Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
KK (and Dach before him) are excellent examples of why the NHL/CHL transfer agreement is trash. Kids too good for Junior (probably KK next year), but they can't play in the AHL yet. So they either go back and don't progress as much because they need to be playing a level higher, or they get rushed to the NHL because there's no in between.

There needs to be exceptions.
It's critical to the CHL's survival to be able to use guys just like Korchinski to sell tickets.

Fairly important that the NHL's main feeder system remains healthy, no?

Reactions: Space umpire

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I wouldn't put Korchinski in the camp of being too good for juniors right now. I think he should be playing his whole 18 year old season in the WHL.

But yeah playing his 19 year old season in the WHL (2023-24) won't be necessary and it'd be nice if it were possible to play in Rockford for that season.
He could go play next year in Europe

Reactions: Pertti

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
People from Canada keep telling us Americans that.
And yet I never read about what a shame it is that NHL picks stay in US college programs for too long, instead of graduating to the AHL.

The health of the NHL's feeder systems is paramount.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
USNDP doesn’t force kids to stay in the program, right? On top of your point, I’m not sure how it’s even an appropriate compare it to the CHL.
Auston Matthews left the USNDP to go play in Switzerland for a million dollars his draft year because everyone knew he was going first overall. Somehow the program survived.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Auston Matthews left the USNDP to go play in Switzerland for a million dollars his draft year because everyone knew he was going first overall. Somehow the program survived.
Ya, it seems pretty weird to say “this feeder program can’t survive unless we can hold these kids hostage.”

Just seems like shitty management and selfishness.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The CHL is far more lucrative than any American junior league.

It would obviously survive if kids could leave to play in the AHL, but that would cause a dip in profits so they would never sanction it.
So it is holding kids hostage over selfishness and profits. Good to know the “it won’t survive” narrative is b.s.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So it is holding kids hostage over selfishness and profits. Good to know the “it won’t survive” narrative is b.s.
200.gif

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Unless the player is dominating there is no harm in staying in the CHL.
Dach is mentioned above. He was never a dominant player in JR. and should have stayed there.
Maybe KK has a truly special year but so far I can see 2 more yrs there and one (or 2) in the A.
That's a fine argument. Saying he should stunt his development for the good of the CHL is not.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I expect that Americans will never understand that proposing the NHL be able to raid the CHL of its its highest profile, most saleable assets is short sighted and doesn't make sense to the long term health of the CHL.

Korchinski, specifically, is not so far ahead in his own development that he will see no benefit from another year there.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I expect that Americans will never understand that proposing the NHL be able to raid the CHL of its its highest profile, most saleable assets is short sighted and doesn't make sense to the long term health of the CHL.

Korchinski, specifically, is not so far ahead in his own development that he will see no benefit from another year there.
I fully understand it's bad financially for owners of CHL teams. I just don't care.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The CHL plays a large part in developing that talent.
And if it wasn't that vacuum would just remain unfilled? Of course not.

It's f***ed that guys are contractually forced to play in a league beneath their ability and potentially harming their growth so that people can keep making money off of them. This isn't even about Korchinski.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
And if it wasn't that vacuum would just remain unfilled? Of course not.

It's f***ed that guys are contractually forced to play in a league beneath their ability and potentially harming their growth so that people can keep making money off of them. This isn't even about Korchinski.
You forgot to add “I expect that Canadians will never understand.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad