Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don’t think any of three defected players are going to play in the OHL this season and there are likely not many teams willing to tie up assets (conditional draft picks) to trade for them because the chance of them signing them are slim.
Whether they play or not, their rights will be traded. The return might be very minimal if they are not reporting.

Micheal Hage type deal. Maybe even less.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Whether they play or not, their rights will be traded. The return might be very minimal if they are not reporting.

They would likely be similar to the William Moore trade last year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
They would likely be similar to the William Moore trade last year.
William Moore had already played half a season elsewhere and was already not coming. The Hunters traded his rights at that point because they 100% know he’ll never come - hence the very low return.

If and when these three are moved in the next two weeks, teams will give up a little more if for no other reason than the right to talk to them to try to convince them to come this year or next. Especially if they have an excess of picks.

For Valentini and Malhotra, you may see Hage return. For Cali, maybe half that. All picks distant.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

Here's a question. Could a team with a defective player offer a draft pick to recoup their first if no other team is willing to bite. For example the defective player plus a 4th for a 7th. Much like a salary dump truck in the NHL to recoup cap space only this time you're recovering your first.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
pretty sure teams can declare a player defective; then if not traded, the player is available in the next years draft.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
pretty sure teams can declare a player defective; then if not traded, the player is available in the next years draft.
I think that is a possibility. I don’t think however it has been done under the current rules. The Petes did it under the old rules with Aaron Molnar in 1998. They released him prior to the 1999 draft and received a 2nd as compensation. He went back into the draft and was redrafted by Plymouth.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Cam Fowler was drafted in 1st round. Rangers gave up his rights I’m pretty sure a year later and got a 2nd for doing so. Next draft he goes 17th overall and signs with Windsor.
The only reason the Rangers gave up Fowler’s rights was because DeBoer needed that comp 2nd to close the Tregunna deal.

Otherwise, we may have seen his rights traded, for more than a 2nd, after the 07-08 season.

I think that is a possibility. I don’t think however it has been done under the current rules. The Petes did it under the old rules with Aaron Molnar in 1998. They released him prior to the 1999 draft and received a 2nd as compensation. He went back into the draft and was redrafted by Plymouth.
It’s possible but I don’t think we’ll ever see it happen. For a 1st round pick, it’s worth at least something to a team to hold his rights. Any team.

For example: Sudbury traded a 4th along with conditional 2nd, 3rd, 4th for the rights to Micheal Hage with likely a good idea he was questionable to report to the OHL and maybe a long shot to report to Sudbury. But, it was worth it for them to give up a 4th round pick to hold his rights. Because should he ever decide to want to play in the OHL, but not Sudbury, the Wolves could at least trade his rights to the team of his choice for value.

That’s sort of what happened when the Rangers traded for defected player Jacob Tortora. It was worth it to them to give up a 15th to hold his rights and 3x2nds should he ever report.

The Rangers were able to eventually trade his rights for significant value (as you can see in the below article) once he chose to report to the OHL but only to the team of his choice.

As the article points out, the Rangers got conditional 2nd, 2nd, 3rd for his rights PLUS the three conditional 2nds back from the original deal.

So at the end of the day, it cost the Rangers a 15th rounder and a couple years of having those three 2nds frozen for the return they got for sending Tortora to Barrie.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Anstis is out for 3 months while stark is day to day-JB
Broken clavicle (collarbone) I see. So we hopefully see him in December. JB also says that Rangers still hold their rights for Malboeuf even though he's "reassigned" which we were told was "released".

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
He will be just fine as an OA when Parsons and Swick are traded. He can mentor Edwards (would have to think he gets the back up spot) for the future. I’m really glad to hear he wasn’t just released meaning Parsons can still be traded and we have a good enough vet goalie to help out.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Is there still a surplus of OA goalies on the market? What is the status of Collin MacKenzie in Ottawa for instance ? He had somewhat similar numbers as Parsons.

Not sure how easy it will be to peddle Parsons in the near term, but of course if you get the right team with interest in him, then anything is possible.

Reactions: rangersblues

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Whole market is likely oversaturated with players after camp. Post deadline I think Swick will be the only OA moved for value (out of the 3).

Parson’s has only had one full/healthy season. Which may impact his value unless he has an elite first half or some OA’s have a tough start/ injury’s around the league.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Whole market is likely oversaturated with players after camp. Post deadline I think Swick will be the only OA moved for value (out of the 3).

Parson’s has only had one full/healthy season. Which may impact his value unless he has an elite first half or some OA’s have a tough start/ injury’s around the league.
Based on the returns that high end OA goalies with significant resumes have brought in the recent past, Parsons holds little in market value on the trade market.

I am supposing MM is hoping for a minor miracle getting anything significant for him if that’s the reason why he hasn’t outright released Malboeuf.

But for me at this point, MM will believe that it’s more valuable to the Rangers keeping Parsons than trading him for peanuts. Having a solid OA goaltender in a rebuilding year helps keep our very young defence at least in games much same way Parker VanBuskirk did in 08–09.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Would take magic. Of the 17 players who have been traded in Aug/Sept window because they were a defected 1st rounder, this is the lowest pick return for them (tied with the Michael Hage trade from KIT to SBY)

i cant promise but i think this dates back to the draft. the overall deal will end up being valentini and 7 picks for rehkomp, but i dont know this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad