Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins GM Don Sweeney has nothing new to report on Jeremy Swayman contract talks - The Boston Globe

BUFFALO — What of Jeremy Swayman?

“Appreciate you asking,” a smiling Don Sweeney said early Saturday afternoon, prior to Day 2 of the annual Prospects Challenge.

But beyond such heartfelt thanks, the Bruins general manager remained unwilling to offer an update on contract negotiations with the club’s standout netminder.

Swayman, a restricted free agent, remains without a new deal is not expected to suit up for the start of training camp on Wednesday in Brighton.

“Kick it down the road,” said Sweeney, button-lipped on the subject of all things Swayman. “We’ll talk next week.”

Swayman has not made public what he is looking for in a new deal, after last season earning $3.475 million, a figure that was the product of salary arbitration. The Bruins also have remained mum about what they have offered to Swayman, 25, who owns a career mark of 79-33-15 with a 2.34 goals-against average and .919 save percentage. He is among the NHL’s top young goalies.

Per the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement, if the sides are unable to come to an agreement prior to Dec. 1, Swayman will be ineligible to play for the remainder of the season and the playoffs.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Yep, can't deny the enjoyment of watching that season.

As a fan of the team, doesn't it make more sense to root for management instead of the player?

The more Swayman gets, the worse off the Bruins are cap-wise.
I was wondering why you were more worried about Swaymans cap number than the awful Korpisalo contract. Pro management, all your posts make sense now, especially about winning the cup

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
This tired old refrain that management and ownership are not trying hard enough to win a Cup is just juvenile at this point.

Pretty sure better ice is not a prerequisite to winning a Cup.

Bringing in Korpisalo saves the Bruins $2 mil in Cap space this season. They really needed to get something for Ullmark and that's not easy when he has team restrictions.
I am not going after you post in a negative way but as a question, do you think that the Bruins would have been better off with Ullmark at this time for 1 year for 5 mil, or Korpisalo 4 years and 12 mil ?
Now at some point I think you might have been able to move Ullmark at some point, look at what Vancouver, is dealing with right now. Who knows it would not be the first time a goaltender gets a new lease on life, or any player for that matter and gets a fresh start and are able to turn their careers around and we can only hope that is the case with Korpisalo.

I am not going after you post in a negative way but as a question, do you think that the Bruins would have been better off with Ullmark at this time for 1 year for 5 mil, or Korpisalo 4 years and 12 mil ?
Now at some point I think you might have been able to move Ullmark at some point, look at what Vancouver, is dealing with right now. Who knows it would not be the first time a goaltender gets a new lease on life, or any player for that matter and gets a fresh start and are able to turn their careers around and we can only hope that is the case with Korpisalo.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I just want to say that no team will ever be able to do things like win a President's Cup, go deep in the playoffs, get to the finals or even with the whole darn thing, with a $10m goalie.
Obviously sarcasm but do you feel goalies should get this kinda dough without proving they can handle 60 or so without looking worn out ?

Part 2 question would you feel more comfortable paying a player making 10 mil that plays mostly 77 to 82 games vs a goalie that plays 55 to 60 games ?

Personally I think it’s tricky to gage what goalies should get paid and what there max hit should be around.
Don’t take this the wrong way either cause I truly believe they can win series so does that mean you pay them extra for what they may do in the playoffs ?

Just wondering other feels on this

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Obviously sarcasm but do you feel goalies should get this kinda dough without proving they can handle 60 or so without looking worn out ?

Part 2 question would you feel more comfortable paying a player making 10 mil that plays mostly 77 to 82 games vs a goalie that plays 55 to 60 games ?

Personally I think it’s tricky to gage what goalies should get paid and what there max hit should be around.
Don’t take this the wrong way either cause I truly believe they can win series so does that mean you pay them extra for what they may do in the playoffs ?

I think 3 months ago people were totally ok with Jeremy Swayman as the #1 G and a totally unproven Bussi as a back up, and there were pretty much zero questions about him going forward. I also think if the choices were: Swayman at 9 and Bussi at 775k or Swayman at 6.5 and Korpisalo at 3m I'd feel pretty much the same for this year since it's pretty much the same money....

, but I'd feel better going forward with the Sway/Bussi combo than one with the backup making 3m for several years.

All that said, I don't think Swayman is asking for 10m. So let's say it's 8.5m Why would that be a problem? I'd feel much better about Swayman at 8 x 8.5 than Lindholm at 7 x 7.75. MUCH better.

Which contract do you have more faith in holding its value between those 2?

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

They have rebuilt focusing on size, defense and goaltending. One of the key pieces to the whole strategy is Swayman being a top 5 goalie for years to come.

Instead of completely implementing this vision they are once again playing hard ball and expecting a player to take a " home town discount", even though he is a key to the whole strategy.

You've proven your pont Sweeney, you didn't cave in right away, they have 8.5 set aside for Swayman, pay him, get him in camp when it starts, and worry about winning for a change and not making Jacobs every penny they can.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
They have rebuilt focusing on size, defense and goaltending. One of the key pieces to the whole strategy is Swayman being a top 5 goalie for years to come.

Instead of completely implementing this vision they are once again playing hard ball and expecting a player to take a " home town discount", even though he is a key to the whole strategy.

You've proven your pont Sweeney, you didn't cave in right away, they have 8.5 set aside for Swayman, pay him, get him in camp when it starts, and worry about winning for a change and not making Jacobs every penny they can.
If they are surprised or upset about Swayman's ask then they are clueless. Then again if the 8 at 6.5 is true, they are clueless.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I make my own seasons and Fall starts September 16

September is half summer (1-15) and Fall (16-30)

Fall is when I start getting big time into the Bruins.

The quality of my posting will be crisper like an autumn morning and those terrible hot takes will fall like leaves to the lawn.

It’s tough to really get into hockey after FA and this place suffers without legit games to talk about and turns into a hot mess of shitty opinions including mine

But you were a beacon of great takes and common sense

I know a lot of people appreciate and won’t say it but thank you

Monday the 16th I will be back with my B game - 80% good posts

Let’s Go Bruins

Oh and I got to pay the Bruins for my seats Monday so that really knocks me into hockey season ~haha
Is this serious or ironic? I’ve lost the ability to distinguish between them.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Is 82x 20 minutes more worth than 60x60?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hilarious how now everyone here feels the team will be fine with Korpisalo as the starter. HF, don't ever change...

200.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad