Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Even if Ullmark doesn't extend, this trade is a win just because we didn't pay too much to move Korpisalo and we needed to do that at to boost team morale.

Now the best way to make sure this trade is an absolute win, go acquire an RD. Don't acquire Ullmark with the hope that he's going to individually fix our defensive woes. Boston's top 4 was much better than ours, and we need to make sure Ullmark isn't the only improvement on our back end.

I personally like that Ullmark and Staios are waiting for a new deal. No need to rush. As much as we need a bargain of a deal, I don't want to hand out premature deals the way we have under Dorion. Welcome to Ottawa Linus!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I went from optimistic to dangerously optimistic. The previous goalies we acquired all seemed to have question marks attached and I was at most cautiously optimistic before they eventually proved to be average or worse.

I'm thinking Ullmark is the goalie to take us to the promised land.
Ya I think this one is gonna be different. Gave me EK vibes in that interview.

So much gets made about Ottawa being a goalie graveyard, but I feel that gets a bit overblown. The talent brought in has not been A caliber most of the time and while some of them had times of consistency, I don't think guys like Hammond, Condon, Nilsson, Emery, Korpisalo, Forsberg, etc. were all that great for a ceiling, so to see them crater wasn't that surprising. Then you have the guys brought down by injury (or having affected their play too much by then) like Leclaire, Talbot and Murray. Anderson was great and really they just rode him a little long making that last contract look questionable. Bishop/Lehner each had success in the league elsewhere.

Imo the guys with the talent to be a starter showed that most of the time or after they left, or were too injury prone by then, but a lot of these guys brought in were just not the type of talent to lead a team, like the 2 last year.

Reactions: ColinM

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The price paid makes an extension a bonus at this point. I'd have moved Kastelic and the 25th just to punt Korpisalo and his contract, getting Ullmark for "free" for a season is already a win. If it's a fit for both sides we'll likely see an extension worked out.

My biggest worry with Ullmark is that while he's definitely a stud #1, he's not a guy who is going to handle a massive workload. I think whoever is the backup is going to get into more games than expected next season. It's why I'd like them to ship Forsberg out and bring in someone a little more reliable like Brossoit or Stolarz who are high end backups with 1B potential. (I say this while expecting Forsberg back to play that role with Soogard there in case he falters).

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The price paid makes an extension a bonus at this point. I'd have moved Kastelic and the 25th just to punt Korpisalo and his contract, getting Ullmark for "free" for a season is already a win. If it's a fit for both sides we'll likely see an extension worked out.

My biggest worry with Ullmark is that while he's definitely a stud #1, he's not a guy who is going to handle a massive workload. I think whoever is the backup is going to get into more games than expected next season. It's why I'd like them to ship Forsberg out and bring in someone a little more reliable like Brossoit or Stolarz who are high end backups with 1B potential. (I say this while expecting Forsberg back to play that role with Soogard there in case he falters).
He said the opposite yesterday. He wants to play more and specifically talked about it when considering destinations. Said he had his best year playing the most games he's ever played at 49 and looks forward to playing even more this year. Was looking for a situation to be a clear #1 and implied he was looking to be done with the platoon situation and be a workhorse.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He said the opposite yesterday. He wants to play more and specifically talked about it when considering destinations. Said he had his best year playing the most games he's ever played at 49 and looks forward to playing even more this year. Was looking for a situation to be a clear #1 and implied he was looking to be done with the platoon situation and be a workhorse.

I just think there's a massive difference between Ullmark being a workhorse and a guy like Hellebyuck being a work horse playing 60++ games. I do think he'll get the opportunity to start 50(+) games here but that still leaves 30ish for someone else and it has to be an upgrade on what Forsberg and Soogard provided last season.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I think Forsberg will be fine as a back up. He was coming back off two knee injuries last year. I think he rebounds and plays pretty well in about 30 games this year. Ullmark gets 55.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I just think there's a massive difference between Ullmark being a workhorse and a guy like Hellebyuck being a work horse playing 60++ games. I do think he'll get the opportunity to start 50(+) games here but that still leaves 30ish for someone else and it has to be an upgrade on what Forsberg and Soogard provided last season.
I hear you. I wouldn't have even mentioned it if he hadn't spoken so openly about it and his desire to play as much as possible. It really sounds like he's wanting to be that 55-60 game kind of guy, but obviously didn't get specific on the number.

Also spoke about being a tandem with his old friend Forsberg, so I'd personally be surprised if there's a change there. Unlike Korpisalo, he was coming off the double knee surgery, so maybe there's some optimism around his performance improving.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

So much gets made about Ottawa being a goalie graveyard, but I feel that gets a bit overblown. The talent brought in has not been A caliber most of the time and while some of them had times of consistency, I don't think guys like Hammond, Condon, Nilsson, Emery, Korpisalo, Forsberg, etc. were all that great for a ceiling, so to see them crater wasn't that surprising. Then you have the guys brought down by injury (or having affected their play too much by then) like Leclaire, Talbot and Murray. Anderson was great and really they just rode him a little long making that last contract look questionable. Bishop/Lehner each had success in the league elsewhere.

Imo the guys with the talent to be a starter showed that most of the time or after they left, or were too injury prone by then, but a lot of these guys brought in were just not the type of talent to lead a team, like the 2 last year.
EK vibes, Alfie, Giroux, Anderson, Chara at the end. I bet he can play 60 games easy.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
I like this trade a lot.

a) We got rid of Korpisalo's contract
b) We either get useful goaltending from now on or the claim that the goaltending-situation wasn't actually due to terrible goaltending, but due to bad defense systems will be verified (allowing to improve anyway, because you can't deny this problem with a Vezina-goalie in net: no way of ignoring the elephant in the room).

Whatever the result might be, the team should improve. Great trade.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
EK vibes, Alfie, Giroux, Anderson, Chara at the end. I bet he can play 60 games easy.
I was originally going to say a cross between EK/Alfie. I don't know what it is but I find Swedes so well spoken a lot of the time and seem to go further and more genuine in these little media dances. Naslund and Edler were two others that impressed me anytime they were on the mic.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe we'll have to wait till his kids have settled into school a bit and the family gets used to Ottawa to see if they decide to stay here. Sounds like there's a good chance. Hopefully Forsberg can return to form after those crazy knee injuries. Opportunity for a great tandem going forward. So much pressure for a good start to the season this year. Hope they can feed off it.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

This article from Wayne Scanlan outlines just how poorly the Sens have done with drafting of Goalies.

The article is from exactly 2 years ago. At that time, we had drafted a total of 23 goalies (now 25) and the best we have to show for it in terms of wins (with Ottawa) by a drafted Sens goalie is this:

1. Ray Emery: 71 Wins
2. Brian Elliott: 59 Wins
3. Robin Lehner: 30 Wins

Here is the article:

I know that all 3 of these guys (especially Elliott) went on to other teams had pretty decent careers but all things considered your #1 drafted goalie has 71 wins over 30+ years of franchise existence??

That is laughable.

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
This article from Wayne Scanlan outlines just how poorly the Sens have done with drafting of Goalies.

The article is from exactly 2 years ago. At that time, we had drafted a total of 23 goalies (now 25) and the best we have to show for it in terms of wins (with Ottawa) by a drafted Sens goalie is this:

Here is the article:

I know that all 3 of these guys (especially Elliott) went on to other teams had pretty decent careers but all things considered your #1 drafted goalie has 71 wins over 30+ years of franchise existence??

That is laughable.
In looking at further, Brian Elliott went on to have a really good career, with nearly 300 Wins and really not one bad season, with the exception of his short time with Colorado (to whom he was traded to for Craig Anderson):

1719520667732.png

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

Here is the article:

That is laughable.
Is it the goalies or the systems we've played as a team for the entire time? I don't remember when we had a great defensive team structure that synergized with good netminding. Goalies are notorious for being mentally driven, any young rookie can and likely will have their confidence destroyed on a team that gives up a ton of chances on their net. They never seem to have a chance to settle in and establish themselves and grow into their full potential at the most critical and vulnerable stage of their career here. It's no coincidence why alot of them move on to other teams and start looking solid, and vice versa when we acquire goalies from outside.

As for drafting, Lehner had the potential to be legit but off ice issues derailed his entire career. That position is regarded as the most difficult to draft for a reason.. you need some serious luck and great mentorship.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Here is the article:

That is laughable.
Ya the drafting side has been a mess. No doubt about that. I kind of forgot about that whole side of it when I posted, but that's obviously a big reason why we've gone through so many guys being brought in that were basically a hope and a prayer.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Goalie coach Bob worked with Korpisalo in LA. They know each other and he played really well with him.
So they knew what they were getting.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Bob Essensa has worked for the Bruins for the past 20 years, this will be their first time together
I thought that. I guess I misunderstood don sweeney today. I THOUGHT I heard him say they worked together in LA.
My mistake.
Brain got broken for a second there. :)

Reactions: BondraTime

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
That makes the trade SS negotiated even more impressive.
Doesn't surprise me he didnt have ottawa on his list. Alot of Swedes like Canada. Stockholm and Ottawa are similar sized with similar vibes.

Left of Centre, chill, outdoorsy, winter sports and great family place.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Another interview with Ullmark post trade.

Edit: Interesting to hear his comments about NTC, and the reaction he got when leaving Buffalo vs when leaving Boston as well as the reception he's gotten from Ottawa.

Really get the feeling that he's genuinely excited for the opportunity in Ottawa, looking forward to seeing him suit up.

Last edited:

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Boston receives
C Dean Letourneau(6’6”)
C Mark Kastelic(6’4”)
G Korpisalo at 3mil

That’s good.
Fair trade.

Reactions: Senovision

Ad