GDT: Prospect camp / GDT -- Camp opens 09/11 -- Games 09/14 and 09/15 against Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Knies, McMann, Jarnkrok, and maybe Domi...you still have Dewar, Robertson, Holmberg (c)
Now Pacority, so you think Berube will trust Cowan to play 16 min minimum.
You have 2 apparently very good and responsible centres in Minten and Quillian, who will not see the light of day unless Kampf is traded, and Tre would fear that.
For the first time in 8 years we have a few (3) young players who could take the big step, but it appears they will not be allowed.
We also have 3 goalies...one needs to be traded. If they keep 3 it is cap hell again. Who? Woll better look sharp or he may be odd man out to vet coach.
Although I agree with you that our rookies will be in tough to make the team I don’t think it’s because of a vet mentality by Berube. Berube used rookie 19 year old Robert Thomas just fine on St. Louis’s cup run. I don’t think Berube had any problems using young players who deserved it.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Does it come down to whether Minten s better than Kampala r does it come down to whether the Leafs are better with Minten and 1.5M in cap space spent elsewhere than they are with Kampf?

exemple if toronto take a risk right now and trade kampf to give all the space to Minten. But aftwr 20 game, we finally see than Minten is not ready and need time in AHL... What do you think will happen? leafs gonna need to overpay at TDL to repair their mistake.

Leafs are pretty thin in their depht at C, they are not in position to move Kampf

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

LeafsGuy16

LeafsGuy16
Sep 4, 2018
The one big thing I'll agree here is on Hirvonen. Last year was a rough one where he almost lost his eye apparently. But I hope he can somehow find another level at this level. A couple rookie tournament games isn't the best to do an evaluation but it would be nice to see him shine against some low level competition.

Niemela is a step above everyone defensively on that team. Chadwick was pretty good overall, I thought he did well. Webber is exactly who he is but will need a lot of time. I thought McCleary got active and was fun to watch, he reminded me of Dermott.
I agree on Hirvonen. He’s had a tough go. I’m certainly hoping for the best. My concern is that he never had any stand out skill to begin with, and is looking more and more vanilla every time I see him. Currently projecting as an AHL forward with AAAA upside.

Reactions: SprDaVE

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Although I agree with you that our rookies will be in tough to make the team I don’t think it’s because of a vet mentality by Berube. Berube used rookie 19 year old Robert Thomas just fine on St. Louis’s cup run. I don’t think Berube had any problems using young players who deserved it.
1726412658618.png

Yes, Berube played rookie Robert Thomas for 21 of 26 games in the playoffs, even though he only scored 1 goal and 5 assists. He wasn't physical and didn't put up points.

Perhaps people should give their heads a shake?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree on Hirvonen. He’s had a tough go. I’m certainly hoping for the best. My concern is that he never had any stand out skill to begin with, and is looking more and more vanilla every time I see him. Currently projecting as an AHL forward with AAAA upside.

He reminds me a lot of the Alex Kerfoot skills package. Compact guy and everything looks pretty refined, bright, alert hockey mind but nothing standout.

LeafsGuy16

LeafsGuy16
Sep 4, 2018
He reminds me a lot of the Alex Kerfoot skills package. Compact guy and everything looks pretty refined, bright, alert hockey mind but nothing standout.
I agree with the style, the notable difference imo is skating. Kerfoot was/is a great skater. Far better first step and acceleration than I see in Hirvonen. For my money, Holmberg is the new Kerfoot, Hirvonen will need to improve quite a bit to get there.

Reactions: SprDaVE and ULF_55

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Who do they replace for 10 games. Robertson, Kampf trade, McMann, cap problems don't help without moving money.
Quinllian is a potential being more mature.
I would love to see them make it and make a difference. But this GM and coach are vets happy. Got to have the old bs line of trust off the puck. Pacority is the new Spezza, squealing to the GM.
Tre, like in Calgary believes in vets, thus we have Berube, and 3rd and 4th lines filled with vets.
We have terrible coaching at Marlies who have sent McMann up, who else?
From the current forward group?
Nylander, Robertson, Homberg, McMann. Zach Hyman was another, Trevor Moore.
Berube’s Stanley Cup team had a good sprinkling of kids, so let’s hope that trend continues.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In a pinch Leafs have these players who can line up at center:

Matthews
Tavares
Domi
Kampf
Holmberg
Jarnkrok
Dewar
Nylander

If they have to they can dip into the Marlies for a center.
Marlies have any players under a NHL contract who play center?

Found it interesting Kerfoot - Holmberg below:

In 91 games Holmberg took more face-offs than Kerfoot (164 games) since the 2021-2022 season.
So perhaps Holmberg could be a short-term option.

1726415708562.png

Moving Kampf would create an adjustment period ... maybe the Leafs miss the playoffs and he proves he was the most important player on the team?

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Don't put too much stock into this. It's glorified preseason
Yeah for sure except that for these kids it's one of the most important games of their lives. It was pretty intense with lots of contact, hard nosed cycling and even a pretty play here and there.
When you sign over the hill guys like Pacorety? There us no chance for Cowan, Minten, Greb to make this team, no matter what words we hear from Berube and Tre. The mold is cast.
They call it competition! Add Lorentz who has no NHL level skill, Reaves, all which says bye bye to thrilling guys with desire, skill, effort, and passion.
I don't think Treliving or Berube are stuck in the veteran is better mentality. Young guys were inserted into the lineup last year as needed.

Minten is more likely to make the team than either Lorentz or Pacioretty. There are a lot of people other than you Bill that think this way, but the Leafs Mgmnt are a little more progressive than you think. They've been preaching the same mantra all summer of " who wins the job gets the job.

The NHL is a skating game and Minten caught two different guys from behind yesterday, one of whom was rated as an elite skater at the draft. Just because there are a couple of PTOs in camp doesn't negate jobs that are currently wide open.

In fact I would say there are only 7 or 8 players guaranteed roster spots as of the camp opening next week, all else is up for grabs.

I'm kind of amazed that so many people underestimate Mintens offensive abilities. Even though he fought injuries all year, played on 4 different teams and still was a PPG player in the W, people still don't see him!

Hard accurate shot, check
Disguises release points, check
Silky mitts, check
High awareness level, check
Goes to the dirty areas, check
Strong on the boards, check

He could play in the A and it might do him some good, but he's already highly disciplined and plays a strong 200 foot game. If he can win the dot at least 50% of the time against NHLers I just don't see him in the A.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Is he actually? i thought he was ruled out for the whole weekend

He's listed in potential Leaf line-up which is what the Leafs submit to the league I believe

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He's listed in potential Leaf line-up which is what the Leafs submit to the league I believe

He's not playing this weekend per the coach, unless that changed. So probably just going with the list submitted prior to getting injured.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought Sam Stevens out of the AHL signings has been a pleasant surprise. He was involved physically and noticeable on the forecheck. I'm looking forward to see how he does with the Marlies this season.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Yeah for sure except that for these kids it's one of the most important games of their lives. It was pretty intense with lots of contact, hard nosed cycling and even a pretty play here and there.

I don't think Treliving or Berube are stuck in the veteran is better mentality. Young guys were inserted into the lineup last year as needed.

Minten is more likely to make the team than either Lorentz or Pacioretty. There are a lot of people other than you Bill that think this way, but the Leafs Mgmnt are a little more progressive than you think. They've been preaching the same mantra all summer of " who wins the job gets the job.

The NHL is a skating game and Minten caught two different guys from behind yesterday, one of whom was rated as an elite skater at the draft. Just because there are a couple of PTOs in camp doesn't negate jobs that are currently wide open.

In fact I would say there are only 7 or 8 players guaranteed roster spots as of the camp opening next week, all else is up for grabs.

I'm kind of amazed that so many people underestimate Mintens offensive abilities. Even though he fought injuries all year, played on 4 different teams and still was a PPG player in the W, people still don't see him!

Hard accurate shot, check
Disguises release points, check
Silky mitts, check
High awareness level, check
Goes to the dirty areas, check
Strong on the boards, check

He could play in the A and it might do him some good, but he's already highly disciplined and plays a strong 200 foot game. If he can win the dot at least 50% of the time against NHLers I just don't see him in the A.
For guys like Cowan, the coaches and scouts already know what he's all about and this tournament isn't going to make it break him. I think he knows that and is just having fun and trying stay healthy for training camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad