Proposal: Lafreniere for 1st pick Habs 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
I don't see the Rangers trade Lafrenière but if they want to trade it for sure they will not trade him in Eastern conference. It's too dangerous to be hunted by Lafrenière in playoff. But For sure Montréal will ask the price if is on market. The rangers probably want players who play in nhl than draft pick.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
every situation different, but this ^ is reasonable.

LaF projected as best 1OA other than generational level to emerge since MacKinnon.
That was a substantial consensus. Not many other for 1OA that yr.

@jay from jersey had a post where he gave great breakdown. Last thing kid has to have catch up to NHL level is his legs/skating, which continues to slowly emerge. Slow but looking sure and steady at this pt.

Other factor is line.
I called LaF-Chytil-Gauthier a yr ago.
was right.
While scoring could be more, they outplay op almost every shift.

Deal Strome who we can't afford next season for high picks
give mo mins to Chytil + his line incl LaF
bottom 6 mins to Barron

Yeah thats not true at all bern.
Atleast it was not a substantial consensus. I myself for example would have picked Byfield over Laf quite easily and was debating Stützle as well. I realize that I was in the minority in that regard but it also wasn't quite the slamdunk like you make it out to be.

Laf looked like he could be one of the better winger in this league but nobody was really talking Ovechkin, Kane or Kucherov level or atleast nobody really expected him to be that good and if you are a winger, that would have to be the level needed to get projected as highly as you make it out to be.

Most people expected Laf to go #1 but he was far from the best #1 since MacKinnon. That would be Matthews (if you discount McDavid) or Dahlin (who had somewhat generational hype but if you exclude him as well, there are not many other #1 left).
I also personally think that Hughes was higher regarded due to position value and because people loved his potential more than Laf but that is certainly up for debate (and the consensus might even skew towards Laf although it would be close IMO).

Laf was certainly hyped quite a bit (especially by certain people) but so were most of the #1s aside from Hischier.

The one thing people (myself included) expected out of Laf was instant impact (rather than sky high potential that could be realized a few years later). 70 points right off the bat basically. Atleast a MacKinnon level 60 point rookie season from one of (if not) the most NHL ready (and oldest) #1 we have seen recently.
He has fallen specatcularly short in that regard.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Atleast it was not a substantial consensus. I myself for example would have picked Byfield over Laf quite easily and was debating Stützle as well. I realize that I was in the minority in that regard but it also wasn't quite the slamdunk like you make it out to be.

Laf looked like he could be one of the better winger in this league but nobody was really talking Ovechkin, Kane or Kucherov level or atleast nobody really expected him to be that good and if you are a winger, that would have to be the level needed to get projected as highly as you make it out to be.

Most people expected Laf to go #1 but he was far from the best #1 since MacKinnon. That would be Matthews (if you discount McDavid) or Dahlin (who had somewhat generational hype but if you exclude him as well, there are not many other #1 left).
I also personally think that Hughes was higher regarded due to position value and because people loved his potential more than Laf but that is certainly up for debate (and the consensus might even skew towards Laf although it would be close IMO).

Laf was certainly hyped quite a bit (especially by certain people) but so were most of the #1s aside from Hischier.

The one thing people (myself included) expected out of Laf was instant impact (rather than sky high potential that could be realized a few years later). 70 points right off the bat basically. Atleast a MacKinnon level 60 point rookie season from one of (if not) the most NHL ready (and oldest) #1 we have seen recently.
How can you discount mcdavid?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
How can you discount mcdavid?

Because bern wrote something about other than generational talent which McDavid is and Dahlin was arguably hyped up to be.

But even if Lafreniere was considered the consensus #1 pick (which he was in most of the draft media but not close to as unanimous here on hfboards), he was IMO never hyped the way Matthews and Dahlin were and arguably on a similar level as Hughes.
Which leaves only Ekblad and Hischier that he had beat when it comes how he was viewed as a prospect. Certainly far from the level that bern is talking about IMO.

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see the Rangers trade Lafrenière but if they want to trade it for sure they will not trade him in Eastern conference. It's too dangerous to be hunted by Lafrenière in playoff. But For sure Montréal will ask the price if is on market. The rangers probably want players who play in nhl than draft pick.

That works two ways. The pick could also haunt the Habs.

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because bern wrote something about other than generational talent which McDavid is and Dahlin was arguably hyped up to be.

But even if Lafreniere was considered the consensus #1 pick (which he was in most of the draft media but not close to as unanimous here on hfboards), he was IMO never hyped the way Matthews and Dahlin were and arguably on a similar level as Hughes.
Which leaves only Ekblad and Hischier that he had beat when it comes how he was viewed as a prospect. Certainly far from the level that bern is talking about IMO.

Personally, I think all of Dahlin, Hughes, Lafreniere, were hyped close to the same. With Lafreniere, I had his potential ceiling like Huberdeau but people jumped me for saying that.

It's just your typical yearly emotional attachment to who that player "could" be. Fans tend to peg them as a hit before they are a hit. Even the #1OA picks.

I see this draft year similar to the 2017 NHL draft. It's very possible that someone from 3-5 becomes better than 1 and 2.

Reactions: Moses2020

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
That works two ways. The pick could also haunt the Habs.
You got it right but Probably the Rangers wants to add a player for the playoff and not need to wait 1 to 3 years to see the trade results.
Rangers are more in a contender mode than a rebuild mode that's why I think if Lafrenière is traded it will be for a good foward and a pick.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You got it right but Probably the Rangers wants to add a player for the playoff and not need to wait 1 to 3 years to see the trade results.
Rangers are more in a contender mode than a rebuild mode that's why I think if Lafrenière is traded it will be for a good foward and a pick.
In which we can't supply.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's not a horrible offer. Broken down it's like this (see below). I think that needs to be discussed further and a lot comes down to what other offers we are getting for Chiarot. Many Habs fans are not giving much value to Kravstov at this stage and would rather picks if we trade Chiarot. I think it slightly favors the Rangers cause our pick could end up being the best of the bunch (maybe). If you don't want to go deeper, Habs likely decline but with respect to your attempt

Chiarot for Kravstov

Lafreniere
for
Habs top 10 pick (whatever it is) and rights to Harris

no need for Chariot

as to Krav, they should have listened to bern
and given him not only legit shot, but crack at C.

But what's done is done.
Howev,
best situation, Jude, is to take a sad song and make it better
not worse

ergo,
create roster space + mins and have all ready for Krav return
wanna see what he has
not give away potential
no need to go there
not anytime soon

ps kid was scoring well in the K last time I heard...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

How fast he has emerged is something else, obv, that I concede but as noted seems it is just a matter of getting NHL level legs, rest of game seems sufficiently there.

As to the other, there was a quote to that effect and I believe I more than basically represented more than the gist of it. Howev, if I am in error, to that extent I will retract.
Recall specifically excluding generational and since MacKinnon.

\feel free to dig it up.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Personally, I think all of Dahlin, Hughes, Lafreniere, were hyped close to the same. With Lafreniere, I had his potential ceiling like Huberdeau but people jumped me for saying that.

It's just your typical yearly emotional attachment to who that player "could" be. Fans tend to peg them as a hit before they are a hit. Even the #1OA picks. Before most drafts they pump up the picks to make it sound more competitive when we usually

I see this draft year similar to the 2017 NHL draft. It's very possible that someone from 3-5 becomes better than 1 and 2.

I agree with this. Lafreniere was the slam dunk top pick for a couple years leading up to the draft. That’s not to say someone picked after him can’t surpass him though. That’s yet to be seen. The hype was real though. Before mist drafts they try to make it sound more competitive leading up to the draft to try and garner more interest. There was never any real doubt who was going 1.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Personally, I don't think the Rangers are going to trade Lafreniere

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I'm not quite sure if putting a "struggling" young player in the Montreal spotlight as their next French superstar and saviour is a good idea, for Lafreniere or anyone.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not quite sure if putting a "struggling" young player in the Montreal spotlight as their next French superstar and saviour is a good idea, for Lafreniere or anyone.

It's a good point. Imagine the devalue and focus on Lafreniere if we won the draft lottery and drafted him? His value would be trashed on HF boards more than what you see in this thread. Multiply that by at least 10. If Lafreniere was disappointing like this with the Habs, Fans would be all over him in Montreal. And then some people blame management for development. Well, hate to break it to some, but fans and media are part of the development problem due to the focus and obsession we have on Hockey.

I'm a huge Habs fans but our herd is guilty at both ends. We pump up guys when they do well and we are obsessive with guys that struggle. Nothing in the middle with us and we are our own worse enemy. A guy like Norlinder prefers to go back home and play hockey in piece without a microscope on him or black clouds following him around waiting for his next mistake.

Look at Suzuki. I think he is a fringe 1C and a really good 2C but I would say at least half our fan base thinks he is a legit 1C cause it's the best we have. Other fan bases are guilty of this too but we are over the top at times.

Reactions: HabsAddict

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

This isn't true.

He was highly hyped, much more than Hughes. In his rookie season he scored 42 goals in 60 games, the highest goal total for a rookie since Sidney Crosby. He won the CHL player of the year for the two years in a row. He was the world junior mvp in his draft year. His numbers were comparable (slightly less good) to McDavid in junior.

You're opinion doesn't mean Lafreniere wasn't hyped as the next best thing. Numerous article were saying he was the next best thing, potential franchise player, with lots of comparaison with Crosby or Kucherov:
NHL Draft 2020: Why Alexis Lafreniere is the consensus top overall pick
What The Rangers Are (Probably) Getting in Alexis Lafreniere
Prospect of Interest: What makes top-ranked Alexis Lafreniere so special - Sportsnet.ca
https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/08/12/setting-expectations-for-2020-nhl-draft-top-players/

And in thread on hfboards there was a lot of comparaison with generational talent.
Alexis Lafreniere - is he the 2nd best prospect since Crosby? (majority ranking him third best since crosby)

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This isn't true.

He was highly hyped, much more than Hughes. In his rookie season he scored 42 goals in 60 games, the highest goal total for a rookie since Sidney Crosby. He won the CHL player of the year for the two years in a row. He was the world junior mvp in his draft year. His numbers were comparable (slightly less good) to McDavid in junior.

You're opinion doesn't mean Lafreniere wasn't hyped as the next best thing. Numerous article were saying he was the next best thing, potential franchise player, with lots of comparaison with Crosby or Kucherov:
NHL Draft 2020: Why Alexis Lafreniere is the consensus top overall pick
What The Rangers Are (Probably) Getting in Alexis Lafreniere
Prospect of Interest: What makes top-ranked Alexis Lafreniere so special - Sportsnet.ca
https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/08/12/setting-expectations-for-2020-nhl-draft-top-players/

And in thread on hfboards there was a lot of comparaison with generational talent.
Alexis Lafreniere - is he the 2nd best prospect since Crosby? (majority ranking him third best since crosby)

Thank you.
I rest my case and stand
uncorrected

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is no way the Habs trade 1st overall...but maybe they trade 2nd or 3rd overall.

This would really depend on how much the rangers value the second adn third picks. Given Gorton's connection with that organization, I would never say never.

Will Laffy be a good one? Meaning 50 pointer? For sure. But 70-80 pointer? That's a maybe at this point. He's got "potential" to get there, but this depends on him to show another level at the NHL. So far, not there...

Which means that there is potential for a trade IF the Rangers think that those prospects are more likely.

On the other hand, as a fan, I'm worried that we may get Drouin 2 more then Lafleur Lite.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a good point. Imagine the devalue and focus on Lafreniere if we won the draft lottery and drafted him? His value would be trashed on HF boards more than what you see in this thread. Multiply that by at least 10. If Lafreniere was disappointing like this with the Habs, Fans would be all over him in Montreal. And then some people blame management for development. Well, hate to break it to some, but fans and media are part of the development problem due to the focus and obsession we have on Hockey.

I'm a huge Habs fans but our herd is guilty at both ends. We pump up guys when they do well and we are obsessive with guys that struggle. Nothing in the middle with us and we are our own worse enemy. A guy like Norlinder prefers to go back home and play hockey in piece without a microscope on him or black clouds following him around waiting for his next mistake.

Look at Suzuki. I think he is a fringe 1C and a really good 2C but I would say at least half our fan base thinks he is a legit 1C cause it's the best we have. Other fan bases are guilty of this too but we are over the top at times.

Note the word...FANatic. Which is exercised very well in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad