Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Dakota Joshua signs extension with the Canucks (4 years, $3.25M AAV)

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Would have preferred a high $2+ million contract more but it’s only $500k then what I would have been happy to sign him for. Thought he’d get a $4+ contract in free agency though because of his skillset.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I didn’t think it made sense to bring him back if he was going to get max value. At this number I think it’s pretty solid in terms of lowering the regression risk. I just hoping it doesn’t mean the team is out on a bigger fish to play with Petey

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
shooting >20% suddenly at 28 makes me question sustainability too but obviously he has other attributes and the cap space probably doesn't matter long-term

Yeah a similar player in Brandon Tanev cost the Penguins 6 years at $3.5 million with a lower cap a couple of years ago.

Are there risks with Joshua? Definitely, but the fact that he signed what looks like a legitimately fair deal (instead of something asinine you usually see in UFA) makes those risks pretty much irrelevant.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Even if he does not deliver results like last year, some team would give him another shot, the cap will be peanuts in a few years.

Basically small/No risk deal

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
shooting >20% suddenly at 28 makes me question sustainability too but obviously he has other attributes and the cap space probably doesn't matter long-term
He's a smart PK guy and was top 10 in hits last year despite missing 15 or so games. Even if he becomes a 15 goal, 30 pt 3rd-liner it's worth it. I think he still has untapped upside. He moves well for a big man and has great hands in tight.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Yeah a similar player in Brandon Tanev cost the Penguins 6 years at $3.5 million with a lower cap a couple of years ago.

Are there risks with Joshua? Definitely, but the fact that he signed what looks like a legitimately fair deal (instead of something asinine you usually see in UFA) makes those risks pretty much irrelevant.
Even if he drops a few goals from last year, he still brings a ton of physicality and is a very good penalty killer. I think it's worth the risk at this $.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think it’s also important to note that, even if he’s not scoring, he hits like a truck, and is one of the best penalty killers on our team.

That leaves about 17m to sign A top 6 Winger ( or two ) and a defender + Silovs.

Easily dooable

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Excellent. If he played a whole season he would've scored 20 goals easily, getting that for 3.25 has value-contract potential for VAN. Top PKer too on-top of his physical ability.

Allvin having the summer of his life so far

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Seems like a pretty decent extension. The concern with career fringe players putting it together for a payday and then regressing is always going to be a thing. But they couldn't let him go, and it's hardly a terrible deal if he does slip back a bit.

Good signing for DJ and the Canucks.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Great contract. Anyone who says otherwise is a hater. Every team in the league would have happily given this out. Canucks are doing a great job.

Reactions: dealwithit

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Joshua is the type of player who would've gathered a ton of interest I think. Someone always overpays a guy like that.

Good for Van to get it done. Seems like the players are on board keeping the band together, in this case the 3rd line that was so good for them.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad