Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
UFA deals are so asininely stupid, especially for guys like Joshua, so that deal seems really good for Vancouver. I think there are some notable risks with him being a 1-year wonder, but considering what other teams would have paid in UFA, I can't be critical of this contract with those risks.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That's actually a decent deal for both sides if Joshua continues his play. Mikheyev out to retain Joshua is a decent move.

Pettersson would have been on the phone to Allvin asking for Mikheyev to be traded so Tocchet can’t put him on his line 😝

Lafferty got time next to Petts too and he’s gone 🤔

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
A rebuild inovlves getting rid of your valuable vets in order to obtain picks and prospects so you can be competitive in a couple of years. I would get rid of Rackell, Rust, Geno, EK, Pettersson, Jarry, Letang. Sid isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. If he wants to go to a contender I say send him. He'll fetch a good return.

Which one of these guys has value?

Pettersson, that's it.

Outside of Pittsburgh the view on any one of the rest of them isn't great. That's before you realize they all have serious trade protections. Remember how we got Karlsson? What do you expect to get in return for Karlsson just one year later that helps us in the future?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The forward group in FA is pretty stacked this year. You should be able to get some great bargains on 1 year deals. Will pay to not be super active in the first few days of FA this year imo.

Yeah the worst thing this team can do is hand out more long-term deal to mid players. Go after guys like Domi, Mantha and Duclair on 1 year deals, don't throw out huge deals at "better" guys.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I mean they signed Evan Rodrigues to a 4 year deal last summer.

Florida's true model is taking big swings and risks on players.

Which apparently we shouldn't do or something...
I was speaking in relation to the bottom six. He played up and down the lineup so it’s hard to say he was a bottom six guy but he kind of was.

I firmly believe building through UFA is not a good strategy.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The forward group in FA is pretty stacked this year. You should be able to get some great bargains on 1 year deals. Will pay to not be super active in the first few days of FA this year imo.

One year deals would be great. If we’re out at the deadline we sell for picks/prospects.

Everyone should be on a one year deal now 😝

Sideline

May 23, 2004
UFA deals are so asininely stupid, especially for guys like Joshua, so that deal seems really good for Vancouver. I think there are some notable risks with him being a 1-year wonder, but considering what other teams would have paid in UFA, I can't be critical of this contract with those risks.
It's the age old debate: does a contract being market rate for a UFA excuse it being a high risk of going south? If you want the player that's the kind of contract you need to offer. I'd sooner let someone else pay that money and gamble on 2 or 3 bargain bin guys on July 2nd for less term and a similar cap commitment.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

It’s Rossi but…

- Wants hockey trade for Jarry but they are content with Jarry/Ned to start the season if they can’t find a good enough deal. Blom is pushing for a spot.

- Most likely will attempt to fix team through trades, not as much through free agency.

- Wants to extend Petts this offseason.

- Beauvillier sounds like a free agent option Dubas is targeting.

- Nothing to worry about if Crosby extension isn’t done on July 1st. He’s been in Europe for most offseason. Matter of when deal gets announced.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
- Wants hockey trade for Jarry but they are contempt with Jarry/Ned to start the season if they can’t find a good enough deal. Blom is pushing for a spot.

Freud-e1624222045239.jpg

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Id be trying like hell to get rid of every bit of cap I could in the next few days. Keep space open in case guys like Roslovic, Foegele, Henrique etc slip through the cracks

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Which one of these guys has value?

Pettersson, that's it.

Outside of Pittsburgh the view on any one of the rest of them isn't great. That's before you realize they all have serious trade protections. Remember how we got Karlsson? What do you expect to get in return for Karlsson just one year later that helps us in the future?
EK, Rackell, Jarry have no value with current contracts, but we can retain salary. Geno probably could fetch a 4th.
Letang, Pettersson, Rust, Sid have trade value.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Beauvillier actually fits the idea of "one year deals for cheaper players", but he did have a really, really bad year last year.

I'm actually fine with extending Pettersson as long as the extension is under 5 years of term. He needs to be traded in the future, but I don't think a 28 year old Pettersson and a 32 year old Pettersson will have any different value. However, they need to be smart about the term with his deal so they can set him up to be traded in the future.

EK, Rackell, Jarry have no value with current contracts, but we can retain salary. Geno probably could fetch a 4th.
Letang, Pettersson, Rust, Sid have trade value.

Karlsson, Malkin, Letang, Rust and Crosby all have full NMCs and would extremely likely not waive for any trades.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Beauvillier actually fits the idea of "one year deals for cheaper players", but he did have a really, really bad year last year.

Good thing we didn't take a 2nd for Mikheyev to hypothetically sign Beauvillier.

Man, I hope I am eating crow on Tuesday. But, this is going to be potentially one of the worst off seasons we've seen as Penguins fans in the Sid era.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's also gonna rule when the team goes into next year with the killer Jarry/Ned combination but for like ~2M more expensive and watch people scramble around to tell me how that's actually a GOOD thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

It’s Rossi but…

- Wants hockey trade for Jarry but they are content with Jarry/Ned to start the season if they can’t find a good enough deal. Blom is pushing for a spot.

- Most likely will attempt to fix team through trades, not as much through free agency.

- Wants to extend Petts this offseason.

- Beauvillier sounds like a free agent option Dubas is targeting.

- Nothing to worry about if Crosby extension isn’t done on July 1st. He’s been in Europe for most offseason. Matter of when deal gets announced.
I think that’s a great strategy but last year I heard how Dubas was going to weaponize our cap space and it turned into Smith for a 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad