Proposal: Lafreniere for 1st pick Habs 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
No way would the Canadiens give up a potential franchise center for a struggling winger prospect who had a lower ceiling in the first place.
Maybe for 2nd overall pick if the Habs aren't sold on Savoie.
But once you get to the third overall pick, I no longer think the Rangers have any incentive to make the trade.
We need high caliber centres . Period. I’d draft the best center available assuming we stay where we are

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
A trade is possible here but it’s so hard to pass up a center for a winger therefore I’d expect a Rangers overpayment

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
Why trade a new lottery ticket for another that has the first box scratched and it’s not a winner.

Reactions: Deam78

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Well the whole world thinks because Laf isnt lighting it up yet after 80 NHL that he is a bust, so obviously everyone is going to say Rangers will need to add in Fox and 3 1sts as well.
I would not trade Wright for a badly developing Laf.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Honestly, if Lafreniere is indeed struggling (haven't watched a single game of his so I don't know) then Montreal would be an absolute catastrophe for him. The expectations for him would be absolutely unrealistic, astronomical and frankly unfair. There's no way that would be a good development environment for him in the slightest. The pressure would be...out of this world.

Reactions: BSHH and vokiel

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
In this day and age, if in doubt, go with the Ontario developed player. Better more competitive league with a fantastic track record

member 334057

No one has traded a 1st overall pick since the 2003 season, and even then the Panthers who traded it only moved down to the 3rd overall pick. The current NHL seems to value those picks a lot more than they did in the 90's and early 2000's. Can't see Montreal moving that pick for anything other than a player who is already showing they can be someone you can build around (Seider, Raymond) and those are players who aren't getting traded.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Fan never change or learn . Puljujarvi was a bust now we have had 2 threads in a month . One to offer sheet Puljujarvi and one can the Oilers afford to keep him . For a so called bust seems like a lot of teams would like to have him or at least their fan would .

What fans should of leant ! Laf is from from a bust , He was in the NHL as an 18 year old when most of the fans are still living with their mommy and daddy . Ask yourself were you the best version of yourself at 18-20 at work or did you have room to learn and grow ? I know when I was young I thought I knew everything . Now I am older I realize I know shit so fans need to stop talking in absolutes because they know very little and know nothing about the future .

True. On the note about Puljujarvi, I'll say that I sympathize for any GM responsible for deciding whether or not to keep them, since ultimately the draft is a crapshoot (people are ready to forget that even top-10 picks have yielded Virtanen/ Yakupov/ Patrick/ Juolevi/ Dal Colle/ Cody Glass/ [insert "bust" prospect here]). Though I would side with those saying keep the 1st round pick in OP, I don't think it's so immediately obvious that the pick from this year would yield a better player than Lafreniere, or vice versa.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Neutral fan here.

I don't see Lafreniere holding that kind of value at this time. He is still developing and while Montreal loves it's french players, the opportunity to draft Wright is much more valuable to the franchise. Their positions are also important factors. How does a team with Suzuki and Wright down the middle for years to come look to Habs fans? Better than adding a winger I'd say.

Just my opinion.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Um, the person who created this thread, for one. And here's another:

Proposal: - Habs & Rangers

There were a lot more Habs fans who wanted him last year. Many of them may not want him now, but most of those threads wouldn't exist if Laf wasn't French Canadian.
Where's that 1st rd pick ?
Like i said only 1 Hab fan is willing to give up the 1st OA this season for Laf. Everyone else takes the pick including Ranger fans.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think it’s more likely if Montreal picks 2-5

Yeah, agreed. The 2 yr age gap and the fact that Laf is at least 2yrs closer to a non-ELC/UFA are significant factors given that Wright is arguably a Lafreniere-level prospect in his own right. Given that Laf hasn't found his stride at the NHL level yet, there's not a ton of incentive for the Habs assuming they end up with 1OV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad