Proposal: Lafreniere for 1st pick Habs 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
These are different tiers of prospect. If they were in the same draft Wright would be the without question #1 just as he is this year. So the question is would Montreal trade a, projected to be, much better prospect for a not as good prospect who’s not shown success as of yet in the NHL. That would be an easy no I imagine.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
These are different tiers of prospect. If they were in the same draft Wright would be the without question #1 just as he is this year. So the question is would Montreal trade a, projected to be, much better prospect for a not as good prospect who’s not shown success as of yet in the NHL. That would be an easy no I imagine.
They want the french guy

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I feel like Lafreniere is getting discredited way to quickly sure he hasn't lived up to the Eichel/Matthews/Kane/Tavares/Stamkos tiers of 1st overall talents but I think its safe to say he is likely going to be a 70-90 pt winger for many years in the league kid just turned 20 like two months ago people need to chill.

From what I have seen of Wright he also isn't going to be one of those 1st overalls thats gonna come in a light up the league he is likely gonna be 20/20 player for his first couple of seasons.
While I totally agree with everything you wrote, I think seeing Raymond lighting it up already just fuels the fire against him. People just need to relax and let him blossom at his own pace.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Wright or even Savoie over Lafreniere

Honestly don't believe laf is worth a top 10 pick at this time.

I'd almost say his value isn't much but IF NYR wanted to move him, I think they would get a nice haul. Obviously rushed but worlds circumstances. Guess they could have started him in the Ahl but they didn't so... certainly not an impact player right now tho

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
ELnJ-UrWkAAD1CQ.jpg

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
While I totally agree with everything you wrote, I think seeing Raymond lighting it up already just fuels the fire against him. People just need to relax and let him blossom at his own pace.
2 very different situations. Laf is basically stuck behind Panarin and Kreider on the left side currently, both guys playing the best hockey of their careers. He gets absolutely no PP time on the first unit, which stays out for 1 min 20-30 seconds. Sometimes more.
He’s not really on the ice with creative guys like Fox/panarin, even strome.
He is coming along fine. Do I wish he had better production numbers? Sure. As of now, I saying he needs to work on his skating a bit. Especially his first 2-3 steps and get some explosion to his skating so he can change of pace better and create more for himself.
He’s already showing he has an A+ filthy wrister that he should be using more, but he thinks the game well and sees the overall big picture on the ice. He already has solid vision and doesn’t mind the rough stuff one bit.
Once his legs catch up to the rest of his body, a lot of people are going to have to eat their words. He’s going to be a very good player in time.
As far as the Raymond issue goes, good for him, truly. I’m glad he’s playing well on the wings and produces points.
But it’s one thing to be on 1st line 1st PP with a bad/ non- playoff squad, and it’s quite another to play a 3rd line role on a gallant coached team in his system playing for the playoffs and beyond.
It really does make me wonder that if some fans would just have the rangers suck and see LaF and kakko getting prime 5v5/1PP minutes putting up around 60 or so points, but always losing games.
Not me, playing with a winning culture, with proven battle tested cup/playoff performers and high end talent will be invaluable to these guys down the line.
Even if LaF isn’t in an ideal role, playing ideal minutes with ideal line mates, He’s still learning a bounce of things and getting solid nhl experience.
Save this post for a year or 2 and get back to me. Cause once LaF fixes his skating and builds more confidence In his game, he’s going to be a very good player for a long time.
His role and minutes will also increase as well, and hopefully he becomes a regular on the 1PP unit, shooting lasers at the goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojans86

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
I think if the habs do get the first overall, they keep it. First because it's your pick rarely do these get traded for another really young and talented guy. Second, the position, habs lost kotkaniemi who was supposed to be a top 6 centers, which MTL needed for a long time... So they'll want to keep the center vs wing. Lastly, I don't think the french argument is as strong right now, simply because of track record lately I think they want to have a competitive team no matter what... plus Gorton probably don't care much either

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Habs haven't drafted 1st overall since 1980 I think, unless it's an insane overpayment Gorton doesn't pick up the phone......

That's if we even get lucky and land 1st overall

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yes. I'll do it. 1st, Laf, Kravtsov for your 1st overall. Don't call us back in 30 days. No return.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
2 very different situations. Laf is basically stuck behind Panarin and Kreider on the left side currently, both guys playing the best hockey of their careers. He gets absolutely no PP time on the first unit, which stays out for 1 min 20-30 seconds. Sometimes more.
He’s not really on the ice with creative guys like Fox/panarin, even strome.
He is coming along fine. Do I wish he had better production numbers? Sure. As of now, I saying he needs to work on his skating a bit. Especially his first 2-3 steps and get some explosion to his skating so he can change of pace better and create more for himself.
He’s already showing he has an A+ filthy wrister that he should be using more, but he thinks the game well and sees the overall big picture on the ice. He already has solid vision and doesn’t mind the rough stuff one bit.
Once his legs catch up to the rest of his body, a lot of people are going to have to eat their words. He’s going to be a very good player in time.
As far as the Raymond issue goes, good for him, truly. I’m glad he’s playing well on the wings and produces points.
But it’s one thing to be on 1st line 1st PP with a bad/ non- playoff squad, and it’s quite another to play a 3rd line role on a gallant coached team in his system playing for the playoffs and beyond.
It really does make me wonder that if some fans would just have the rangers suck and see LaF and kakko getting prime 5v5/1PP minutes putting up around 60 or so points, but always losing games.
Not me, playing with a winning culture, with proven battle tested cup/playoff performers and high end talent will be invaluable to these guys down the line.
Even if LaF isn’t in an ideal role, playing ideal minutes with ideal line mates, He’s still learning a bounce of things and getting solid nhl experience.
Save this post for a year or 2 and get back to me. Cause once LaF fixes his skating and builds more confidence In his game, he’s going to be a very good player for a long time.
His role and minutes will also increase as well, and hopefully he becomes a regular on the 1PP unit, shooting lasers at the goal.

That’s the big fear really though, fixing his skating. The draft is littered with high picks who never could and just fizzled, even 1OA. Whether he can make that big improvement or not really is what will determine if he’s a franchise winger or just a pretty good top 6 player. Skating issues are always the biggest wildcard and you can never tell which guys can improve and which are simply as good as it gets.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That’s the big fear really though, fixing his skating. The draft is littered with high picks who never could and just fizzled, even 1OA. Whether he can make that big improvement or not really is what will determine if he’s a franchise winger or just a pretty good top 6 player. Skating issues are always the biggest wildcard and you can never tell which guys can improve and which are simply as good as it gets.

not too concerned. It was kakkos biggest issue his 1st year as well. He progressively got better each season as well.
Running steps, wall sits, etc he really dedicated himself to it and by his 3rd year his skating is night and day compared to his 1st/2nd.
I’d be far more concerned if LaF didn’t possess the things that were very hard to or can’t teach.
The stuff that’s very good players are born with. He has high IQ, above average vision, thinks the game well, is physically gifted, has no problem with hitting or throwing his body around, ( at 20 against men is a really good sign btw) his wrist/snap shot is elite, very hard and accurate. Etc
It’s just mainly about getting his legs/lower half stronger and keep his feet moving. If he corrects that, he’s going to make more space/chances for himself to use the other tools he already has.

I’m far more Sure of LaF being a top producer ( once he trains his lower half and gets a bigger opportunity and more minutes) then I am of Kakko.
and kakko is finally just starting to scratch the surface of his offense. The poor kid is finally getting a break with his puck luck after the 1st 10 games of the year.
He’s been playing well since camp, just snake bit in the points department.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad