Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I don’t t think Peterborough have the assets Kingston would want in a trade for Frasca. Their tradable assets are younger players and Kingston are likely looking for 19 year old players which the Petes don’t have. It could be a draft pick only trade but I don’t see Peterborough trading multiple high draft picks for a two year player.
Well right away he would be likely the best player or at very least a top 2 or 3 on the team and you get him for 2 atleast, maybe 3 years if he doesn’t progress enough. Over the next 2 or 3 seasons you guys are going to be a good up and coming team with all your 17 year olds now. It fits the timeline like a glove. And if you want to sweeten the deal I’m sure the fronts would take sztuska if offered in the deal.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Well right away he would be likely the best player or at very least a top 2 or 3 on the team and you get him for 2 atleast, maybe 3 years if he doesn’t progress enough. Over the next 2 or 3 seasons you guys are going to be a good up and coming team with all your 17 year olds now. It fits the timeline like a glove. And if you want to sweeten the deal I’m sure the fronts would take sztuska if offered in the deal.
What do you think Kingston would want for him? I don’t think the Petes would trade Brayden McCallum, Caden Taylor or Carson Cameron in any deal.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Niagara is way too young. Very top heavy as well. No depth in lines 3,4 and absolutely 0 defence. Goaltending is suspect as well. They’re not playoff contenders, more than likely they’re playoff hopefuls.
I think you might be surprised. Consider that Niagara is only a couple of trades away from competing. Consider that most of their players are 1-4 round draft picks. That means that there is a lot of potential there. Boudreau has a lot to work with, and most of them are returning.

On paper, I like their lineup better than Kingston's, considering that your top four include Chromiak and Uens, as well as many late-round picks.

Imagine if they made a trade and picked up Mayich and or Mackenzie from Ottawa. How much that would tighten them up?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
To get used to NA sized rinks at level he can handle, and play a big part in helping a team win.
He is a defensive D. He is not going to set the world on fire with the offence; if you look at his stats, he never has. I will wait and see, but to be honest, I really do not see him here next year. Playing against men in a league that is competitive and somewhere between AHL and ECHL quality to me makes sense. He is not going to make the Pens for a couple of years anyway. He is going to have to play a couple of years to hone his skills. Also, remember, unless the Pens sign him, they have no control over where he plays they can suggest.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I was in the Ottawa thread yesterday talking about the availability of Caden Kelly lol but I’d much rather the Petes acquire Frasca. McCallum and Frasca would be two great ‘06s at the top of the lineup

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
One thing you are forgetting about Miedema Frasca and all the players who are drafted is that the NHL will tell them what to do.

All of these guys were the previous coach's players and were not held accountable. Man is going to demand accountability and two-way play.

Frasca may think he is god's great gift to offence but the NHL rookie camp will quickly remove that doubt unless he has learned at the moon school.

If the NHLteams think Mann is a good coach and can develop their players they are going to tell the kids that if they want to get signed they are going to have to show they deserve it and Mann is their best bet.

As to Burns, there really is no great trade offer. You have a kid that is double-digit minus and not a goal scorer. Therefore with the glut of OA LHD I really do not see a high value for him.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
What do you think Kingston would want for him? I don’t think the Petes would trade Brayden McCallum, Caden Taylor or Carson Cameron in any deal.
After looking at the roster I think if not one of those guys. Maybe sztuska. If not one of those 4 I don’t see it happening.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think you might be surprised. Consider that Niagara is only a couple of trades away from competing. Consider that most of their players are 1-4 round draft picks. That means that there is a lot of potential there. Boudreau has a lot to work with, and most of them are returning.

On paper, I like their lineup better than Kingston's, considering that your top four include Chromiak and Uens, as well as many late-round picks.
Uens should be no higher than our 3rd line. Chromiak likely won’t be back. Who on their defence is better than burns or pieniniemi?
Imagine if they made a trade and picked up Mayich and or Mackenzie from Ottawa. How much that would tighten them up?
That would help them for sure. However inevitably Kingston will be making some moves to improve as well.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
As to Burns, there really is no great trade offer. You have a kid that is double-digit minus and not a goal scorer. Therefore with the glut of OA LHD I really do not see a high value for him.
Been their best d man the past 2 years. (Schmidt was great but he wasn’t here the full year so I’m not counting him.) Bound to improve this year with better defence and team around him. Also another nhl rookie camp and maybe a main camp depending on how well he does. You don’t think that has any value beast??

He is a minus on a club that had a lot of minuses. They were mediocre the whole year and struggled with injuries on the d end at certain points in the year. I think the most they won in a row was 4 and they lost 4 or more multiple times. He played probably the most out of any player on Kingston and doing that on a 7th placed team I’m not surprised

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Been their best d man the past 2 years. (Schmidt was great but he wasn’t here the full year so I’m not counting him.) Bound to improve this year with better defence and team around him. Also another nhl rookie camp and maybe a main camp depending on how well he does. You don’t think that has any value beast??

He is a minus on a club that had a lot of minuses. They were mediocre the whole year and struggled with injuries on the d end at certain points in the year. I think the most they won in a row was 4 and they lost 4 or more multiple times. He played probably the most out of any player on Kingston and doing that on a 7th placed team I’m not surprised
He might have been the best Defenceman on the Front, but looking at the players you had last year, is that really saying anything?

As to Pieninemi, can we just work on players that you do have? Remember they will have draft picks in the Euro draft also.

One or 2 players do not make a defence. It takes 4-6 good players to make a defence. BUT I am not saying they will be better than Kingston; I am saying that they will be part of the hunt for a playoff spot, possibly mid-pack.

Kington also has a few holes that it has to fill, and it will be interesting to see how it does.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
After looking at the roster I think if not one of those guys. Maybe sztuska. If not one of those 4 I don’t see it happening.
The Petes are not trading Brayden McCallum he is going to be their offensive leader for the next two couple of years and could be a future captain. Caden Taylor is going to be a goal scorer and Peterborough is not going to trade a 17 year old potential future 40 plus goal scorer for an underachieving 18 year old. Carson Cameron is going to be an elite defenceman in the league there is no way they are going to part with him. Liam Sztuska likely will be traded but he is likely not enough to make the trade.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Niagara probably has little to no interest in MacKenzie and Mayich. They already have five OAs to evaluate in training camp. I suppose an OA swap is a possibility.
In net they have Flores, Robertson, and the second goalie selected in this years draft.

The penguins have signed Pienineimi.
Burns is an ‘05, not an OA.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Niagara probably has little to no interest in MacKenzie and Mayich. They already have five OAs to evaluate in training camp. I suppose an OA swap is a possibility.
In net they have Flores, Robertson, and the second goalie selected in this years draft.

The penguins have signed Pienineimi.
Burns is an ‘05, not an OA.
Mayich would be an oa for OA He would also add leadership and ability
Pieninemi is a possible player

Burns may be a 2005 but I can not see him back in 25 and there are better or comparative players as OA that you can get cheaper.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mayich would be an oa for OA He would also add leadership and ability
I’m not sure Mayich fits. If Niagara goes for an OA D, it should be the best defensive D or a brute imo.
Is the Wycisk injury chronic, that is the big question for me. That kid exhibited some elite abilities, but not the ability to stay in the line up much more than a month before being out for extended periods of time.
Pieninemi is a possible player

Burns may be a 2005 but I can not see him back in 25 and there are better or comparative players as OA that you can get cheaper.
Burns and Pienineimi would be legit top 3 D this season. That is all that matters right now.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I literally could see them hanging up the phone when asked about Brayden McCallum.
They are going to mold that team around him.
Yeah I agree, Wilson LOVES him. Petes won’t give up Caden Taylor, Carson Cameron or McCallum so assume it would be just picks or maybe some other players cooper likes. Time will tell I guess but I’d love the for the Petes to somehow add Frasca

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The Petes are not trading Brayden McCallum he is going to be their offensive leader for the next two couple of years and could be a future captain. Caden Taylor is going to be a goal scorer and Peterborough is not going to trade a 17 year old potential future 40 plus goal scorer for an underachieving 18 year old. Carson Cameron is going to be an elite defenceman in the league there is no way they are going to part with him. Liam Sztuska likely will be traded but he is likely not enough to make the trade.
I agree on all. However if they traded Sztuska and a bunch of picks for Frasca that would help the pick situation a bit and kingston would get something good in return and they wouldn’t have to worry about salajko so it works out for both teams imo.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
'the petes are not going to be trading michael simpson'....

let mike oake make those calls my man..

Yeah if that got out to you I’m sure Troy has been well aware of that for a while and he DEFINITELY won’t be on the roster come September lol. That’s a HUGE no-no. What a stupid thing to do by Miedema
when in windsor i heard that miedema had a few issues but nothing big. his biggest issues where on ice, he has all the tools to be an elite power winger and be more dominant then liam greentree but zero compete and willingness to play the way he needs to be successful. i can see how that would grind on a coach, it did in windsor. he has the ability to be amazing, but seems happy to be a bit better then average.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

when in windsor i heard that miedema had a few issues but nothing big. his biggest issues where on ice, he has all the tools to be an elite power winger and be more dominant then liam greentree but zero compete and willingness to play the way he needs to be successful. i can see how that would grind on a coach, it did in windsor. he has the ability to be amazing, but seems happy to be a bit better then average.
This is a great summary of Miedema.
I think the part that really hurts him as people have seen shades of the talent and tools he has.
He's a great kid, comes from a great supportive family that is 100% behind him but consistency and drive is a major issue.

• Love

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

In regards to my comment about Michael Simpson. Rob Wilson in a preseason interview on the OHL Network talked about his returning overages and he mentioned three and what their expected contributions were. They were Connor Lockhart, Sam Mayer and Michael Simpson. Somewhere after that the decision was made to trade him. Connor Lockhart got caught in the numbers game with the unexpected strong start Jax Dubois had and the need to play two overage defencemen. As it turned out the Peterborough’s decision to sell was made late in the year (2023). It all depended on whether or not they got Tucker Robertson back as an overage. Rob on the post season interview on YourTV Peterborough said the Petes made the decision to sell when it was determined Tucker Robertson was not returning. If he did return they had a couple of players they planned to add to try to contend. If that happened Dubois, Mayer, Konnor Smith and Owen Beck likely would not have not been traded and they would have used their remaining assets to add a few players.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
In regards to my comment about Michael Simpson. Rob Wilson in a preseason interview on the OHL Network talked about his returning overages and he mentioned three and what their expected contributions were. They were Connor Lockhart, Sam Mayer and Michael Simpson. Somewhere after that the decision was made to trade him. Connor Lockhart got caught in the numbers game with the unexpected strong start Jax Dubois had and the need to play two overage defencemen. As it turned out the Peterborough’s decision to sell was made late in the year (2023). It all depended on whether or not they got Tucker Robertson back as an overage. Rob on the post season interview on YourTV Peterborough said the Petes made the decision to sell when it was determined Tucker Robertson was not returning. If he did return they had a couple of players they planned to add to try to contend. If that happened Dubois, Mayer, Konnor Smith and Owen Beck likely would not have not been traded and they would have used their remaining assets to add a few players.
do you ever think that what they say in the public is not always what they say in private?

my point if your telling people what will or wont happen, when you dont actually know. you said they would not trade simpson, they did days later. self awareness would suggest that maybe not tell people what will or will not happen when you were wrong last time. or you can dive back in again and may be right this time, but itll bite you again shortly probably.

dont lecture people about how wrong they are if you've been just as wrong yourself.

hell, i remember you telling everyone the petes would never trade lockhart unless it was for a massive return, and the return as very average. i bet you if someone posted in pre-season that lockhart would go for a 3rd and 5th, youd lecture them on it.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This is a great summary of Miedema.
I think the part that really hurts him as people have seen shades of the talent and tools he has.
He's a great kid, comes from a great supportive family that is 100% behind him but consistency and drive is a major issue.
Miedma is going to get another wake-up in a couple of months. Buffalo will I am sure tell him that if he wants to get signed he needs to up his game. I think that he will come back and understand from his agent and the Sabres that there is no money in his future unless he improves. Unfortunately, a great many kids think that when they get drafted, they have reached the holy grail. The unfortunate thing is tht that is the start of their journey. It just means that someone likes what they have but does not guarantee that they are going to buy the product.

Kingston has had a few of those players, Hughes, Moon, and Shutron, come to mind.

The catch is that Miedema value is going to be low for trade as no one is going to want him.

Mann may be the best coach as he is going to demand the most from his players and is not araid to sit the stars if ecessary.

As far as trades and what OHL teams are thinking, we really do not know a lot of teams, Kingston included, and have a lot of things to look at.

Kingston needs or decisions

Who is going to play Mann's style and listen to the coach?

Do we have a bonafide backup for Vaccari and is he the starting goalie tht we need

What do we do with Chromiak if no one else wants him, or is he part of our plan?
Do we have the parts to have a good, strong D corps for this season and the future?

Who are we ging to draft that is guaranteed to come to the team?
What is the succession plan for Mann?

we really are not going to know much until the NHL draft. Don't forget that if Frasca gets drafted, there is money that Kingston gets, so he is not getting traded.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
In Peterborough for the OHL season Opener Thursday the 26th, then home opener the next day vs Oshawa.

I don't think Kingston has anyone that will get an extended look at NHL camp and miss the first weekend like Ludwinski did - the only one would be Pieniniemi if he's a Frontenac by then.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
In Peterborough for the OHL season Opener Thursday the 26th, then home opener the next day vs Oshawa.

I don't think Kingston has anyone that will get an extended look at NHL camp and miss the first weekend like Ludwinski did - the only one would be Pieniniemi if he's a Frontenac by then.
Burns will probably make the main training camp. Not sure about playing any games though.

Don’t believe their defensive pool is exactly top of the league right now lol

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Burns will probably make the main training camp. Not sure about playing any games though.

Don’t believe their defensive pool is exactly top of the league right now lol
He'll probably make main camp but I'm guessing they'll send him back in time for the OHL season to start - he's still not even signed and they have 13 other already signed D, plus I'm guessing at least one or two NHL signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad