Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
For someone who claims to watch a ton of prospects and junior hockey, you seem to be inexplicably detached from reality. There isn't much defense on display in juniors. Everyone "bleeds chances against". The exception is junior teams that are ridiculously stacked, that just completely out-talent the opposition.

Almost every single junior league on the planet is offense first. Run and gun, high scoring, risk taking hockey. The reasoning is pretty f***ing obvious to anyone paying attention. Guys don't get drafted for their defense. Guys especially don't get drafted in the 1st round for their defense. You want to hit the NHL, you better f***ing put up points.

I do think it's cute how you're already walking back your "KORCHINSKI WAS A TERRIBLE f***ING PICK" take, though.
Teams in junior may be offense oriented, but I've seen plenty of great defensive minded players. And they do get drafted based on that ability. No idea what your point is.

I'm not sure why you inserted a fake quote either,

The pick in isolation wasn't good, but Nazar falling to 13 made it okay because they should have been drafted in opposite spots. Which doesn't matter in the end.

It's like Reichel. I like Reichel, but they obviously should have drafted Mercer. Korchinski is a good prospect, but if they wanted to draft a LD, they obviously should have drafted Mintyukov.

But feel free to be agitated for no apparent reason.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
A lot of the takes I've read on this guy pre and post draft were very boom-or-bust, long term project, bad at defense, but he looks more like a guy who could make the league next year.

Reactions: Muffinalt

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
A lot of the takes I've read on this guy pre and post draft were very boom-or-bust, long term project, bad at defense, but he looks more like a guy who could make the league next year.
To be honest, he could have made the roster this year. He was one of the top 6 Blackhawks defensemen in the preseason.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
The major positive thing with pre season Korchinski is that he has shown he's the same player in juniors as he is in the NHL. (Savoie has shown this too)

That means both the strengths and weaknesses in his game have carried over to the next level.

The weaknesses carrying over just means he's not NHL ready, but the strengths carrying over is what separates a good prospect from a bust. The guys that can't translate their defining skills are the ones that struggle to make it.

What I said about Korchinski in my draft report was that he "Lacks a powerful shot from the point. Struggles at times to trap or contain oncoming attackers. Good at facilitating offense."

All those things have been true in pre season.

His shot needs work, he bleeds scoring chances against, but he's been really good at facilitating offense. That hail marry pass to Reichel was a great example, or really anytime he's held the blueline in the O zone.

So there's a lot for him to continue working on in Seattle (and later Rockford) but the good in his game has shone through and that's very promising.
Oh dear god that sounds Eric Gustafsson. Gus had good shot though.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Teams in junior may be offense oriented, but I've seen plenty of great defensive minded players. And they do get drafted based on that ability. No idea what your point is.

I'm not sure why you inserted a fake quote either,

The pick in isolation wasn't good, but Nazar falling to 13 made it okay because they should have been drafted in opposite spots. Which doesn't matter in the end.

It's like Reichel. I like Reichel, but they obviously should have drafted Mercer. Korchinski is a good prospect, but if they wanted to draft a LD, they obviously should have drafted Mintyukov.

But feel free to be agitated for no apparent reason.

Sorry. Your quote was more like "noooooo, noooo, nooooooo, I f***ing hate it!" and "HE'S NOT A STUD!"

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Indeed.

Give him 2 more years in Junior and 1 in the AHL with a potential late season call up.

This team is going to be a dumpster fire for 3 seasons. No need to rush any prospect.

Edit: Looks like he's not AHL eligible this year or next year.

My guess is he goes to juniors this year, then the NHL next, if he impresses at camp. I can't see him going back to the CHL if he's got another year of improvement under his belt from how he played this preseason.

It's just as easy to mess up a player's development by holding him back, as it is by rushing him in. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Edit: Looks like he's not AHL eligible this year or next year.

My guess is he goes to juniors this year, then the NHL next, if he impresses at camp. I can't see him going back to the CHL if he's got another year of improvement under his belt from how he played this preseason.

It's just as easy to mess up a player's development by holding him back, as it is by rushing him in. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

If it was up to me I would play it safe with Korchinski.

Makar had 2 full years in college before he played in the NHL.

It also took Seider a couple seasons before playing for Detroit.

Korchinski has also looked impressive in NHL pre season games only. The competition is toned down from the regular season.

Everyone can see the potential but he needs seasons to develop. Don't want to "Boqvist" this kid.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Korchinski has also looked impressive in NHL pre season games only. The competition is toned down from the regular season.

Everyone can see the potential but he needs seasons to develop. Don't want to "Boqvist" this kid.
I'm concerned about his shot. Reminds me a bit of Kirby Dach.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Makar went the University route, and comes out more polished, because he's older and more mature already. His body, strength, and conditioning are closer to his peak form for the NHL by going that route.

Makar had 4 years of juniors from 16-20, then 2 years of college for his 20-21 years. Came into the NHL at age 22 essentially?

Korchinski isn't going the college route, he's going the CHL route, and with that, I believe he'll be forced to enter the AHL or NHL at age 19-20? They're not really good comparables. Korchinski could realistically do 2 years in juniors, but if he's dominating his competition this season, and there's nothing left to learn there, he should be in the NHL. No sense in forcing him to stay in juniors if he's ready. Which is why I said if he looks ready in the preseason, and developed from how well he looked this preseason, then there's no reason to send him back for a second year.

Hard to compare players that go the two different directions.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawksrule and Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad