Proposal: Lafreniere for 1st pick Habs 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Let's say the Habs gets the 5OV + Caufield ,, would this work ?
I mean Rangers could get Jiricek or Cooley

Reactions: Ola

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Multiple players from the 2020 draft are outperforming laff. If you watch any rangers game he looks nothing like a 1st overall pick. Would consider ponying up a mid to late 1st for him but nothing more at this point.

Mid-late/first? Please name even 10 players with more value from the 2020 draft. That would be the minimum that satisfies your statement.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wright or even Savoie over Lafreniere

Honestly don't believe laf is worth a top 10 pick at this time.

I'd almost say his value isn't much but IF NYR wanted to move him, I think they would get a nice haul. Obviously rushed but worlds circumstances. Guess they could have started him in the Ahl but they didn't so... certainly not an impact player right now tho

Name ten 2020 draftees with more value.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This isn't true.

He was highly hyped, much more than Hughes. In his rookie season he scored 42 goals in 60 games, the highest goal total for a rookie since Sidney Crosby. He won the CHL player of the year for the two years in a row. He was the world junior mvp in his draft year. His numbers were comparable (slightly less good) to McDavid in junior.

You're opinion doesn't mean Lafreniere wasn't hyped as the next best thing. Numerous article were saying he was the next best thing, potential franchise player, with lots of comparaison with Crosby or Kucherov:
NHL Draft 2020: Why Alexis Lafreniere is the consensus top overall pick
What The Rangers Are (Probably) Getting in Alexis Lafreniere
Prospect of Interest: What makes top-ranked Alexis Lafreniere so special - Sportsnet.ca
https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/08/12/setting-expectations-for-2020-nhl-draft-top-players/

And in thread on hfboards there was a lot of comparaison with generational talent.
Alexis Lafreniere - is he the 2nd best prospect since Crosby? (majority ranking him third best since crosby)
That thread was so delusional it's hilarious to look back on. It was right post WJC and dramatically overvalued him. Anyone who thought he'd go above Tavares, Matthews, Eichel, and Stamkos was deluding themselves after the WJC. Likely in the case of Dahlin too. But, this site is built on next must be better. And, I said essentially the same in that thread. He wasn't clearly above guys like Hall, Hedman, Doughty, MacKinnon, and Seguin. If it wasn't for size (and how prospects are valued now) Kane would likely be ahead (he's changed evaluations for undersized guys).

Also, QMJHL scoring isn't comparable to OHL. In pretty much all-league adjustment formula's projecting them to the next level OHL is valued around 1.10 points and the Q at .95. His numbers weren't particularly close to McDavid either, when you factor in McDavid at 17 put up 2.5ppg in a league that projects better to the NHL to Lafreniere's 1.72.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let’s call this situation for what it is. The overwhelming majority of people criticizing Lafreniere don’t watch him play with any regularity. They look at a box score, and that’s the extent of their knowledge. Is the guy lighting it up? No, but he also isn’t doing as bad as the box score watchers claim.

He plays 13 minutes a game. His ice time is down from last season. He plays so little because our top two LW take up a lot of the minutes and our coach overplays the fourth line. He also has been remarkably unlucky to not have scored a PP point in his career. His PP numbers aren’t even that bad in underlying metrics. He just has had ridiculously bad luck in accumulating PP points. This will correct itself at some point.

His line mates this season have the first and second worst on ice SH% this season on the team, and he’s not much better at 6th. All the guys around them in those stats are the grinders that you’d expect to struggle to finish chances. If any of these areas, PP, ES, or TOI normalized a little, his numbers would be right in line with all the other young players who’ve struggled to make a huge jump right away. His stats look bad because he’s gotten just about everything going against him in these categories.

We didn’t ask for this thread and we don’t ask for all this nonsense criticism from people who have no idea how he’s played in the NHL. We will be gladly keep Lafreniere, and he will prove these box score watchers wrong.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I was also thinking about something like this. I haven't looked much at this upcoming draft, but say a 2-5 pick and Caufield.

Why? I really like Caufield. I am not very down on Lafreniere. The kid is a special talent and is great every time he gets the puck with open ice. But the Rangers has screwed up his development. Very little PP time. He should have been moved to center Day 1 too.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I was also thinking about something like this. I haven't looked much at this upcoming draft, but say a 2-5 pick and Caufield.

Why? I really like Caufield. I am not very down on Lafreniere. The kid is a special talent and is great every time he gets the puck with open ice. But the Rangers has screwed up his development. Very little PP time. He should have been moved to center Day 1 too.
No thank you Laff isnt worth top 5 pick + Caufield

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wouldn't do that if I want Montreal. I would roll the dice with the 1-5OV, however it shakes out, over Lafreniere.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

2nd OA and Caufield for Laf.. Now that's a Laf. :eek:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No, it would not work. Rangers can't wait on a 5th overall right now if they're trading away Laf. So, I guess it comes down to how impactful do you think Caulfield will or can be? That piece is the important part if Rangers are waiting on a pick.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
No, it would not work. Rangers can't wait on a 5th overall right now if they're trading away Laf. So, I guess it comes down to how impactful do you think Caulfield will or can be? That piece is the important part if Rangers are waiting on a pick.
No worry. The Habs would never do that trade. Laff does not worth a top 5 pick + Caufield.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No worry. The Habs would never do that trade. Laff does not worth a top 5 pick + Caufield.
Why do we care if the Habs would do it? The original ask was if something like that would work. Most likely not for the reasons I posted. Whether Montreal fans are interested or not is pretty irrelevant and doesn't change why NYR should or shouldn't make the trade. So, congrats that you wanted to get the smirky "Habs would never do it" post it in.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
As someone who does not follow the Rangers or Habs, here is how I see it:

Rangers -> know Laff’s real value and still feel he’s worth a Top Puck status.

Habs -> see someone who could be the face of the franchise and potentially acquired at a value less than a 1 OV pick.

The real issue is Laff’s ability to develop. As a LW, he’s clearly stuck behind Panera Bread and Krieder.

Essentially, 3rd line minutes with 3rd line players.

Question is: will that change anytime soon? Obviously part of it is up to Laff to push for a move up the lineup but with limited minutes, that’s tough to do.

So you end up is this weird predicament.

If I’m the Rangers, I keep him.

If I’m the Habs, I keep the puck regardless of where it ends up.

Crow52

Jan 8, 2020
I would probably give up Caufield even though I find Caufield will be a better scorer than Laf, I am basing it on the size of the player but still skeptical on the pressure Laf would get in Mtl.... 50/50 on the trade

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I personally take Wright.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I would probably give up Caufield even though I find Caufield will be a better scorer than Laf, I am basing it on the size of the player but still skeptical on the pressure Laf would get in Mtl.... 50/50 on the trade

Ya maybe 1 for 1 with a small add from the Habs but the Habs have no interest in adding a top 5 OA pick in the deal.
That would be ridiculous for the Habs.

Reactions: HabsForHire

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Let’s call this situation for what it is. The overwhelming majority of people criticizing Lafreniere don’t watch him play with any regularity. They look at a box score, and that’s the extent of their knowledge. Is the guy lighting it up? No, but he also isn’t doing as bad as the box score watchers claim.

He plays 13 minutes a game. His ice time is down from last season. He plays so little because our top two LW take up a lot of the minutes and our coach overplays the fourth line. He also has been remarkably unlucky to not have scored a PP point in his career. His PP numbers aren’t even that bad in underlying metrics. He just has had ridiculously bad luck in accumulating PP points. This will correct itself at some point.

His line mates this season have the first and second worst on ice SH% this season on the team, and he’s not much better at 6th. All the guys around them in those stats are the grinders that you’d expect to struggle to finish chances. If any of these areas, PP, ES, or TOI normalized a little, his numbers would be right in line with all the other young players who’ve struggled to make a huge jump right away. His stats look bad because he’s gotten just about everything going against him in these categories.

We didn’t ask for this thread and we don’t ask for all this nonsense criticism from people who have no idea how he’s played in the NHL. We will be gladly keep Lafreniere, and he will prove these box score watchers wrong.

Look your argument is: everyone else just stat watches, BUT these stats prove he isn't as bad as people think.

It's true most people stat watch and that's their argument, but you'd be hard pressed to find a non-Rangers fan who regularly watches Lafreniere that holds him in a positive light.

Unfortunately, he doesn't look good out there. That's fine, because players can turn it around; just look at Troy Terry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad