Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
wasn’t Valentini’s camp requesting a top 6 spot right away in the pre draft meetings? Who would get bumped out of the top 6?

Harvard does not give financial scholarships so it’s more than just hockey for him. Feels like luring Cali away would be a tough task

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
wasn’t Valentini’s camp requesting a top 6 spot right away in the pre draft meetings? Who would get bumped out of the top 6?

Harvard does not give financial scholarships so it’s more than just hockey for him. Feels like luring Cali away would be a tough task
I mentioned Cali as a possibility only if he would report. The odds of that with a Harvard commit aren’t good but in the event he had a change of heart or is trying to call his shot…..
Also, I find it odd that the Soo would draft two questionable commits with their 1st two picks. Maybe it was “out there” that Cali could be swayed to report to the league?

On Valentini:
First off, I’m sure we can all agree that nobody should be able to dictate top six minutes off the get go. Ice time should be earned, etc etc.

That being said, being drafted by Brampton, a top contender this year, likely relegates him to the fourth line or at very best best third line. He maybe gets at most comparable PP time that Pinelli and Rehkopf got here as a 16 year olds. Maybe.

So if the Valentini camp wants him to play top six minutes, or at least not be buried down the line up as a 16 year old, Brampton is not the place to play.

But, a rebuilding team with an extremely young roster destined to get even younger, would be. The opportunity for more minutes surely would be greater and yes, he may squeeze into our top six - not because of demands but because of opportunity here vs Brampton. Look back to 2nd round pick Derek Roy. He played first line C here as a 16 year old. Had the Rangers been a veteran, top contending team that year, he likely doesn’t play top six minutes. But that Rangers edition was young and very thin up front - the perfect opportunity for Roy. That’s the type of situation that Valentini would be stepping into here this year.

Elite prospects has Valentini as a left shooting forward. That tells me he’s either a C or LW, or both. With Ellinas likely playing C going forward, and once we move out Swick, we have openings at LW on the top six. Valentini could move into 2nd line LW. Heck, he may be able to do that before a Swick deal.

Remember, despite being taken at #13, he was ranked 2nd overall in the draft. That’s high end. He immediately slots in ahead of our other 08 forwards and likely some other older players.

Today, our left side after Swick is in no particular order: Bottineau, Hlacar, LaBrash. It isn’t far fetched to assume that Valentini would slot ahead of those three.

I’m just making a case where it would be make sense and would work doing a Valentini deal.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Would love to see us acquire a big defective player but that would push Cameron out of the line up unfortunately. I believe MM will announce Schaubel is getting the back-up job taking one of our 08 cards.

To a few points above, I thought Bilecki really came on this weekend. You could’ve convinced me today he was our first rounder and Headrick was our second but they both looked good.
Would find it strange going with Schaubel as the backup. He’d be lucky to get 20 starts as Parsons backup. Especially when you consider having to force another 08 off the roster.

Play him at JrB. Get him a ton of starts. Still practice with the big team. Maybe get the odd start here if there’s an injury.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Would find it strange going with Schaubel as the backup. He’d be lucky to get 20 starts as Parsons backup. Especially when you consider having to force another 08 off the roster.

Play him at JrB. Get him a ton of starts. Still practice with the big team. Maybe get the odd start here if there’s an injury.
Is there a rule how a 16 yr old goaltender doesn't count towards the 4 skaters? I may be totally wrong on that and probably am.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

Did I miss info of Edwards? Is he hurt?? For me, he's the logical choice for backup and yes, Schaubel plays in B close to here so he can be pulled in as needed.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I mentioned Cali as a possibility only if he would report. The odds of that with a Harvard commit aren’t good but in the event he had a change of heart or is trying to call his shot…..
Also, I find it odd that the Soo would draft two questionable commits with their 1st two picks. Maybe it was “out there” that Cali could be swayed to report to the league?

On Valentini:
First off, I’m sure we can all agree that nobody should be able to dictate top six minutes off the get go. Ice time should be earned, etc etc.

That being said, being drafted by Brampton, a top contender this year, likely relegates him to the fourth line or at very best best third line. He maybe gets at most comparable PP time that Pinelli and Rehkopf got here as a 16 year olds. Maybe.

So if the Valentini camp wants him to play top six minutes, or at least not be buried down the line up as a 16 year old, Brampton is not the place to play.

But, a rebuilding team with an extremely young roster destined to get even younger, would be. The opportunity for more minutes surely would be greater and yes, he may squeeze into our top six - not because of demands but because of opportunity here vs Brampton. Look back to 2nd round pick Derek Roy. He played first line C here as a 16 year old. Had the Rangers been a veteran, top contending team that year, he likely doesn’t play top six minutes. But that Rangers edition was young and very thin up front - the perfect opportunity for Roy. That’s the type of situation that Valentini would be stepping into here this year.

Elite prospects has Valentini as a left shooting forward. That tells me he’s either a C or LW, or both. With Ellinas likely playing C going forward, and once we move out Swick, we have openings at LW on the top six. Valentini could move into 2nd line LW. Heck, he may be able to do that before a Swick deal.

Remember, despite being taken at #13, he was ranked 2nd overall in the draft. That’s high end. He immediately slots in ahead of our other 08 forwards and likely some other older players.

Today, our left side after Swick is in no particular order: Bottineau, Hlacar, LaBrash. It isn’t far fetched to assume that Valentini would slot ahead of those three.

I’m just making a case where it would be make sense and would work doing a Valentini deal.
Agreed....it's all there IF Valentini (and his family) would prefer he play closer to home (Toronto) and is attracted to the young and talented Rangers who are targeting the Memorial Cup in a few years. It would also make sense for Brampton.......they get two 1st round picks next draft. Rangers pick up a 1st rounder from this past draft. Looking at the trade for Rehkopf, that lack of a 1st was noted by some so it could all come out in the wash with Valentini. It certainly is an enticing scenario and fun to discuss. With Hage, it didn't happen until mid September. Standby!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Agreed....it's all there IF Valentini (and his family) would prefer he play closer to home (Toronto) and is attracted to the young and talented Rangers who are targeting the Memorial Cup in a few years. It would also make sense for Brampton.......they get two 1st round picks next draft. Rangers pick up a 1st rounder from this past draft. Looking at the trade for Rehkopf, that lack of a 1st was noted by some so it could all come out in the wash with Valentini. It certainly is an enticing scenario and fun to discuss. With Hage, it didn't happen until mid September. Standby!
If the Rangers, Brampton, and the Valentini camp are all on board, the trick is to get a fair deal done. The Rangers cannot send any of the picks they received from Brampton in the Rehkopf deal back to Brampton in a Valentini deal. That’s via the two part trade rule. So, the only real value the Rangers have to deal back to Brampton to close a deal are their picks in the 28 draft, and the late round picks they have remaining in earlier drafts. Also, trading for a defected player has to be a picks only deal.

Unless Brampton accepts our ‘28 second, third, fourth round picks even up for Valentini, and it’s a longshot that they would, this would have to be an unofficial two-part deal where our only major asset left on the roster, Andonovski, is involved.

As you said, it’s fun to talk about. But one thing is sure, these three players are likely to be designated defected. That means their rights will be traded somewhere in the next week or so. There’s no reason why the Rangers can’t be in play.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Harvard does grant financial scholarships to 55% of all students and their financial aid program is peerless; $712 million distributed in 2023 from an incredible endowment of ~$51 billion. No athletic scholarships but anyone committed there whose folks aren't in the top 10% US income bracket will already have a very generous scholarship/aid pledge based on their academics and need. About 25% of all students pay no tuition and almost 60% receive offsetting funding to make expenses less than their local state college. Tough opportunity to walk away from for anyone so academically inclined.

That means their rights will be traded somewhere in the next week or so. There’s no reason why the Rangers can’t be in play.
Definitely need defecting players to say 'only Kitchener' and for Valentini we likely need to add more eligible 2nds/3rds to flop if he guarantees that he's playing OHL hockey somewhere.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Definitely need defecting players to say 'only Kitchener' and for Valentini we likely need to add more eligible 2nds/3rds to flop if he guarantees that he's playing OHL hockey somewhere.
That’s where my suggestion of a two-part deal involving Andonovski comes into play.

For example (I know. This isn’t my first time suggesting this on here):

To Brampton:
Kitchener’s 2nd, 3rd, 4th all in ‘28

To Kitchener:
Valentini.

Then shortly after:

To Brampton:
Andonovski.

To Kitchener:
Brampton’s 2nd, 3rd, 4th all in ‘28

Supposing Andonovski’s value is comparable to Jorian Donovan’s return at last year‘s trade deadline, Brampton will have received 2x2nds, 4x3rds, 2x4ths for Valentini. That’s pretty much the standard 3x2nds & 3x3rds if you want to say a 3rd and 2x4ths equals a 2nd.

Each half of this two-part trade looks to be an underpayment. But, at the end of the day makes sense once they are merged together.

Back in the day, when Kitchener and Windsor did the Bracco/Stanley two part deal, each side of that deal looked like an underpayment as well. But at the end of the day, it was a fair transaction.

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
If the Rangers, Brampton, and the Valentini camp are all on board, the trick is to get a fair deal done. The Rangers cannot send any of the picks they received from Brampton in the Rehkopf deal back to Brampton in a Valentini deal. That’s via the two part trade rule. So, the only real value the Rangers have to deal back to Brampton to close a deal are their picks in the 28 draft, and the late round picks they have remaining in earlier drafts. Also, trading for a defected player has to be a picks only deal.

Unless Brampton accepts our ‘28 second, third, fourth round picks even up for Valentini, and it’s a longshot that they would, this would have to be an unofficial two-part deal where our only major asset left on the roster, Andonovski, is involved.

As you said, it’s fun to talk about. But one thing is sure, these three players are likely to be designated defected. That means their rights will be traded somewhere in the next week or so. There’s no reason why the Rangers can’t be in play.
Assuming all players would report for this exercise, my ordering would go Valentini > Malhotra > Cali with Valentini and Malhotra being close to interchangeable.

Caleb had a strong run down the stretch and teams were high on him (Near/At T5 range) from my understanding.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Harvard does grant financial scholarships to 55% of all students and their financial aid program is peerless; $712 million distributed in 2023 from an incredible endowment of ~$51 billion. No athletic scholarships but anyone committed there whose folks aren't in the top 10% US income bracket will already have a very generous scholarship/aid pledge based on their academics and need. About 25% of all students pay no tuition and almost 60% receive offsetting funding to make expenses less than their local state college. Tough opportunity to walk away from for anyone so academically inclined.
My apologies meant athletic. Not sure why I put financial.

Reactions: K2

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
It would be tomorrow that any defect player trad could be announce at the earliest? Sunday and Monday I imagine OHL head office is closed.

You would think a player holding out this year Kitchener would be a very attractive team. Top 9 is very easily available on forward with a lock on PP2 for a good 2008. On D once Ando is traded you have Max and Reid who will command ice time. Spots 3 to 6 are pretty much equal. The team finally has a good coach that top end talent would like to play for. The crowds are top 5 in the OHL. Kitchener is a wealthy team. Can’t see anyone saying if OHL is the goal that that would turn down Kitchener. Hopefully something happens in the next week.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It would be tomorrow that any defect player trad could be announce at the earliest? Sunday and Monday I imagine OHL head office is closed.

You would think a player holding out this year Kitchener would be a very attractive team. Top 9 is very easily available on forward with a lock on PP2 for a good 2008. On D once Ando is traded you have Max and Reid who will command ice time. Spots 3 to 6 are pretty much equal. The team finally has a good coach that top end talent would like to play for. The crowds are top 5 in the OHL. Kitchener is a wealthy team. Can’t see anyone saying if OHL is the goal that that would turn down Kitchener. Hopefully something happens in the next week.
And once you add in that they plan to bid on the 2027 Memorial cup, it’s very understandable that a holdout would say Kitchener or bust.

Reactions: OnlyUpFromHere49

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Well… the clock starts tomorrow it seems on the defect window.

We’ll see what happens in Rangers Nation
From what I heard. Malholtras family, agent etc all approved of the OHL. It’s the kid that himself wants to be in the bchl and closer to dad (in Abbotsford)

That’s 1 of the 3 not sure about the other 2

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Quiet day. Was expecting something. Didn’t have to be the Rangers but something.

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
Could be wrong but I think it would be quieter this week aside from some potential “defect” player trades …. And Colby Barlow?

Teams want to see what they have first in their preseason games which really ramp up this upcoming weekend.

Reactions: rangersblues

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Could be wrong but I think it would be quieter this week aside from some potential “defect” player trades …. And Colby Barlow?

Teams want to see what they have first in their preseason games which really ramp up this upcoming weekend.

I was thinking a defect player trade would of been wrapped up and just waiting for today to announce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad