Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
5 Nations tournament in Switzerland wrapped up this past week. Czechia wins the tournament and their top points getter was Sale with 4 goals and 3 assists in 7 games.

Is Stark injured? I thought he was in the stands Friday. If it was him, he looked fine.
Seemed fine when we saw him yesterday. Antis though as noted by others is in a sling but seemed in good spirits (no pun Saginaw...honest).

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
I don’t really like breaking news on here but yes Stark is also hurt and I don’t think he will lace them up for a few weeks. Antsis will be out much longer than that.

• Wow
Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
From what I'm seeing it looks like Schneider and Pugliese sit today. O'Brien appears to be out too for the Bulldogs. Too bad. I was personally hoping to see him play today. O'Donnell is to be on the ice for those interested in seeing the Dog's first rounder.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
Weston Cameron has been a bit of a surprise - at least to me, maybe you all expected this from him.

His shot looks to be OHL caliber now and he is generating chances in the preseason. Based on what I had read about him, I thought he was more of a defensive type guy.

The last few years of 3rd rounds picks have been a little underwhelming. Not terrible, but not a lot of production. Maybe he breaks that trend.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Weston Cameron has been a bit of a surprise - at least to me, maybe you all expected this from him.

His shot looks to be OHL caliber now and he is generating chances in the preseason. Based on what I had read about him, I thought he was more of a defensive type guy.

The last few years of 3rd rounds picks have been a little underwhelming. Not terrible, but not a lot of production. Maybe he breaks that trend.

His shot is very good for his age. He didn’t do anything Friday night to impress me. I missed yesterday’s game so no comment on that. I’ll be at todays game and keep an eye on him.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Not much of a surprise actually. He was ranked to go late first early second round in some mock drafts.

For all intents and purposes, Cameron is a flyer that worked out for us.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
After 3 preseason games I am pretty excited about this team and the future they will have. I was only able to catch the game on Friday but I liked the physicality that they brought, and I was also pleased with the skill I saw from a number of players. I think that if the work ethic is there with this team. They will probably do alright up until they trade away their better and older players like their supposed to.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
After 3 preseason games I am pretty excited about this team and the future they will have. I was only able to catch the game on Friday but I liked the physicality that they brought, and I was also pleased with the skill I saw from a number of players. I think that if the work ethic is there with this team. They will probably do alright up until they trade away their better and older players like they’re supposed to.
For the most part, I liked what I saw with the new guys. The 08 that impressed me the most today was Bilecki. He looks really smooth out there. Definitely going to be a good one. I liked what I saw in Cameron but I think Headrick will be this year’s Lam. A year to get used to the league and put on a little size.

Ellinas looks like a natural at center. Nice to see Andonovski be smart in not engaging with Okintundo. No reason to be fighting him really.

It’ll be a long year but it’s always nice watching the kids develop along with the anticipation of a continued sell off.

By this time next year this team will start to make some noise in their crawl up the standings.

Question:
Is it because he’s a first rounder and automatically signed to an A card the reason Headrick is the only 08 without a cage?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Today was pretty much our full roster. Brantford had some good scratches. A good game by Kitchener but it will for sure get harder shortly.

Belecki I thought looked a lot better today then Friday. Coaches are giving him the green light to play how he plays and I think in years to come that will pay off huge. He was jumping into the play almost every shift. A lot of OHL teams make their young D play D first and get away from the game the player is comfortable playing. This year we can afford mistakes by the young players. I think this kid by the end of year the fans will like the most. He is going to make mistakes but I like his no fear of making mistakes right now. That will pay off huge in years to come.

Lam made some really nice plays today.

Headrick with a goal to hopefully get some confidence. The kid is always smiling.

Hlacar with a couple big hits and a beauty blocked shot. He is growing on me and I’ve only seen 2 games.

What I do like most is the mix of players talking with each other. The vets are always joking and talking with the rookies. No one seems to be left out. I think JA really preaches that and to me anyways it nice to see everyone talking with everyone. There seems to be no little collections of players who only talk with certain players. The vets don’t think they are better than the rookies. In years past I always got the impression of group of players talking and some cockiness in the vets to the younger kids. You want you rookies / young players to improve thought out the year then making them feel welcome and wanted right from preseason is huge. They will preform better when they are comfortable in the environment…not just hockey but anywhere in life.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
For the most part, I liked what I saw with the new guys. The 08 that impressed me the most today was Bilecki. He looks really smooth out there. Definitely going to be a good one. I liked what I saw in Cameron but I think Headrick will be this year’s Lam. A year to get used to the league and put on a little size.

Ellinas looks like a natural at center. Nice to see Andonovski be smart in not engaging with Okintundo. No reason to be fighting him really.

It’ll be a long year but it’s always nice watching the kids develop along with the anticipation of a continued sell off.

By this time next year this team will start to make some noise in their crawl up the standings.

Question:
Is it because he’s a first rounder and automatically signed to an A card the reason Headrick is the only 08 without a cage?

We were typing same time….I really like Bilecki tonight and 3rd period Friday. He plays a different offensive game than Reid. Them on 2 different pairings in mem cup year could frustrate a lot of teams.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Yeah, I do like what I saw of the three 08's this early. It's only preseason, but you can already see a bit of what you're getting going forward.

I've learned that Headrick plays a fearless game. I did notice today he's not afraid to "chirp it up" a bit too. He did that to a vet that was 3 years his senior as they skated to the bench.

Bilecki's play was like a 3-game crescendo to me - if that means anything. His first couple of shifts in game one - maybe not so memorable. But it seemed to me, in no time he had kept building up his confidence to the point that today he was making plays that made me wonder if he had switched jerseys with a non-rookie. Mind you it did cost him a couple of times - especially later in the game today when fatigue appeared to be setting in on the team, but best to figure out your limits now in preseason. There could very well be times he'll be reminded to rein it in a bit.

As for Cameron, I was surprised at his willingness to use his big body to be physical. The rest of his attributes have already been mentioned here. I really see promise in this kid's overall game looking out into the future.

Like I mentioned before, this past draft couldn't match 2023. But still, I can't wait to see these three guys in a couple years from now.

Can't get too excited after three games though. Some big names were missing. Glad to at least see Misa play. He's going to have one heck of a year. As for today, the Bulldogs are going to look quite different by the beginning of the season. Today missing, Lardis, O'Brien and of course Vanacker - just a few off the top of my head. Did O'Donnell only get one shift and gone? Disappointing. I noticed they had Runco playing wing...perhaps as a result.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023

Question:
Re: Question

This is something I was wondering too. Thinking back to last year guys like Lam and Stark (non-1st rounders), I could have sworn they had half shields on already which was why I was presenting the idea of Bilecki/Cameron still being on B cards potentially.

Could this be a workaround to be able to acquire a “defect” player(s)? I remember the conversation last year about acquiring younger Brzustewicz and the issue arising that the team didn’t have the contractual room to trade for and sign him.

We’ll find out this week most likely if McKenzie is dipping into that pool of players!

Jives

Jan 6, 2018

This is something I was wondering too. Thinking back to last year guys like Lam and Stark (non-1st rounders), I could have sworn they had half shields on already which was why I was presenting the idea of Bilecki/Cameron still being on B cards potentially.

Could this be a workaround to be able to acquire a “defect” player(s)? I remember the conversation last year about acquiring younger Brzustewicz and the issue arising that the team didn’t have the contractual room to trade for and sign him.

We’ll find out this week most likely if McKenzie is dipping into that pool of players!

I think it had to do with high end education packages why younger Bruz was a trade issue for us? Does the Rehkopf trade open up bringing in a top end young player and have room for a better package. I understand a lot of rules in the OHL but the package levels and how many each team can have….I have no clue how that works. Hunter Bruz and Rehkopf for sure would of been a top end education package.

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
I think it had to do with high end education packages why younger Bruz was a trade issue for us? Does the Rehkopf trade open up bringing in a top end young player and have room for a better package. I understand a lot of rules in the OHL but the package levels and how many each team can have….I have no clue how that works. Hunter Bruz and Rehkopf for sure would of been a top end education package.
It definitely could be that and trading Rehkopf now helps with that… just another reason why they may have pulled the trigger now vs. at the deadline when he would have brought back an ‘08 1st rounder then as well.

Oh @OHL4Life if you are around and can enlighten us on the topic :laugh:

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023

Would love to see us acquire a big defective player but that would push Cameron out of the line up unfortunately. I believe MM will announce Schaubel is getting the back-up job taking one of our 08 cards.

To a few points above, I thought Bilecki really came on this weekend. You could’ve convinced me today he was our first rounder and Headrick was our second but they both looked good.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It definitely could be that and trading Rehkopf now helps with that… just another reason why they may have pulled the trigger now vs. at the deadline when he would have brought back an ‘08 1st rounder then as well.

Oh @OHL4Life if you are around and can enlighten us on the topic :laugh:
what’s the question? isnt Rehkopf signed to an nhl contract? If so the package becomes null and void

Reactions: OnlyUpFromHere49

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
what’s the question? isnt Rehkopf signed to an nhl contract? If so the package becomes null and void
In short, trying to figure out if the team has the contractual room to add one of the defect 1sts (Malhotra, Valentini, Cali) … assuming the player would even sign obviously as well.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Why is the OHL so touchy about how public the package information is? Sure the average fan probably doesn't care, but there is a big enough market that it should at least be common knowledge even if it's just posted somewhere on their site.

Reactions: frontsfan67

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Regarding possibly acquiring a defected player:

Please don’t acquire the rights to someone as we did Tortora. The player has to come now or don’t make the deal.

I don’t see Malhotra. He’s playing in dad’s backyard. He probably stays there for the year. I don’t want to trade for him and hope he comes eventually.

If Valentini is the guy, because we don’t have the assets (standard 3x2nds & 3x3rds for a player that calibre who will report) to send the other way, it may have to be linked up somehow in a two way deal? Andonovski?

Cali may be best possibility. Cost for a late first round pick wouldn’t be as high (see Henry Brzustewicz).

Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad