Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Makar went the University route, and comes out more polished, because he's older and more mature already. His body, strength, and conditioning are closer to his peak form for the NHL by going that route.

Makar had 4 years of juniors from 16-20, then 2 years of college for his 20-21 years. Came into the NHL at age 22 essentially?

Korchinski isn't going the college route, he's going the CHL route, and with that, I believe he'll be forced to enter the AHL or NHL at age 19-20? They're not really good comparables. Korchinski could realistically do 2 years in juniors, but if he's dominating his competition this season, and there's nothing left to learn there, he should be in the NHL. No sense in forcing him to stay in juniors if he's ready. Which is why I said if he looks ready in the preseason, and developed from how well he looked this preseason, then there's no reason to send him back for a second year.

Makar was in college for his D+1 and D+2 seasons but he was a late birth year, so he didn't start school until the year he turned 19. He was in school for his 19 and 20 year old seasons. Came out and start in the NHL for his 21-year-old season.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Makar was in college for his D+1 and D+2 seasons but he was a late birth year, so he didn't start school until the year he turned 19. He was in school for his 19 and 20 year old seasons. Came out and start in the NHL for his 21-year-old season.

You're right. He turned 21 the season he started full-time in the NHL. Next season, Korchinski either has to go back to the WHL, or play for the Hawks, at which point he'd be 19. Like a two full years younger than Makar. If he goes back to the WHL for the next year, he'll be 20 when he comes in, just a couple months after his birthday.

It's just my opinion that if he comes in next year, and looks this good in camp, and has a dominating junior year for this current season, then why send him back there? What does he have to learn? He could be like 20 years old playing against a bunch of little kids. I mean, he could be 6'1 and 190-200lbs playing against high school freshman that are like 4'8 and 120lbs soaking wet? Ehhhh. I've never liked the idea of keeping a guy down in the juniors too long, simply for that factor. Of course he'll dominate when he's 3-4 years older, bigger, stronger, and faster, than any of his competition.

I still think it's a bad comparison to draw because they're going different routes.

College kids all play other college kids. More developed, stronger, bigger, faster, older. Korchinski can play against barely 16 year olds in the CHL. Big difference there, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009

Attachments

• 1664844514748.png
    1664844514748.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1664844557281.png
    1664844557281.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 1

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He's a defenseman.
(Btw I do think having a decent shot matters for offensive defensemen)

The most important trait when it comes to a defenseman and his shot is accuracy(getting it through traffic). Next up would be quickness of release. Shot power is ridiculously overrated for defensemen. A decent shot is exactly what he has. For some reason, scouts still expect defensemen to have a booming shot if they are an offensive defensemen. It's an outdated concept.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The most important trait when it comes to a defenseman and his shot is accuracy(getting it through traffic). Next up would be quickness of release. Shot power is ridiculously overrated for defensemen. A decent shot is exactly what he has. For some reason, scouts still expect defensemen to have a booming shot if they are an offensive defensemen. It's an outdated concept.
Ya, I came of age as a hockey fan during the DPE in the late 90s so excuse me if I still have some of those traditional biases. I'm still a size junkie and a sucker for a D with a great shot.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Ya, I came of age as a hockey fan during the DPE in the late 90s so excuse me if I still have some of those traditional biases. I'm still a size junkie and a sucker for a D with a great shot.
It's really never been about shot power when it comes to scoring goals. In any era. Velocity obviously helps, but it is all about release. Ask any goalie out there. The hardest guys to stop are the guys with the quickest release. Not the guys with the hardest shot.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's really never been about shot power when it comes to scoring goals. In any era. Velocity obviously helps, but it is all about release. Ask any goalie out there. The hardest guys to stop are the guys with the quickest release. Not the guys with the hardest shot.
No recent era but blowing it past a guy playing stand up was absolutely an option if you could.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seabrook had good shot that he didn't use enough when going in recent memory

Hawks really haven't had a guy with a great shot on blueline since Suter

Enjoyed when Suter was on PP and would blast it

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Seabrook had good shot that he didn't use enough when going in recent memory

Hawks really haven't had a guy with a great shot on blueline since Suter

Enjoyed when Suter was on PP and would blast it
Your kidding me right? Seabrook had 38 career PPGs...103 career Gs, 19 GWGs, 7 OTGs...

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
KK (and Dach before him) are excellent examples of why the NHL/CHL transfer agreement is trash. Kids too good for Junior (probably KK next year), but they can't play in the AHL yet. So they either go back and don't progress as much because they need to be playing a level higher, or they get rushed to the NHL because there's no in between.

There needs to be exceptions.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
KK (and Dach before him) are excellent examples of why the NHL/CHL transfer agreement is trash. Kids too good for Junior (probably KK next year), but they can't play in the AHL yet. So they either go back and don't progress as much because they need to be playing a level higher, or they get rushed to the NHL because there's no in between.

There needs to be exceptions.
You just want Korchinski to be a Hog....

Though you are right.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I wouldn't put Korchinski in the camp of being too good for juniors right now. I think he should be playing his whole 18 year old season in the WHL.

But yeah playing his 19 year old season in the WHL (2023-24) won't be necessary and it'd be nice if it were possible to play in Rockford for that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad