Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Kingston i think is a topish team in the east if they get a goalie.
Oshawa likely will be more skilled they were built to win this year not last.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The challenge for Kingston is going to be what they have for defence
Pie if he comes will help but after that there really isnot a lot there unless Williamson improves lot you do not have any natural strength on the right side

Also, Pie is not an offensive D, so there needs to be someone who has some skill to play the right side with HiM.

Vaccari is a good goalie but he is gong to need someone he can rely on to back him up. Mann needs to be able to have that guy on the bench so that when Vaccari needs a break, he can put in them, and the team has faith in them.

The question also is how many of the players returning are going to want to play 2 way hockey and instead of worrying how many points they get how many goals they prevent.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Pie if he comes will help but after that there really isnot a lot there unless Williamson improves lot you do not have any natural strength on the right side

Also, Pie is not an offensive D, so there needs to be someone who has some skill to play the right side with HiM.
There will almost certainly be an OA D added to round out the top 4. Uens will be more than adequate as a weak side defender paired with either of Burns or Pieniniemi.
Vaccari is a good goalie but he is gong to need someone he can rely on to back him up. Mann needs to be able to have that guy on the bench so that when Vaccari needs a break, he can put in them, and the team has faith in them.

The question also is how many of the players returning are going to want to play 2 way hockey and instead of worrying how many points they get how many goals they prevent.
Same answer for every team, all of them if they expect to win.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023

Your last statement is the best of this post. That's why Thibodeau was moved and why possibly one or two more could be on their way out.

Again. I think the challenge for Kingston is not going to be what they have for D - esp to start if Pieniniemi comes.

Going by people's consensus on here and some obvious facts for some listed - i.e. traded, aged out, released, etc., we will/could be without the following forwards:

Thibodeau
Ludwinski
Dubois
Hemstrom
*Heyes
*Poole

Miedema/Frasca?

So I'm going to argue that the challenge will be to retool up front first - even if Miedema and Frasca stay put. That is a lot of forward depth to be replaced even if some of the fwds not listed make some strides and have the big years we are hoping for from them (i.e. Bataglia, Soto, Hopkins).

I do agree that there will be some tweeks or move for a D at some point, but I think we are OK to start with and see how things develop early, again, esp if Pieniniema is coming. There is some experience back there and potential for a few of them to step up and break out this year...

Pienieniema (19) - 41 pro games in Europe and played in a WJC

Burns (19) - 154 reg seas GP and 5 playoff games (will have two Blues camps under his belt)

Uens (19) - 198 reg seas GP and 11 playoff games

McGowan (19) - 90 reg seas GP and 5 playoff games

Williamson (18) - 53 reg season and GP 3 playoff games

Vellaris (17) - 10 reg seas GP

*Chromiak?? - 116 reg season GP and 7 playoff games

Yes it would be great to add a solid Euro D from the draft if available and "commit" to come, and an OA D, but I would prefer they hold off on the acquisition of an OA D until closer to the deadline if things are going well and we are in a good position. Then go after a big fish for the push.

My prediction is a move will be made for an impact scoring OA forward this summer.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Your last statement is the best of this post. That's why Thibodeau was moved and why possibly one or two more could be on their way out.

Again. I think the challenge for Kingston is not going to be what they have for D - esp to start if Pieniniemi comes.

Going by people's consensus on here and some obvious facts for some listed - i.e. traded, aged out, released, etc., we will/could be without the following forwards:

Thibodeau
Ludwinski
Dubois
Hemstrom
*Heyes
*Poole

Miedema/Frasca?

So I'm going to argue that the challenge will be to retool up front first - even if Miedema and Frasca stay put. That is a lot of forward depth to be replaced even if some of the fwds not listed make some strides and have the big years we are hoping for from them (i.e. Bataglia, Soto, Hopkins).

I do agree that there will be some tweeks or move for a D at some point, but I think we are OK to start with and see how things develop early, again, esp if Pieniniema is coming. There is some experience back there and potential for a few of them to step up and break out this year...

Burns (19) - 154 reg seas GP and 5 playoff games (will have two Blues camps under his belt)

Yes it would be great to add a solid Euro D from the draft if available and "commit" to come, and an OA D, but I would prefer they hold off on the acquisition of an OA D until closer to the deadline if things are going well and we are in a good position. Then go after a big fish for the push.

My prediction is a move will be made for an impact scoring OA forward this summer.
Well Dubois isnt even a question he was a OA last season so he will not be back.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
Well Dubois isnt even a question he was a OA last season so he will not be back.

I thought I referenced that fact with this statement, but perhaps was not clear enough. Sorry about that.

"some obvious facts for some listed - i.e. traded, aged out," I was referring to Thibodeau and Dubois there. It is very wordy now that I reread it.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
There will almost certainly be an OA D added to round out the top 4. Uens will be more than adequate as a weak side defender paired with either of Burns or Pieniniemi.

Same answer for every team, all of them if they expect to win.
Agree except for the uens comment. Unless he bulks up 30 lbs or grows 4 inches he can’t compete in the playoffs going against bigger and stronger guys. Unless he gets a ty Nelson build I don’t think he’s here for the full year

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Thibodeau
Ludwinski
Dubois
Hemstrom
*Heyes
*Poole

Miedema/Frasca?

I think burns is primed for a breakout as is Williamson(not sure how much of a breakout but I expect him to be better)

Velliaris I don’t think will be an impact guy on offence but should be reliable in his defensive zone sorta like a light version of Ben Danford(not comparing the skill just going based off what I’ve seen in 8 matches vs Oshawa this year, he’s a good defensive d man.

Uens and McGowan I don’t think improve much if any. If I had to pick 1 to keep it would be McGowan for the physicality and he doesn’t take stupid penalties or mess up in his own zone as much.

Pieniniemi I don’t know much about him other than he played pro in Finland, is supposed to be pretty fast and good defensively but I don’t think he’s gonna be a huge contributor on offence. Maybe similar to a mikko vainonen that used to play on the fronts?

Someone to be our 1C would be an excellent move by the fronts to acquire. Frasca had his moments but I’m not sure he’s ready to be the guy this year if they plan on contending

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
The guy I'm most excited to watch next year is Hopkins by a fairly significant margin. There were flashes here and there that really showed why he was picked 4th.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him end the year ahead of Frasca on the depth chart - Mann had him on the PK, I believe still did into the playoffs, so there's definitely a level of trust there with a 16 year old put into those minutes.

After Hopkins it's probably Velliaris, I liked the physicality he showed and hopefully he can be a steady 3rd pairing guy this year.

I'm not convinced of a Williamson breakout, hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see him as much more than a 3rd pair guy, and I could easily see him being moved like Schneider was last year.

With the discussion earlier that it may be a possibility, I do wonder, if Hemstrom returns, if they consider him at 1C - he was 5th on the team in FOs last year, and depending on how that goes they could focus their buying on the wing.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think burns is primed for a breakout as is Williamson(not sure how much of a breakout but I expect him to be better)

Velliaris I don’t think will be an impact guy on offence but should be reliable in his defensive zone sorta like a light version of Ben Danford(not comparing the skill just going based off what I’ve seen in 8 matches vs Oshawa this year, he’s a good defensive d man.

Uens and McGowan I don’t think improve much if any. If I had to pick 1 to keep it would be McGowan for the physicality and he doesn’t take stupid penalties or mess up in his own zone as much.

Pieniniemi I don’t know much about him other than he played pro in Finland, is supposed to be pretty fast and good defensively but I don’t think he’s gonna be a huge contributor on offence. Maybe similar to a mikko vainonen that used to play on the fronts?

Someone to be our 1C would be an excellent move by the fronts to acquire. Frasca had his moments but I’m not sure he’s ready to be the guy this year if they plan on contending
I’ll guess Uens is there two more seasons. Teams don’t really invest in small players for the early years then bail when they are 19. Most his size cannot play at 16, almost all will have a difficult time playing D at that size at 17-18. This season he will be older than ~60% of the league, it just gets easier.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I’ll guess Uens is there two more seasons. Teams don’t really invest in small players for the early years then bail when they are 19. Most his size cannot play at 16, almost all will have a difficult time playing D at that size at 17-18. This season he will be older than ~60% of the league, it just gets easier.
I hope you’re right. I’d love to see the guy succeed but he has lots of room for improvement

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The guy I'm most excited to watch next year is Hopkins by a fairly significant margin. There were flashes here and there that really showed why he was picked 4th.
Completely agree. Battaglia I’m sure scores a lot and he will be fun to watch but I, like you am more invested in see what Hopkins does. He had a great 10-15 games and then a good playoff showing too. He has the speed, effort and defence down, if he can consistently put up points he will be a big part of the team.
It wouldn't surprise me to see him end the year ahead of Frasca on the depth chart - Mann had him on the PK, I believe still did into the playoffs, so there's definitely a level of trust there with a 16 year old put into those minutes.
Wouldn’t shock me one bit. Has a way higher ceiling than frasca imo. Could jump up in points like marek vanacker with the right linemates.
After Hopkins it's probably Velliaris, I liked the physicality he showed and hopefully he can be a steady 3rd pairing guy this year.
Agree. He’s a project d man but I think it’s gonna work out well for the fronts and him. Draft year too so expect some development.
I'm not convinced of a Williamson breakout, hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see him as much more than a 3rd pair guy, and I could easily see him being moved like Schneider was last year
Williamson is better with the puck, faster and arguably a better defender too. Still if he they pick up an OA d man and he doesn’t end up playing top 4 minutes atleast then I think you’re right. Really hoping he plays more than uens and McGowan- younger and around same skill but with far more potential.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
The fact the article mentions the tandem of Lalonde/Vaccari makes me think they're quite confident he'll return.

I wonder what this means for Salajko - I don't see him being in very high demand, and looking past next year it'll be Betts' net.

I assume the conditions are based on him returning - any idea what the 15th turns into if he returns?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The fact the article mentions the tandem of Lalonde/Vaccari makes me think they're quite confident he'll return.

I wonder what this means for Salajko - I don't see him being in very high demand, and looking past next year it'll be Betts' net.

I assume the conditions are based on him returning - any idea what the 15th turns into if he returns?
Saginaw’s tweet listed the conditions. Turns into a 3rd and a 7th if he suits up for Kingston.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Maybe waivers for Salajko and some team may play him.

Or could be an Easton rye situation lol and play on every team next year as an emergency goalie

Saginaw’s tweet listed the conditions. Turns into a 3rd and a 7th if he suits up for Kingston.

I’m good with this deal. not very costly either. Kingston usually gets fleeced. Sztuska will go for a lot more I assume.

Helps with the mem cup experience.

1 OA down 2 to go. Import draft should make things pretty clear about what they may be thinking

Reactions: Section5Petes

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Interesting to see who is going to be the starter and who is the Back up. Can not see Lalonde being a back up but he really does not have the stats to be a starter

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Interesting to see who is going to be the starter and who is the Back up. Can not see Lalonde being a back up but he really does not have the stats to be a starter
Lalonde was the backup this year to oke who isn’t a super strong goalie.

With this move I think they have a reliable backup that provides a lot of experience and maybe can pass some of that onto vaccari for the playoffs.

Regardless of who the starter is I’m happy they made this move. Can’t have vaccari playing 50 or 60 games a year. Regardless of if vaccari plays 40-45 this year and lalonde plays the rest or if they split 34-34 I think this move makes the team better in the long run.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IMG_5414.jpeg

Safe to say Cooper is pretty high on them

Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
LOL a few other teams mayhave something to say about that. .875 sav% is ok but

Also is it confirmed he is reporting I would have thought that they wouldn't have to do the trade with the if he reports. You have to wonder if he really wants to play as a BU or start university
Lalonde is a signed Columbus prospect. He could play pro, play for Kingston with the team paying for university courses, or go to a school at his own cost minus any bursaries that school might offer.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Lalonde is a signed Columbus prospect. He could play pro, play for Kingston with the team paying for university courses, or go to a school at his own cost minus any bursaries that school might offer.
I did not realize that he was signed. In that case I would expect him to be the starting goalie and definitely playing. Columbus has no ECHL affiliate and they already have 3 goalies on their AHL team.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Also is it confirmed he is reporting I would have thought that they wouldn't have to do the trade with the if he reports. You have to wonder if he really wants to play as a BU or start university
I really caution people with looking at goalie numbers when it comes to Saginaw. They can give up more odd man rushes than most teams. I think the important part to take away is that he back stopped us past a very good Soo team. He's a good option for the price.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I think if he comes here and cooper mentions both of them, and with his experience. He will likely be playing around the same amount of games as vaccari. Which will make vaccaris numbers better too so he can actually rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad