Value of: Laine, off season trade (mod warning OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As a Ducks fan I would be willing to give Sam Steel + 2nd round pick for this CBJ 4th line player

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
i think if the rumors are true that he wants to go to la they would be interested. However I don't see what the kings could offer that i would be ok giving up for him. He does however fit a need the kings have scoring goals.

Reactions: Guitpik

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The qualifying offer only matters if he signs it, which he probably won't, he'll negotiate a longer deal at a lower AAV

Why would he sign a longer offer for lower money while in a flat cap era while coming off a disastrous season? He can sign a 1 year QO @ 7.5mil, bet on himself that he bounces back AND be one year closer to UFA status looking for another contract.

Reactions: RogerRoger

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They’d have to be nuts to try to trade Laine this summer, and I imagine they only do so if they’re forced to by Laine refusing to sign. Laine’s value will be at an all-time low, there’s no way they’d get anything close to what they gave up for him.

IMO, best to sign him for 1 year and hope for a rebound with a new coach.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Why would he sign a longer offer for lower money while in a flat cap era while coming off a disastrous season? He can sign a 1 year QO @ 7.5mil, bet on himself that he bounces back AND be one year closer to UFA status looking for another contract.
Yeah, he has a 1 year 7.5M in his pocket. There really isn't a reason why he would exclusively negotiate a worse deal with CBJ when he can start a bidding war with potentially 32 teams instead of just one.
And if he's going to get a worse deal than 1x7.5M, he'd be wise to go a team he can maximize his offensive potential.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If sam reinhart has no interest in signing a long term deal with buffalo. That's probably gonna be the best deal for the Jackets

Reinhart for laine
You'll have to pardon me for not really trusting Reinhart's recent hot streak.

* * *​
Dylan Holloway, 2021 1st, Caleb Jones, and Zac Kassian for Laine.
I'm fairly sure we'd do that; I'd be surprised if Edmonton did, tho. They seem to have a justifiably high opinion of Holloway up there.

* * *​
Laine AND Roslovic only garnered PLD. In theory, Laine by himself would get a centre that is less capable than PLD.

Is that what you mean by a “top line center”? Don’t ask for more than what you gave up for Laine, especially after Laine’s horrible season.
You're trying to look at this from a "fair market value" standpoint based on prior precedent. That's not going to tell anything about what we would trade him for; it just indicates how likely we are to get what we'd require.

* * *​
I think we should be willing to accept returns other than just centers. It would have to be great value, of course.
Frankly I think getting back the kind of center we need is unlikely enough without going the "if you overwhelm us with value using other pieces" route. About the only other place we could find a significant upgrade is RD - LD and G are more or less settled and W is where we'd try to rehab Laine.

Perhaps we get a great draft pick which can be parlayed into a big center upgrade.
I'm pretty sure I've made my position on "flip it for what you REALLY want" type deals exceedingly clear over the last few years. :)

* * *​
Dylan Strome --ceiling is second line center.

Nakita Zadorov a beast physically and looking for a contract around 3.5-3.75 for three years #4 defenseman RFA.

2022 first round pick top 5 protected. A 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2021.

Patrick Laine to Chicago
I'm honestly not sold on Strome's ability to be the C we need. I'd consider him as a low-cost experimental pickup for playing alongside Laine, but not as the chief asset in his return.

* * *​
Have you considered ...Dubois? :sarcasm:
trouble.gif

* * *​
3rd round pick for a 4th liner seem good?
As a Ducks fan I would be willing to give Sam Steel + 2nd round pick for this CBJ 4th line player
If you want to discuss fourth-liners, you're in the wrong thread. Patrick Laine has never played a game on the fourth line for the Blue Jackets.

* * *​
RNH if he agrees to a trade and sign?
I look at his 5-on-5 production and worry a lot. So I hesitate.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Hey man, this is the top 6 center you wanted
If lumbus got an offer like that they would pretty much have to accept, because that is significantly more than I think most people would offer

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well without a doubt a team WILL take a chance on him. Would love him back in Winnipeg but that ship has kind of sailed unless he's a desperate UFA willing to take a discount.

Hard to say where he ends up but my guess is Colorado.
Why? Colorado doesn’t need Laine. They are the highest scoring team in the NHL and have great defensive metics. There is zero need for a one way player like Laine. Unless we can jettison guys like JTC or Kadri, it makes no sense.

And why would Columbus want those guys. They’d want good players we need a lot more than the Avs need a Laine.

I don’t see any possible deal here than benefits both teams.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Laine + first rounder for Anton Lundell.

Columbus gets a cost controlled future 1C and he is also bonafide captain material.

Florida already seem to have their nr 2 C in Bennett and trading for Laine will be the clincher for signing Barkov long term.

IF Barkov walks Florida are in freefall or the same situation as Columbus untill Lundell has matured into their next nr 1 C.

win win trade for both sides and players IMHO.

I'n willing to bet Laine and Sasha would sign long term at a discount price to be able to chase the cup together in the sunshine state.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hey man, this is the top 6 center you wanted
If lumbus got an offer like that they would pretty much have to accept, because that is significantly more than I think most people would offer
:eyeroll: We don't "have to accept" anything. The idea is that the team has to be improved as a result of the trade.

I'm personally not sure Reinhart would lead to that because I'm not personally convinced he's actually consistently as good as what he's been showing lately. That's not an unqualified "no", that's "I don't believe it myself". If he wouldn't work as the return no matter what for the Jackets (regardless of my assessment), I'd have said that instead. There's a difference between knowing what the requirement is and knowing whether or not someone will fit the requirement, and I make a point of being clear which of those I think applies to a given trade offer, because the former is straightforward while the latter is where mistakes can easily be made (I was hesitant to accept Jones as the #1D we needed in a Joey trade as well, for example; some of the tastiest crow I've ever had). Productive discussions can be had around whether or not folks meet the requirements, but ignoring them altogether is just going to get you stonewalled.

* * *​
Laine + first rounder for Anton Lundell.

Columbus gets a cost controlled future 1C and he is also bonafide captain material.

Florida already seem to have their nr 2 C in Bennett and trading for Laine will be the clincher for signing Barkov long term.

IF Barkov walks Florida are in freefall or the same situation as Columbus untill Lundell has matured into their next nr 1 C.

win win trade for both sides and players IMHO.

I'n willing to bet Laine and Sasha would sign long term at a discount price to be able to chase the cup together in the sunshine state.
Something like that has been generally acceptable to most Jackets fans for a while now. Panthers fans have been objecting on the "need a #2C" basis; I'm not sure if/how Bennett's emergence has changed things.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Would you sell your house at all time low? If answer is no, then you know what Jarmo says. If your answer is yes, then I want your phone number so I can buy your cheap house.

Reactions: Viqsi

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
:eyeroll: We don't "have to accept" anything. The idea is that the team has to be improved as a result of the trade.

Something like that has been generally acceptable to most Jackets fans for a while now. Panthers fans have been objecting on the "need a #2C" basis; I'm not sure if/how Bennett's emergence has changed things.

IMHO the focus of the Florida fans and orginzation should be to keep the leagues's nr 1 center in Barkov.

Sahsa is a better player then Mcjeezus or Maffjuuz IMHO. Both whom are playing night in and night out against some of the leagues worst teams in the North divison Enough of this Mcadvid/Mathews hype!!. Do you think 97 and 34 would put up 100 point season and 40 goals against stingy teams like the Tampa , Islanders, Boston, Washington or Carolina?

Barkov can get anything he wants in one year as a UFA, FLorida need to play their cards right to be able to sign him long term. Barkov will get you a cup in whichever team he plays with neither Mcdavis or Mathews have the 200ft game needed to win a Stanley Cup.

Don't look at it as loosing Lundell look at it as keeping Barkov and adding Laine.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
IMHO the focus of the Florida fans and orginzation should be to keep the leagues's nr 1 center in Barkov.

Sahsa is a better player then Mcjeezus or Maffjuuz IMHO. Both whom are playing night in and night out against some of the leagues worst teams in the North divison Enough of this Mcadvid/Mathews hype!!. Do you think 97 and 34 would put up 100 point season and 40 goals against stingy teams like the Tampa , Islanders, Boston, Washington or Carolina?

Barkov can get anything he wants in one year as a UFA, FLorida need to play their cards right to be able to sign him long term. Barkov will get you a cup in whichever team he plays with neither Mcdavis or Mathews have the 200ft game needed to win a Stanley Cup.

Don't look at it as loosing Lundell look at it as keeping Barkov and adding Laine.
I don't think they're as concerned about potentially losing Barkov (I sure haven't seen any signs he's considering leaving, outside of the daydreams of vultures and opportunists - including a few fans of my team, alas), so I'm not sure that argment would resonate with Panthers fans.
(Also, having been on the receiving end of that kind of nonsense way too damn often lately, I'm not eager to turn it on others.)

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Sahsa is a better player then Mcjeezus or Maffjuuz IMHO. Both whom are playing night in and night out against some of the leagues worst teams in the North divison Enough of this Mcadvid/Mathews hype!!
Let's not get ahead of ourselves...
Barkov is a huge ass mf and is elite af but I think we need to wait for the Panthers to play against Oilers/Leafs again

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021

* * *​

I'm fairly sure we'd do that; I'd be surprised if Edmonton did, tho. They seem to have a justifiably high opinion of Holloway up there.

* * *​

You're trying to look at this from a "fair market value" standpoint based on prior precedent. That's not going to tell anything about what we would trade him for; it just indicates how likely we are to get what we'd require.

* * *​

Frankly I think getting back the kind of center we need is unlikely enough without going the "if you overwhelm us with value using other pieces" route. About the only other place we could find a significant upgrade is RD - LD and G are more or less settled and W is where we'd try to rehab Laine.

I'm pretty sure I've made my position on "flip it for what you REALLY want" type deals exceedingly clear over the last few years. :)

* * *​

I'm honestly not sold on Strome's ability to be the C we need. I'd consider him as a low-cost experimental pickup for playing alongside Laine, but not as the chief asset in his return.

Sure, that makes sense that you wouldn't want Strome as the main piece in a trade.

Did you have a counter offer?
I don't see him returning a player of Dubois level...

I'm curious what you think his value might be. Okay, you don't know. Ha

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sure, that makes sense that you wouldn't want Strome as the main piece in a trade.

Did you have a counter offer?
I don't see him returning a player of Dubois level...

I'm curious what you think his value might be. Okay, you don't know. Ha
There's only one player that comes to mind and I don't want to mention the name because he's overkill and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for the Blackhawks, and those are the sorts of circumstances that can start flamewars. :)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Would you sell your house at all time low? If answer is no, then you know what Jarmo says. If your answer is yes, then I want your phone number so I can buy your cheap house.

Most people's houses won't take them to arbitration and then leave you with nothing in 2 years.

Tough situation for Columbus with Laine's $7.5 million QO. Laine will be their highest paid player next year. He needs to bring it or else it will be a huge distraction.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad