresh start.

I think maybe the Flames and Blue Jackets could be good partners in a deal involving Backlund, he's only a second line center, but he's an excellent two-way players and has a history of making everyone he plays with better.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Laine AND Roslovic only garnered PLD. In theory, Laine by himself would get a centre that is less capable than PLD.

Is that what you mean by a “top line center”. Don’t ask for more than what you gave up for Laine, especially after Laine’s horrible season.
Laine and Roslovic got PLD and a 3rd, it's hard to argue that Roslovoc at the time of the deal had much of any value more than a 3rd.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Feel free to go ahead and come up with and describe a plausible scenario in which trading Laine this offseason for anything short of that ends up actually benefiting and improving the Jackets. We'll wait.

I think we should be willing to accept returns other than just centers. It would have to be great value, of course.

We've got a bilateral exchange problem here. The number of teams that can make Laine work, on the cap and on the ice, is limited. It doesn't overlap enough with the list of teams with spare centers. I'd rather see what the best offers are from teams that don't have spare centers. Perhaps we get a great draft pick which can be parlayed into a big center upgrade. Or perhaps we get a different need filled. It's not like the club wouldn't benefit from upgrades at other positions.

Reactions: koteka and Viqsi

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
You think Roslovic was only worth a third round pick? Huh. o_O
Yes, I do. 24 year old, had yet to crack 30 points. He might've been worth a bit more, but not enough to really complain about suggesting Laine and PLD had similar value.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Dylan Strome --ceiling is second line center.

Nakita Zadorov a beast physically and looking for a contract around 3.5-3.75 for three years #4 defenseman RFA.

2022 first round pick top 5 protected. A 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2021.

Patrick Laine to Chicago

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The least original proposal reoccurring here again:

JT Miller is probably on the block after having the audacity to question management and ownership.

He's looked good as our 1b center, too.

Looked like hot garbage tonight. :laugh:

In all seriousness I think he would fit for CBJ. Not a bad return.

Couture for Laine. Do it.

If we want Couture we'll just wait for you to buy him out.

If sam reinhart has no interest in signing a long term deal with buffalo. That's probably gonna be the best deal for the Jackets

Reinhart for laine

That works for CBJ as long as Sam extends. Otherwise too close to UFA.

Dylan Holloway, 2021 1st, Caleb Jones, and Zac Kassian for Laine.

I actually like this package quite a bit.

I feel like Torts will be gone next season and Laine wll get a fresh start.

I think maybe the Flames and Blue Jackets could be good partners in a deal involving Backlund, he's only a second line center, but he's an excellent two-way players and has a history of making everyone he plays with better.

I've always wanted Backlund, but at this point in his contract and at his age you're not getting nice assets in return. I'd consider taking him if you're dumping salary.

Reactions: Cogburn

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Looked like hot garbage tonight. :laugh:

In all seriousness I think he would fit for CBJ. Not a bad return.

If we want Couture we'll just wait for you to buy him out.

That works for CBJ as long as Sam extends. Otherwise too close to UFA.

I actually like this package quite a bit.

I've always wanted Backlund, but at this point in his contract and at his age you're not getting nice assets in return. I'd consider taking him if you're dumping salary.
Why would we buy him out? That’s a dumb comment.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
We're looking to make a culture change and I think that will be Giordano and Backlund as they are the longest tenured Flames. We wouldn't be giving him away, but I know he won't land a first or anything. My thought was more along the line of a 2nd in '22 and 3rd in '21 or comparable prospect kind of thing. Not great assets, but not shit either, because Backlund still plays at a near Selke level and isn't just a mere cap dump.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That would be beyond stupid for Jarmo

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Incorrect. By adding a defensively capable top-6 center, we get a guy who can take on minutes against top players and thus shield folks like Roslovic and Texier and Foudy while they grow and develop. As it is, we have to keep throwing them and Domi to the wolves, and that's just making a bad situation worse.

Have you considered ...Dubois? :sarcasm:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
7.5 million QO

Yikes.

That said, completely expect Laine to get the QO for one year from CBJ. Really hard to tell if this guy cares enough to bounce back or if that one year deal will be his retirement contract so he can live out his years gaming. I wish I was joking, but it wouldn’t be the first time an ultra talented player lost interest (see Jimmy Carson and Alexandre Daimler).
The qualifying offer only matters if he signs it, which he probably won't, he'll negotiate a longer deal at a lower AAV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad